General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 16-Apr-11 11:16:43
Print Post

What is the best DL Speed on FTTC

[link to this post]

Hi Guys
Im Currently Sync at 38717 / 10000 when downloading on steam / Torrents etc im Achieving 4.4 - 4.7mb/s dl i have only ever had 5.0mb one or 2 times if im not mistaken my actual speed is around 36-37mb based on 4.4/4.7 just woundering if anyone actually get the full 40mb and what speed that would be when downloading on steam or torrents ?
Standard User Squirrel
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Apr-11 11:31:43
Print Post

Re: What is the best DL Speed on FTTC

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

38717 is currently the highest profile you can be allocated. There are overheads in all TCP/IP data streams so 36-37 Mbps is not to bad. There are all sorts of other factors which need to be considered too, such as network congestion.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 16-Apr-11 14:27:25
Print Post

Are you aware of the difference between Megabits per second, (Mbps), and MegaBytes per second, (MBps)? Only the b/B distinguishes them, but in your post you only use "b".

The connection speed and IP Profile are in Mbps. File downloads, torrents etc. are usually shown as coming down in MBps.

There are 8 "bits" to a "Byte". So if you are getting 4.7MBps (MegaBytes) per second that is 37.6Mbps (Megabits) per second, which with an IP Profile of 38717Mbps is extremely good. You seem to have that sussed, from what you say, just the use of "b" throughout your post is confusing.

A reading of 5MBps would mean something is telling you fibs. It isn't possible. Though some speed tests, (so perhaps some torrenting software), can give impossibly high readings - this is usually due to buffering within Internet Security suites in between the actual download and presenting it to your computer, as it can build up a wodge that gets released at higher speed inside your computer.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User swervinc
(regular) Sat 16-Apr-11 16:02:02
Print Post

How often do you receive these speeds while downloading? I also sync at 38717 but have never received near 4MB/s . The last time I did was nearly a year ago. Just thought it was most servers not giving enough but I may have a problem =S. Thanks
Standard User Yerman164
(learned) Sat 16-Apr-11 17:15:57
Print Post

[re: swervinc] [link to this post]

There aren't too many websites that can support the full download speeds of 4.4 - 4.6mb/s. I tend to find it's only sites like Nvidia, Microsoft, Apple etc that give the full speed consistently.

The majority of websites seem to let you download at around 2 - 3mb/s. Newsgroups also work at full speed 24/7 for me.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 16-Apr-11 19:54:27
Print Post

[re: swervinc] [link to this post]

My torrent sites i alway get 4.0MB/s + and on steam same when dowloading from big names like microsoft / EA etc my snc has never change from top sync since i have had it i was just curious to see if anyone had better. anyway im on aquiss and had no issues and anything was better than 3.5 mb i was getting on sky smile
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Apr-11 17:17:39
Print Post

No, 38717 is the IP profile www.speedtester.bt.com is reporting. To have this profile, you are sync'd at 40000Kbps.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Apr-11 18:29:21
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Or close.

So far as I know my modem is still on its engineer-tested connection of 39992kbps and have 38717. I've seen someone else claiming the JDSU showed a bit more than that under 40000kbps and they too have 38717.

That's just minor nit-picking though.

Or is my memory incorrect? I could have sworn his tests were JDSU >> modem >> socket? Am I false-remembering?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Apr-11 21:28:21
Print Post

[re: Yerman164] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Yerman164:
There aren't too many websites that can support the full download speeds of 4.4 - 4.6mb/s. I tend to find it's only sites like Nvidia, Microsoft, Apple etc that give the full speed consistently.

The majority of websites seem to let you download at around 2 - 3mb/s. Newsgroups also work at full speed 24/7 for me.

The most reliable site for d/l testing IMHO is www,heanet.ie where many linux distros are located as well as it being a scourceforge mirror. Maxes out my FTTC connection @ 3.6 MB/s. Very reliable indeed. Also, I have to say the with an always on connection, beit ADSL or fibre, it is very important to have a continual download meter visitble. Without it on might think one's connection is working fine.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Apr-11 22:22:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Nah, Bob, the JDSU connects on the end of the RJ11 lead. Funnily enough, mine will often show less than 40000Kbps at the cabinet (especially on cold mornings). But the Eclipse test with the VDSL modem in sync, shows a higher sync.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to