General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Apr-11 10:22:53
Print Post

Openreach modem

[link to this post]

Hi,

Just got my third modem in 3 months yesterday.

I know that many are finding them reliable, but the engineer who arrived yesterday said that they are having many problems with them...both with the modem itself AND the PSU. He said that all the faulty units are being returned to the manufacturer. I assume previously they were binned as natural wastage and only returned when it seemed that the failures were excessive.

As soon as the Billion 8200N is available, I will buy it. It makes me uneasy not haveing a spare. Much to SWMBO's disgust, I have many spares for my PCs...for some reason, she calls them 'junk' wink.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 16-Apr-11 10:34:20
Print Post

Re: Openreach modem

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

I had to have an engineer out last week- it turned out to be a problem in the cab but he came here first with a new modem, saying that more often than not a complete loss of connection was because the modem had gone belly up crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mr_bean
(learned) Sat 16-Apr-11 12:07:23
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

OK with mine so far but only 10 days in so not exactly a very long test.

Out of interest was yours vertically mounted - the OR engineer wall mounted mine saying that they'd had instructions to do them all that way. It doesn't seem to get too hot that way.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 16-Apr-11 12:16:41
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

I got mine last August and (fingers crossed) it's been fine- probably from an early batch when the makers didn't want to give a bad impression tongue

I've wall-mounted it, mainly to get it out of the way, but it first spent a week or two horizontal on the desk and even then it didn't get very warm, and certainly not hot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Sat 16-Apr-11 12:47:41
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
I had to have an engineer out last week- it turned out to be a problem in the cab but he came here first with a new modem, saying that more often than not a complete loss of connection was because the modem had gone belly up crazy

My main concern is that the cooling within the cab is up to the job. If we have a hot summer and the cabs end up in blazing sun all day, there could be some problems.
Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Sat 16-Apr-11 20:10:05
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

they will be fine

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Apr-11 20:59:14
Print Post

[re: andyboygsi] [link to this post]

My problems were definitely heat related. The modem is on the desk and the issue first arose at night.

I found the issue, DSL light cycling on and off, to be related to ambient temp. Also, if unplugging the modem for as few mins allowed it to cool enough to at connected for 10 mins. Mounting vertically helped n- the modem never got hot so I strongly suspect a dry joint.

Hopefully it will be okay now. At least resetting the profile seems to work better than with ADSL. It needs a modem reset to be apparent (profile went from 10000 to about 35000 and hour or two after the engineer left, then it seems to sync at maximum speed then slowly drops back. Apparently the engineers can no l,onger make a phone call to reset the profile as they could a few months' ago, it gets done (or should do) when they transmit the job to base as done. I requested it via my ISP as well just to be safe.

It helps that my dental nurse's boyfriend of a fast rising manager in Openreach wink.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Apr-11 00:15:50
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
It helps that my dental nurse's boyfriend of a fast rising manager in Openreach wink.
It's to be hoped he isn't seen to be helpful to customers. That would put the mockers on his career prospects!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Sun 17-Apr-11 00:43:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

correct

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Apr-11 16:55:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It's to be hoped he isn't seen to be helpful to customers. That would put the mockers on his career prospects!

He should be okay then...he was just helping a dentist who may treat him some day wink.

DrT

Print Thread

Jump to