General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jmgraham
(newbie) Wed 13-Apr-11 21:19:55
Print Post

FTTC Dundee Broughty Ferry

[link to this post]

Broughty Ferry has been anounched as getting FTTC from June 2011, thats 2-3 months away only, not seen any new street cabinets anywhere in broughty ferry. All i have seen is a few openreach vans parked around with engineers pulling some cables on Balgillo Road, dont know if it was fibre or not. Personally i doubt that they will be able to meet June target.
How long does it normally take from exchange being announced to the first FTTC cabs to be installed.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Apr-11 09:24:19
Print Post

Re: FTTC Dundee Broughty Ferry

[re: jmgraham] [link to this post]

They don't pull fibre they blow it - stops the fibre from breaking.
They use hollow black tubing to blow the fibre through, which may have been what you saw.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jmgraham
(newbie) Thu 14-Apr-11 15:19:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok, took a quick drive round today and found about 5 or 6 locations where carrillion or C Plan Telecoms are doing groundwork, none near me yet. I live on outskirts about 4 Km from exchange.
Do you think these guys putting in the new cabinet bases would have any idea of a build plan.

Edited by jmgraham (Thu 14-Apr-11 15:53:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jmgraham
(newbie) Fri 22-Apr-11 01:35:34
Print Post

OK so cabinets are starting to be placed around Broughty Ferry, still nothing near me which is kind of concerning. had a look on the roadworks scotland website and it shows BT doing work in various places locally. My cabinet is not on that site either but then again the street cab is not really near then road, about 20ft away on grassed area. Keeping fingers crossed.
nothing on BT ADSL checker but also checked some numbers near to the new boxes and they show no FTTC, hopefully they will update the checker soon.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 24-Apr-11 13:38:56
Print Post

What does the BT Wholesale checker say about your phone number?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User jmgraham
(newbie) Sun 24-Apr-11 19:18:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The phone number checker does not say anything for my number or even some numbers that i put in that i know are close to a fibre Dslam box. But the postcode checker looks like it has been updated as now says

"Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed between 27.5 to 28.2 Mbps and upstream line speed between 5.8 to 6.2 Mbps"

also when using samknows UK exchange mapping tool and clicking the map close to where my non-fibre streetcab is i get this output:

Nr Pcp31, Street Side Dslam Cab Nmaseu, Lawers Drive, Broughty Ferry, Dundee, DD5 3.

Not sure what the Nmaseu part means. I estimate the PCP is approx 400m away by road, maybe speed estimates are a bit conservative.

hoping it is on the rollout plan, maybe just one of the later ones to be installed.

keeping fingers crossed smile

Edited by jmgraham (Sun 24-Apr-11 19:19:10)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 24-May-11 11:16:57
Print Post

Hi, I noticed that you have used the checker and it reports that it should have fibre optic activated soon. I also live on lawers drive but entering my postcode DD53## it only tells me that adsl/adsl2+ is activated and achieve speed up to 4mbps. I currently receive just below 4mbps with sky. Out of interest what part of lawers drive do you live on?
Much appreciated
Standard User jmgraham
(newbie) Tue 24-May-11 11:30:31
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Hi, i live in the betts homes. I get around 3 Mb here. Seen a few openreach vans around, our cabinet is definetely on the list but dont know when.
Bt have some works due on the Arbroath road, if you check http://www.roadworksscotland.org/ you can see some scheduled works. around 20th June.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 24-May-11 12:18:17
Print Post

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I live just around the corner from Avon crescent on the main road but not sure if I will be able to receive it frown There is a small green cabinet at the bottom of Avon crescent but looks a bit small to be for broadband but I'm not sure. Definitely isn't a fibre cabinet. Have you have a fibre cabinet installed?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 24-May-11 12:42:19
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I know which cabinet you mean, that's not a fibre cabinet. It will be next to the existing cabinet which is on the corner of the arbroath road and panmurefield rd opposite the bell tree. So you are probably about 300-400 meters from it when it gets installed.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to