General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Quark999
(learned) Sun 17-Apr-11 15:50:58
Print Post

How to get a Fritz!Box 7390 working as a VDSL modem

[link to this post]

I have finally had a chance to try getting my AVM Fritz!Box 7390 working as a VDSL Modem instead of the Openreach modem. It had been working fine as a router, but obviously I wanted to use the built-in modem as well, due to the pretty impressive statistics the box offers.

In short, I was successful! As reported previously, the modem synchronizes fine by default, but the PPPoE connection fails to establish - as willuk2010 helpfully found out, this is generally due to third-party modems not being set to the correct VLAN ID, which is 101 on Openreach. I can also confirm that this seem to be the same VLAN ID across the board, as I am on Aquiss - I was concerned that my VLAN ID might be different, but that does not seem to be the case (unline e.g. in Germany where Vodafone seems to be on a different VLAN than Telekom).

Here are the instructions:
a) Export your Fritz!Box configuration, just in case.
b) Download FBEditor 0.5.2 from http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=79513&... - you might have to register. This can be used to edit the configuration files. Theoretically, you can enable telnet access on the Fritz!Box by dialing #96*7* on an attached DECT phone, and then edit the configuration file directly using vi, but FBEditor is probably safer in case you mess up your stanzas.
c) When first opened, FBEditor will ask you for the IP address to your fritz.box and the web password. Once entered and connected, you can use the menu option "Datei" -> "Konfiguration einlesen" or just press CTRL-E to read in the configuration.
d) Find and change the following:
ar7cfg {
tcom_targetarch = yes;
vdsl_resalearch = yes;
}

dslifaces {
pppoevlanauto = yes;
pppoevlanauto_startwithvlan = yes;
}

dslglobalconfig {
default_tcom_vlan = 101;
}
e) Use "Datei" -> "Konfiguration zurückspielen". This uploads the modified configuration to the Fritz!Box, which will then restart.

If you have been using the Openreach modem, it is probably best to remove it from LAN Port one and change the configuration back so that the Fritz!Box tries to use the internal modem. Make sure you connect the Y cable to the NTE instead of having the Openreach modem connected.

Once rebooted, the Fritz!Box will synchronize again, and the PPPoE connection should be established automatically.

My stats (do I see potential for 15 MBit/s upstream in there?)
Send Receive
DSLAM-Data rate Max. kBit/s 40000 9984
DSLAM-Data rate Min. kBit/s 128 128
Capacity kBit/s 41136 16325
Current Data rate kBit/s 39984 9984

Latency 0 ms 0 ms
Carrier swap (Bitswap) on on
Impulse protection 0.0 0.0

SNR dB 7 16
Atennuation dB 7 -
Carriers A43 A43
Profile 17a

Edited by Quark999 (Sun 17-Apr-11 15:51:29)

Standard User colesy10
(learned) Mon 18-Apr-11 07:53:44
Print Post

Re: How to get a Fritz!Box 7390 working as a VDSL modem

[re: Quark999] [link to this post]

Thank you Quark!
It'll be interesting to see how you get on with the 7390.
Standard User Quark999
(learned) Mon 18-Apr-11 15:11:54
Print Post

[re: colesy10] [link to this post]

Stable now for about 24 hours, so I'd say it works fine!

Got some juicy statistics via telnet:
Extended Port Status
=================
Bme: 1 Port: 1
Downstream line rate: 43664 kbps
Upstream line rate: 10816 kbps
Bearer0 Downstream payload rate: 0 kbps
Bearer1 Downstream payload rate: 39984 kbps
Bearer0 Upstream payload rate: 0 kbps
Bearer1 Upstream payload rate: 9984 kbps
Downstream attainable payload rate: 41136 kbps
Downstream attainable line rate: 48224 kbps
Downstream Training Margin: 7.7 dB
Downstream Line Protection (Bearer1 Path): 0.0 DMT Symbols
Upstream Line Protection (Bearer1 Path): 0.0 DMT Symbols
Near-end ITU Vendor Id: 0x040041564d004410
Far-end ITU Vendor Id: 0xb5004244434da188
Downstream delay: 0.0 ms
Upstream delay: 0.0 ms
Tx total power -14.1 dbm
FE Tx total power 6.0 dbm
VDSL Estimated Loop Length : 1120 ft
G.Hs Estimated Near End Loop Length : 9787 ft
G.Hs Estimated Far End Loop Length :0 ft
Current framing mode: 0x10 EFM
Bandplan Type...........: 65
No. of Upstream Bands...: 2
No. of Downstream Bands.: 2
Line Type: 0x04000000

The "VDSL Estimated Loop Length" is very interesting, as I had a burnt out cab last year and the engineer told me I was about 330m from the cab. So 1120 feet is a VERY good estimate!

Also interesting is the "Downstream Attainable Line Rate", which doesn't seem to leave much room, but I'm not sure whether that is somehow capped.

The following are numbers I found on the German forums for a German VDSL connection - I wonder whether there's as much headroom in mine. Their training margins are much higher, and the loop lengths are much shorter (sigh):

Extended Port Status
=================
Downstream line rate: 63920 kbps
Upstream line rate: 13824 kbps
Bearer1 Downstream payload rate: 51376 kbps
Bearer1 Upstream payload rate: 10000 kbps
Downstream attainable payload rate: 101360 kbps
Downstream attainable line rate: 127888 kbps
Downstream Training Margin: 24.0 dB
Downstream Line Protection (Bearer1 Path): 1.0 DMT Symbols
Upstream Line Protection (Bearer1 Path): 2.0 DMT Symbols
Near-end ITU Vendor Id: 0x040041564d00440d
Far-end ITU Vendor Id: 0xb5004946544e933b
Downstream delay: 7.5 ms
Upstream delay: 7.8 ms
Tx total power 5.5 dbm
FE Tx total power 12.8 dbm
VDSL Estimated Loop Length : 549 ft
G.Hs Estimated Near End Loop Length : 1404 ft
Bandplan Type...........: 57
No. of Downstream Bands.: 3
Line Type: 0x04000000

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User colesy10
(learned) Tue 19-Apr-11 07:53:05
Print Post

Thanks Quark,
Did you see any speed improvements by changing to the Fritzbox, or was the BT modem doing well for you?

Edited by colesy10 (Tue 19-Apr-11 13:08:31)

Standard User Quark999
(learned) Tue 19-Apr-11 10:30:43
Print Post

The Openreach Modem didn't give me any trouble and I've been syncing at the max with both it as well as the Fritz!Box from what I can tell, but I had bought the Fritz!Box for its other features anyway, and I really like the idea of having everything in one device, plus the extra statistics.

I did have the occasional dropped sync with the Openreach modem (about once a week), so I'm hoping that my Fritz!Box will keep sync at all times. I will know that for sure in a few week's time, but so far it has been rock-solid.

All in all the Fritz!Box is definitely the best router I have ever had, bar none. There was a slight problem with the WebDAV client due to my English language setting, but that's a feature other boxes don't even have - all the important things work flawlessly. My DECT phone is connected to the Fritz!Box, my BT phone number has been migrated to SIP, I can make free calls from my iPhone using my home phone number using the iOS App, I can VPN in from any hotel's wireless LAN AND call my girlfriend for free using that, all kinds of things that people never even knew were possible.

Very happy.
Standard User colesy10
(learned) Tue 19-Apr-11 14:40:44
Print Post

Thanks again Quark.
You seem to be the man in know, would you know what chipset this modem uses?
It may be like the previous versions of the Ar7/ Texas chip, but I just wondered if you came across it in your searches.
Many thanks
Standard User Quark999
(learned) Tue 19-Apr-11 14:52:15
Print Post

It is using an Ikanos Fusiv Vx180 communications processor according to http://www.ikanos.com/news/press-releases/2010/AVM-S... and the German Wikipedia article on the Fritz!Boxes.

I hope that helps...

Edited by Quark999 (Tue 19-Apr-11 14:52:46)

Standard User colesy10
(learned) Tue 19-Apr-11 15:24:12
Print Post

Brilliant, thank you Quark.!!
Standard User lexden16
(newbie) Tue 19-Apr-11 15:33:30
Print Post

Slightly off topic. I, too, have a FritzBox 7390 and I think that it is a great router. I have had some problems maintaining an ADLS2+ connection when the phone rings. Forums on Whirlpool.au suggested using a second ADSL filter. This seems to have done the trick. My only issue with the router is simply that I cannot find an 'idiot's guide' for the router anywhere on the Web. For example, what is the relationship between a high DSL exchange CRC error rate and 'irrecoverable DSL errors' in the router log? After 3 days of holding a stable ADSL 11955/1083 synch with 12 CRC errors/per15 min (DSL EXchange) , my router re-synched overnight at 11827/888 and the CRC errors have totally disappeared. My LA/SNR are DS 15/14 and US 10/9. The router is showing a DS power reduction of 1db (whatever this means: it suggests that I have a very good connection but the stats suggest otherwise). The online help is very limited in scope (or, alternatively, it believes the user knows more than I do about ADSL).
Standard User Quark999
(learned) Tue 19-Apr-11 15:40:05
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

I think it's a bit unfair to expect the router to interpret these numbers for you, it's precisely the reason why most entry-level routers hide these values from you to begin with - if you don't know about them, you can't ask about an interpretation of them.

Those are similar numbers and statistics available from most "open" routers, so what you need is an "idiot's guide" to ADSL and not this router in particular. Unfortunately, I don't know of any, but maybe other people on here can help. I know that a "certain" amount of errors (and I believe even of "irrecoverable" errors) is normal, and the definition of what a "certain" amount is has never been established.

Sounds to me like a problem with your wiring and/or the ring wire. That obviously reflects in the stats one way or another, but they will never be able to tell you the *exact* problem...
Standard User lexden16
(newbie) Tue 19-Apr-11 16:05:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by Quark999:
I think it's a bit unfair to expect the router to interpret these numbers for you, it's precisely the reason why most entry-level routers hide these values from you to begin with - if you don't know about them, you can't ask about an interpretation of them.

Those are similar numbers and statistics available from most "open" routers, so what you need is an "idiot's guide" to ADSL and not this router in particular. Unfortunately, I don't know of any, but maybe other people on here can help. I know that a "certain" amount of errors (and I believe even of "irrecoverable" errors) is normal, and the definition of what a "certain" amount is has never been established.

Sounds to me like a problem with your wiring and/or the ring wire. That obviously reflects in the stats one way or another, but they will never be able to tell you the *exact* problem...

I have been there and done that. I fitted a filtered faceplate (without connecting the RW) and my CR shot up from 8800 to 11800. I then experienced the phone-related disconnect issue which was resolved with the additional filter. Everything seemed fine until today when the upstream connection speed dropped by 2000. I am not particularly concerned about: I am just trying to understand what my router stats are telling me. The FritzBox context-related help is not much use. Thanks anyway.
Standard User Quark999
(learned) Tue 19-Apr-11 16:28:31
Print Post

Maybe you can try getting some help here by opening a thread about your problem and then posting the figures and behaviour you see? There are some pretty savvy people around here, but they seem to usually jump on connectivity problem subjects, not threads about individual routers.

I've head all kinds of ADSL related problems at the the four addresses I've lived at in the past few years, but problems with dropped sync have usually been down to the line, and the noise profile set by the provider. With Be I could even set that through the web portal and it made a massive difference to speed vs. stability. I'm not sure whether you've tried that stability setting in the Fritz!Box configuration - maybe that makes a difference. But it could be that it can only be tweaked from the ISP's end...
Standard User laughingjohn
(newbie) Tue 19-Apr-11 17:05:16
Print Post

Thank you Quark. Very helpful!
Standard User m00g
(newbie) Wed 20-Apr-11 08:15:59
Print Post

OMG. That's awesome. Great information.

Unfortunately my bank account is going to have to take a hit on this one.

Just a n00b question - exactly what modem is inside the Fritz!Box? I could only find that it has an ADSL2 modem (a VDSL modem is not listed in the specs on the Australian site).

Edited by m00g (Wed 20-Apr-11 19:30:00)

Standard User colesy10
(learned) Wed 20-Apr-11 12:38:24
Print Post

I have ordered my 7390 this morning, so hopefully arrive tomorrow.
I will then set it up using Quarks instructions tomorrow evening and post my stats for comparison.
When I had my fttc install I took a photo of the engineers EXFO unit and it does indicate that my max bitrate is 59673kbps down, and 19004kpbs up.
The SNR margin was 12.8dB down, and 19.4dB up.

So will be interesting to see what, if anything has changed.
Standard User Quark999
(learned) Wed 20-Apr-11 13:55:47
Print Post

Let us know how it goes. I took a picture of my engineer's thingy as well, and it showed 39999/9999. I assumed it was capped, but yours doesn't seem to be - mine was an AXS-200/635, but maybe it was on a different "tab" and I didn't see the values you would have seen...
Standard User colesy10
(learned) Wed 20-Apr-11 14:37:55
Print Post

Same device as used by my engineer. The figures I quoted did come from the Line Stats tab, which is the second tab. The Test Summary tab did show the 9999kbps etc as yours.
Standard User Quark999
(learned) Wed 20-Apr-11 14:51:08
Print Post

Damn it. I should have fiddled with it while he went to the living room to call his colleague about this strange Non-Openreach router of mine smile
Standard User colesy10
(regular) Wed 20-Apr-11 16:04:15
Print Post

I won't even tell you what's on the third tab you missed then tongue
Standard User Quark999
(learned) Wed 20-Apr-11 16:11:45
Print Post

A Pot of gold? laugh

Damn, "DSL Params", sounds intriguing?
Standard User colesy10
(regular) Fri 22-Apr-11 08:31:20
Print Post

Got mine working now.
Quark I cannot seem to find the section or comand to enable ping respond from an external source.
Do you know where it is, or does yours repsond to external ping?

Here are my stats

Receive Direction Send Direction
Max. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 40000 9984
Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 128 128
Attainable throughput kbit/s 41664 15689
Current throughput kbit/s 39984 9984

Latency 0 ms 0 ms
Bitswap on on
Impulse Noise Protection 0.0 0.0

Signal-to-noise ratio dB 6 14
Line attenuation dB 10 -
Carrier record B43 B43
Profile 8c

Thanks

EDIT: For those others who are doing this, don't forget to enable Annex B in the Interfernce section of the web gui, otherwise you upload speed won't be at max.

Edited by colesy10 (Fri 22-Apr-11 08:33:54)

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Apr-11 09:44:59
Print Post

How did the sync speed/profile compare with the BTO modem?

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User colesy10
(regular) Fri 22-Apr-11 15:55:31
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

It's a bit unstable at the moment, and has caused my profile to drop.
Hopefully it will achieve a steady sync and settle down.
I'm not sure if it's the 7390 modem causing the problem, or I have had this problem and the BT modem just doesn't show it up as much as the 7390 modem.

I bought the 7390 because I struggle to get passed 24Mb on most days, so used this as a process of elimination.
Standard User colesy10
(regular) Sun 24-Apr-11 07:16:13
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Right because I have been messing with the 7390, my profile has dropped but here are some more stats.

Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 20000 5000
Attainable throughput kbit/s 36144 16477
Current throughput kbit/s 36144 9984

Latency 8 ms 8 ms
Bitswap on on
Impulse Noise Protection 3.0 4.0

Signal-to-noise ratio dB 6 12
Line attenuation dB 10 -
Carrier record B43 B43
Profile 8c

The wireless 2.4Ghz is terrible on this router though. I don't have any 5Ghz devices to test.
The throughput compared to the BT modem is better with speed tests now showing a better upload speed of around 0.4Mbps, and a tad more. So for example a typical speedtest now brings in 8.82Mbps, the BT modem would show 8.22Mbps (speeds vary at times)

Also I now find that my download speedtest is more constant. The 'speedo needle' of flash based testers used to jump around a fair bit now it stays a nice constant level.
This was noticed before my profile dropped.
the router does give error stats, but formatting them into a post is a bit of a pain, when I have more time I will post them.
It also show a spectrum graphs of the signal to noise ration and carrier frequency, you can also notice live bit swapping going on there.

No more messing for me now until the profile comes back up.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Apr-11 12:58:38
Print Post

I recently tried a different modem It d/l at 3.30Mb/s, the BTO one 3.70MB/s. I do not think it had anything to do with profiles as the speed change happened instantly with a change in modem.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User Quark999
(learned) Wed 27-Apr-11 10:28:31
Print Post

I don't think I had to do anything to enable external pings - all I did was enable Dyndns, and that Dyndns hostname can be pinged from outside.

I *can* report that although I always synced at the highest rates, my connection has been far more stable on the Fritz!Box. Ever since I plugged it in on 17/04 it has not dropped sync - the BT Box dropped about ever 3-4 days.

I also don't have problems with the wireless throughput, though I don't do much on 2.4 Ghz. I got 100 MBit/s + on 5 Ghz once, but I'm mostly using the new 500 MBit/s Powerline adapters which work like a charm.
Standard User colesy10
(regular) Fri 29-Apr-11 10:11:21
Print Post

As we have discovered the 7390 only seems to respond to a certain amount of pings due to it's built in security measures.
But with you help I have gained more access to the 7390 and here are some stats

SECONDS WITH                       REMEDIABLE ERROR (FEC)            NOT REMEDIABLE ERROR (CRC)

errors (ES)     many errors (SES)   per minute    last 15 mins       per min   last 15min
 FRITZ!Box            31            3                   520             1340              0.02     0 
DSL central exchange 6             1                   14                0               0        0 

?>

Min. DSLAM throughput kbit/s 20000 5000
Attainable throughput kbit/s 33472 16473
Current throughput kbit/s 33472 9984
Latency 8 ms 8 ms
Bitswap on on
Impulse Noise Protection 4.0 4.0
Signal-to-noise ratio dB 6 12
Line attenuation dB 10 -
Carrier record B43 B43
Profile 8c

Here are some telnet stats
Extended Port Status
=================
Downstream line rate: 49184 kbps
Upstream line rate: 14480 kbps
Bearer1 Downstream payload rate: 33472 kbps
Bearer1 Upstream payload rate: 9984 kbps
Downstream attainable payload rate: 33472 kbps
Downstream attainable line rate: 53008 kbps
Downstream Training Margin: 7.0 dB
Downstream Line Protection (Bearer1 Path): 3.0 DMT Symbols
Upstream Line Protection (Bearer1 Path): 3.0 DMT Symbols
Near-end ITU Vendor Id: 0x040041564d004410
Far-end ITU Vendor Id: 0xb5004244434da188
Downstream delay: 7.6 ms
Upstream delay: 7.8 ms
Tx total power -5.7 dbm
FE Tx total power 7.6 dbm
VDSL Estimated Loop Length : 1205 ft
G.Hs Estimated Near End Loop Length : 4611 ft
Bandplan Type...........: 15
No. of Downstream Bands.: 2

And here is how I got them
enable telnet on windows (on 7 and vista you must enable them under windows features in control panel.

elnet fritz.box
enter password
vdsl
end (this brings up the BME reference numbers) below

BME Reference board API Menu
Ikanos Communications Copyright 2000-2007
Version 2.2.0r6a14IKF6850
=========================================

2) Initiate Reset BME command
3) Configure System Provision (default values)
4) Configure Port Provision
5) Initiate Port Start command
7) Initiate Port Stop command
9) Start Loopback Test
10) Request Brief Port Status
11) Request Extended Port Status
12) Display Performance Counters
13) Get Near End SNR Margin and Attenuation
15) Display User Logs
16) Clear User Logs
20) Display this menu
21) Modify Port Provision
31) INI CRC Threshold
41) Port Error Count Management
42) Event Log Management
55) Board Configuration Management
56) OAM Options Mask Setting
57) Performance Management Parameter Configuration
58) Trigger PM Failures
59) Bitloading Per Tone
62) GPIO Test
70) Maintenance Mode
90) BME Firmware versions
99) Log off/ Go to auto mode
114) Clear Performance Counters
131) VDSL CRC Threshold
140) Internal EOC Commands
141) Overhead Message Commands
143) Remote Ethernet Status Report
150) Bit Swap Commands
212) Display All Performance Counters
820) AVM turn off AutoStart
821) AVM turn on AutoStart
Standard User Quark999
(regular) Wed 04-May-11 18:27:38
Print Post

Interesting - and something seems to be off with your RAS profile or whatever it is called now. Your Downstream Line Rate and your Attainable Line Rate are both higher than mine, yet your payload line rate is 33472 - I think this is where the profile kicks in. Mine is at the infamous 39984 maximum profile step, either yours is unstable or it is should ramp up to max.?
Standard User colesy10
(regular) Wed 04-May-11 19:28:31
Print Post

Yes my profile was max but the fritz reset the connection overnight every 5 minutes. One of the options I forgot to tick before heading to bed. That's the problem with setting it up just prior to midnight lol. Everytime I did tick the permanent option the modem would not sync unless I used the fb editor again.
I also played around with the ipv6 setting and can only get it working via 6to4 tunnel despite me having ipv6 enabled on my line so that caused another reset or 2 resulting in a further drop.
I'm hoping my ISP can get the profile changed to max for me but that is proving to be a struggle for them battling against BT.
Standard User lexden16
(newbie) Tue 12-Jul-11 14:13:31
Print Post

I have finally had a chance to try getting my AVM Fritz!Box 7390 working as a VDSL Modem instead of the Openreach modem. It had been working fine as a router, but obviously I wanted to use the built-in modem as well, due to the pretty impressive statistics the box offers.

In short, I was successful! As reported previously, the modem synchronizes fine by default, but the PPPoE connection fails to establish - as willuk2010 helpfully found out, this is generally due to third-party modems not being set to the correct VLAN ID, which is 101 on Openreach. I can also confirm that this seem to be the same VLAN ID across the board, as I am on Aquiss - I was concerned that my VLAN ID might be different, but that does not seem to be the case (unline e.g. in Germany where Vodafone seems to be on a different VLAN than Telekom).

Here are the instructions:
a) Export your Fritz!Box configuration, just in case.
b) Download FBEditor 0.5.2 from http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=79513&... - you might have to register. This can be used to edit the configuration files. Theoretically, you can enable telnet access on the Fritz!Box by dialing #96*7* on an attached DECT phone, and then edit the configuration file directly using vi, but FBEditor is probably safer in case you mess up your stanzas.
c) When first opened, FBEditor will ask you for the IP address to your fritz.box and the web password. Once entered and connected, you can use the menu option "Datei" -> "Konfiguration einlesen" or just press CTRL-E to read in the configuration.
d) Find and change the following:
ar7cfg {
tcom_targetarch = yes;
vdsl_resalearch = yes;
}

dslifaces {
pppoevlanauto = yes;
pppoevlanauto_startwithvlan = yes;
}

dslglobalconfig {
default_tcom_vlan = 101;
}
e) Use "Datei" -> "Konfiguration zurückspielen". This uploads the modified configuration to the Fritz!Box, which will then restart.

If you have been using the Openreach modem, it is probably best to remove it from LAN Port one and change the configuration back so that the Fritz!Box tries to use the internal modem. Make sure you connect the Y cable to the NTE instead of having the Openreach modem connected.

Once rebooted, the Fritz!Box will synchronize again, and the PPPoE connection should be established automatically.

My stats (do I see potential for 15 MBit/s upstream in there?)
Send Receive
DSLAM-Data rate Max. kBit/s 40000 9984
DSLAM-Data rate Min. kBit/s 128 128
Capacity kBit/s 41136 16325
Current Data rate kBit/s 39984 9984

Latency 0 ms 0 ms
Carrier swap (Bitswap) on on
Impulse protection 0.0 0.0

SNR dB 7 16
Atennuation dB 7 -
Carriers A43 A43
Profile 17a

I had to contact AVM Support about my 7390 so I took the opportunity to ask them about editing the VLAN configuration as I hope to get FTTC in the next few months. Their response was as follows:
A lab firmware (beta) has been released these days (in "FRITZ!Lab") which
offers a first experimental manual VLAN configuration option. Please feel
free to test with this FRITZ!Lab firmware, available at
http://www.avm.de/en/service/Lab/index.php

Information on FRITZ! lab
FRITZ! lab presents new functions and improvements for the FRITZ!Box before
these are implemented in the regular firmware update, however with beta
status.

For comments or other feedback regarding this beta firmware that are not
related to this issue, please use our link at

http://www.avm.de/en/service/Lab/labor_feedback_en.p...

After the installation of the lab firmware, you can revert to the current
official firmware via the recovery tool which is included in the download
file. We recommend the following procedure:

* Before the installation of a lab firmware, save the settings of the
FRITZ!Box ("System > Save Settings").
* Install FRITZ! lab firmware from our web site at:
http://www.avm.de/en/service/Lab/index.php

If required, you can install the official firmware again:

* Apply the recovery tool that is included in the downloaded lab firmware
file.
* Re-import the FRITZ!Box settings that were saved prior to the
installation of the lab firmware (via the user interface: "System > Save
Settings > Restore").

I am reluctant to use FBEditor as, technically, it invalidates the 5 year warranty on this excellent box. Grateful to know in time whether this beta update - which will no doubt be pushed out formally very soon - does the trick
Standard User DougM
(member) Tue 12-Jul-11 18:43:58
Print Post

I can confirm the lab release for the 7390 does add VLAN to the 'Account Information | Settings' page:
Please note that a VLAN ID is required only in special cases. The required ID was supplied by your Internet Service Provider.

Use VLAN for Internet access.
VLAN ID [ 0 ]

I've not been able to test since I'm using my 7390 on an ADSL2+ connection, patiently awaiting activation of the shiny new VSDL2 cabinet installed 2-3 weeks ago. Once I'm activated I'll report back if this works, probably another month or so frown.

-==-
DougM
Standard User colesy10
(regular) Wed 13-Jul-11 15:34:12
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

I'm going to hold out for the final release rather than the lab version.
I have a rock solid very good connection at the moment with ipv6, so don't want to perform a reset on the line at the moment.
Once it's released I will upgrade then and report back to tell if the fb editor is still necessary.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 13-Jul-11 16:54:08
Print Post

Has anybody use this and the Draytek Vigor 7250n?

I was wondering about which one to buy and wanted somebodies opion who had tried both.
Standard User m00g
(newbie) Tue 16-Aug-11 18:39:06
Print Post

[re: DougM] [link to this post]

Using the latest firmware, and manually setting VLAN ID to 101 apparently works according (somewhat tortuosly) to an Australian Whirlpool Forum post about BT FTTC and FB7390.

First of all I put on the Lab beta firmware.
After first disconnecting the Openreach Modem, I then attached the Fritzbox and tried to set up with the wizard, this did not create a successful connection.

I then entered the Fritzbox admin pages "OVERVIEW/INTERNET/ACCOUNT INFORMATION.

Under the SETTINGS Tab:
CONNECTION: I have, Internet connection Via DSL
OPERATING MODE: I have, Use one Internet connection for all computers (router)
ACCOUNT INFORMATION: I have, Account information required (PPPoE/PPPoA connection)

CONNECTION SETTINGS:
User name is: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password is left blank

Maintain Internet connection permanently is checked

Delay disconnection by provider to the period between 1-2 o'clock is checked, but I am not sure what this is for.

Clear Internet connection automatically after . This is UNCHECKED.

Prioritization of the network devices requires data about the speed of your DSL line:
Set the speeds of the DSL line automatically is CHECKED.

Under VLAN Settings:
Use VLAN for Internet access is CHECKED with a VLAN of 101 entered by me.

DSL ATM Settings:
These were left at default settings, which was define the settings.

PPoE
I have tried the setting DETECT here, but it goes back to Define the settings
and last of all:
Check the Internet connection after "Apply" has been clicked.

Connection was established.

I have also enabled support for IPv6.

If you require some screen shots of the settings pages I can email them to you.

If there is anything else you need let me know.
Standard User chrisadsl
(newbie) Tue 16-Aug-11 21:47:39
Print Post

I've got Fritz Box 7050 and if FTTC arrives our way on the next 6 months I was thinking of getting the 7390 (and hopefully be a bit cheaper by then!) But please tell me that it can be configured to show lengths in metres!
Standard User m00g
(newbie) Fri 19-Aug-11 14:45:18
Print Post

[re: chrisadsl] [link to this post]

Got BT installed yesterday.

confirmed that the current labs/beta firmware allows you to specify VLAN. I did not need to use FBeditor.

I've replaced the openreach modem and HH3 with FB7390 and all is good.
Standard User tonym
(member) Fri 19-Aug-11 15:23:53
Print Post

[re: m00g] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by m00g:
Got BT installed yesterday.

confirmed that the current labs/beta firmware allows you to specify VLAN. I did not need to use FBeditor.

I've replaced the openreach modem and HH3 with FB7390 and all is good.

The new official Firmware out yesterday, is supposed to enable the setting of the VLAN as well.

Leaving mine on the beta for another few days.

tonym
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 20-Aug-11 07:02:58
Print Post

[re: tonym] [link to this post]

Hi, I have a 3970 and just had infinity installed. I can confirm that the firmware released on 18th allows you to set the clan to 101 - which is needed. Other important factor seems to be that you need to have the option 'define ATM settings' set to Manual and NOT set to automatic. You can keep the default settings (mine is 1 and 32) - then it appears to work fine. Mine's been running for a day so far without incident. Hope it helps ... DaveT
Standard User tonym
(member) Sat 20-Aug-11 13:13:39
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Hi, I have a 3970 and just had infinity installed. I can confirm that the firmware released on 18th allows you to set the clan to 101 - which is needed. Other important factor seems to be that you need to have the option 'define ATM settings' set to Manual and NOT set to automatic. You can keep the default settings (mine is 1 and 32) - then it appears to work fine. Mine's been running for a day so far without incident. Hope it helps ... DaveT

I was using the default settings of 1 and 32 with the Lab beta firmware, tried to do auto but it resets to the figures above anyway.

I will leave mine running with the beta firmware for a few more days before I update to the latest official f/w.

tonym
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 20-Aug-11 19:10:54
Print Post

Just out of interest, has anyone experienced any issues with the fixed line pbx side of things? I have a dreadful background hiss when using the fritz fine via deft, or a normal phone via fon1. The quality of the sample hd voice is perfect, as are the spoken menus of the answer phone - it only happens when I make or receive fixed line calls. Bt installed the faceplate vdsl splitter when they installed infinity and I even tried another splitter before the fritz y cable, but it didn't help. Are y-splitter cables needed for vdsl ?

DaveT
Standard User DougM
(member) Sat 20-Aug-11 20:31:15
Print Post

Same for me, been meaning to try adding an extra filter to the voice side to see if it helps. For now I use the Fritz purely for SIP, not for PSTN calls.

-==-
DougM
Standard User tonym
(member) Sat 20-Aug-11 20:51:26
Print Post

Just out of interest, has anyone experienced any issues with the fixed line pbx side of things? I have a dreadful background hiss when using the fritz fine via deft, or a normal phone via fon1. The quality of the sample hd voice is perfect, as are the spoken menus of the answer phone - it only happens when I make or receive fixed line calls. Bt installed the faceplate vdsl splitter when they installed infinity and I even tried another splitter before the fritz y cable, but it didn't help. Are y-splitter cables needed for vdsl ?

DaveT

I will try it out tomorrow, only just set up the Fritz 7390 a few days ago.
I am using the supplied Y splitter and am setting up the Fritzbox as the dect base station.

Not using VOIP yet
I have 3 dect phones and have set the mobile phone HTC Desire HD to use the PSTN network while indoors for outgoing and incoming calls.

I shall also try a phone connected to FON 1 and let you know tomorrow about any noticble noise.

[edit] Have both of you had a look at this thread on the Aussie forums about noise:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1...

tonym

Edited by tonym (Sat 20-Aug-11 21:01:16)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 20-Aug-11 22:03:47
Print Post

Thanks for the link - symptoms sound very similar - although I'd already tried an additional splitter to the integrated one in the faceplate and it didn't help in my case. Background hiss is so bad I can't hear voices, so pstn calls currently not possible for me.

I've cleared the room of anything else remotely electric to ensure no interference and still no difference. Just to repeat though, messages from fritz built in answering machine are clear as anything - it's only when I access pstn.

I know for sure pstn is ok because I have tested unplugging just the telephone part of the y cable from the master socket and plugging a standard telephone in the master socket. Test call in and out were perfect and didn't affect Internet access via the fritz. Would be interesting to hear if others are affected and more importantly any ideas for a fix

DaveT
Standard User tonym
(member) Sun 21-Aug-11 09:26:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by tonym:

DaveT

I will try it out tomorrow, only just set up the Fritz 7390 a few days ago.
I am using the supplied Y splitter and am setting up the Fritzbox as the dect base station.

Not using VOIP yet
I have 3 dect phones and have set the mobile phone HTC Desire HD to use the PSTN network while indoors for outgoing and incoming calls.

I shall also try a phone connected to FON 1 and let you know tomorrow about any noticble noise.

[edit] Have both of you had a look at this thread on the Aussie forums about noise:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1...

Further to the earlier post, have tried dect phones using the Fritzbox as the base station, no sound problems.
I have tried a cordless dect phone plugged into FON 1 and again no sound problems.
I have tried a mobile phone using Fritzfon app to make calls via the fritzbox through the landline no sound problems.

This is with using the fritz supplied splitter cable and the engineer installed vdsl front plate.

have you tried updating the firmware to the latest Official release that came out a couple of days ago.

tonym
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 30-Aug-11 14:17:15
Print Post

ok, finally got the 3970 fully working smile

key things :
Make sure you're on the latest firmware (allows VLAN changes)
Choose VLAN 101
ATM must be set manual
usename : bthomehub@btbroadband.com

For voice interference problems, i did the following :

Tried my 3970 on a friends infinity. All worked perfectly - no interference ...

So I researched and found that the BT wiring coming into my house (one pair - BLUE/white and WHITE/BLUE). In my case it appeared that they had been wired incorrectly to the A and B termination points - so, er, naturally I called up BT and asked them to swap them round for me, cos you're not allowed to swap them by yourself ...

After that was done, everything works perfectly !!!

Hope it helps !

DaveT
Standard User willuk2010
(newbie) Mon 12-Sep-11 21:15:49
Print Post

-- removed and posted in the stats thread --

Edited by willuk2010 (Mon 12-Sep-11 21:52:04)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Sep-11 18:59:14
Print Post

new firmware does not need this there is an entry in the user interface for VLAN id
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 16-Feb-12 00:54:10
Print Post

Please could somebody in the know tell me one thing I an unclear on with the Fritz 7390...if I want to use it as my modem-and router on infinity and I set up all the parameters as listed in above posts my simple question before the engineer shows up is what wire/connection do I use on the infinity faceplate if I don't use the open reach modem do I use the splt y cable suppled right in the BT infinity faceplate or am I going to have to use a LAN cable?? (vlan terminology confuses me on this)...I am just unclear if it is the cable supplied with the fritzbox from the back of the fritbox's adsl port or lan1 to an rj45 socket on the BT faceplate to use it as a modem? anyone have a few picks to clear up what is used for infinty would be superb

Thanks
Standard User colesy10
(regular) Thu 16-Feb-12 11:24:53
Print Post

The engineer will want to fit the Openreach modem as that's in the terms and conditions, and for any fault diagnosis.

But if you want to use the Fritz then you can use either a normal RJ11 cable from the DSL socket of the Fritz to the top socket of the face plate (it accepts rj45 and rj11 cables). Or you can use the Fritz Y splitter RJ11 end or even a Cat5E/Cat6 cable from the the top socket of the faceplate to the Fritzbox DSL port.

The new firmware has a section you can just put the vlan id of 101, so no need of the older method of using special software.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 16-Feb-12 20:21:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by colesy10:
The engineer will want to fit the Openreach modem as that's in the terms and conditions, and for any fault diagnosis.

But if you want to use the Fritz then you can use either a normal RJ11 cable from the DSL socket of the Fritz to the top socket of the face plate (it accepts rj45 and rj11 cables). Or you can use the Fritz Y splitter RJ11 end or even a Cat5E/Cat6 cable from the the top socket of the faceplate to the Fritzbox DSL port.

The new firmware has a section you can just put the vlan id of 101, so no need of the older method of using special software.

So I can use the splitter cable as it sit in the dsl/ tel socket of the fritzbox? If I do have the modem put in but the remove it ASAP I just connect the split cable one into tel the other rj11 into the data line and that's it.... Sounds to good to be true. Also to clarify if I used a seperate rj45 cable it also will work in the dsl/ tel socket of the fritz.... or do you mean in the Lan1 port...

Has anyone just asked for the modem to be left off at install??

Many thanks
Standard User colesy10
(regular) Fri 17-Feb-12 09:37:48
Print Post

You have the right idea yes, and when I said DSL port I mean the DSL port and not the Lan1.

Edited by colesy10 (Fri 17-Feb-12 09:38:13)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 17-Feb-12 18:27:43
Print Post

You have the right idea yes, and when I said DSL port I mean the DSL port and not the Lan1.

Ok thanks, I might see how flexible the engineer is about me trying the fritzbox at infinity set up, I am just thinking out loud here but if the change my socket to the infinity face plate and do the set up in the cab down the road while they do what ever scan on the line they do would they object to me asking to set up myself the fritz as its a few clicks in the ui and it's set so if it works hen no harm no foul. If it does not sync as expected then let the hook up the openreach modem and then use he fritz as the router only ( not the HH3)....out of throughness of I was to use the fritz as the router how does that change the set up wire wise and in the ui...would I have to use lan1 in that case and is the router now set as a cable not dsl then...sorry just covering all the bases. Got one more about the split cable will it work in the phone and data socket of infinity as I do have a fritz mtf phone so would be curious if the split cable works in the same way as now...phone and dsl in the fritzbox as a single wire as I would ideally like the split cable in the phone and infinity sockets and get he fritz to be the router and modem while still having phone use on landline as it is now... Thanks again for the info just a but nervous about the switch as I am long term adsl user taking a new plunge
Standard User Quark999
(regular) Mon 20-Feb-12 17:27:11
Print Post

My suggestion would be not to mention the Fritz!Box at all and just let them do their thing. They can get mightily confused by having anything other than the OpenReach modem, and you're not really getting anything out of having it on there during install - if it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. In either case they won't help you with it...
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Feb-12 19:06:42
Print Post

My suggestion would be not to mention the Fritz!Box at all and just let them do their thing. They can get mightily confused by having anything other than the OpenReach modem, and you're not really getting anything out of having it on there during install - if it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. In either case they won't help you with it...

Good advice - If the OP doesn't use the OR modem, its likely OR reserve the right to discontinue your service - so it would be a good thing to have the modem in case an OR engineer visited smile

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User MJEdmunds
(newbie) Mon 27-Feb-12 17:03:13
Print Post

Thanks everyone for this thread.

After a year on FTTC; Plus Net notified an upgrade to the Openreach Huawei VDSL modem.

This seemed a good opportunity to try again with the 7390's VDSL modem.
Firmware updated to 84.05.06;
Set:
Internet connection via DSL
VPI=1; VCI=32;
and the newly available parameter VLAN-ID=101.

Openreach Engineer arrived with modem 22/2/12
- "the old ones had some components that got hot under heavy load and caused sync problems - so Openreach are sending them back to the manufacturer"
He and I tested both the new Huawei modem and the 7390 VDSL modem.
Both synced DSL and both worked OK - so the 7390 was left connected.
The Engineer said " I'm a poles and holes man - this jobs's more comfortable" as he declined coffee and drove off to Edmonton stores for 70 more modems.

The 7390 VDSL modem has now held DSL sync > 100 hours.
Current throughput 39992/10000
Attainable throughput 71928/28945 Kbit/sec between modem and cabinet.

Immediately after the 7390 was connected, thinkbroadband speed test gave 38000/9000, stable over 3 tests.

Next morning, 23/2/12 at 04:50 the exchange forced a disconnection and re-sync.
Since then thinkbroadband speedtest and the 7390 online monitor show an upstream cap at ~4300 Kbit/s.

That's still nice but for the past year it's usually been > 8000.

Plus.Net say "Wait 72 hours" and then suggest using
http://www.speedtester.bt.com
which reports
Download speedachieved during the test was - 35 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is - 38.71 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 9.18Mbps
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

This is roughly the same as the DSL speed as monitored by the 7390
- speedtester.bt would seem to test the link from exchange to modem - not from the ISP backhaul.

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer...
reports:
Estimated line speed:
Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
20 Mb

Not sure what this means?

Either Openreach or Plus.Net have set a cap on the up-link, possibly since the DSL re-sync 18 hours after the modem was swapped.
Standard User kasg
(experienced) Mon 27-Feb-12 17:12:14
Print Post

[re: MJEdmunds] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MJEdmunds:
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer...
reports:
Estimated line speed:
Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
20 Mb

Not sure what this means?

The 20Mb on the Plusnet profile is a special value that should mean you get full speed, so I wouldn't worry about that. I was instrumental in establishing that fact!

Kevin

plusnet Extra 80/20 trial
My Broadband Speed Test
Using OpenDNS
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 28-Feb-12 22:23:07
Print Post

Finally got fttc Installed and FB7390 up and running well after a few initial teething issues but it seems good one thing jam unsure of is which annex to use for BT vdsl2 A or B as I have read many options but am not really clear which is best for BT infinity....for example one person says Adsl is annex A but Vdsl is B so if anyone with knowledge about what is the right Annex and why could enlighten me it would be great, besides I am not sure what the impact is upstream and downstream would be on my line if I was on the wrong annex.
Thanks
Standard User asbokid
(regular) Wed 29-Feb-12 02:15:09
Print Post

unsure of is which Annex to use for BT VDSL2 A or B

ITU-T G.993.2 Annex A defines the VDSL2 bandplan and PSD mask specs for Region A (North America)
ITU-T G.993.2 Annex B defines the VDSL2 bandplan and PSD mask specs for Region B (Europe including Blighty)

See p.202 onwards in http://www.home.surewest.net/hyoung/T-REC-G.993.2-20...

cheers, a

Edited by asbokid (Wed 29-Feb-12 02:16:57)

Standard User colesy10
(regular) Wed 29-Feb-12 10:41:21
Print Post

As asbokid says, use Annex B. Using annex A halved my upload speed as I mentioned several posts up.

Be careful about making too many changes, the modem may reset and too many resets can cause the DLM to kick in.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 29-Feb-12 15:26:31
Print Post

As asbokid says, use Annex B. Using annex A halved my upload speed as I mentioned several posts up.

Be careful about making too many changes, the modem may reset and too many resets can cause the DLM to kick in.

Did not think there was a 10 day period now I am screwed as the engineer even said it was not that big a deal for modem to be reset or unplugged ( is only day one training but more than 7 resyncs due to router and wire faffing about)so I could get wires down right so there goes my profile still high at 38.7 but downloads seem to be slow at the moment compared to the speed so if I am lowered due to resyncs how long til the line learns I can actually get nearer 40 meg speed not 20-lower 30 's and my upstream is 5-6 of 10 and I dare not swap to annex b yet as I have had way to many resyncs of my own doing due to some bad info I was given....I did test annex b early on but it did not seem different but no way to do it now as I may have fubared my training......is it possible that if the line is lowered that it will go up incrementally over time if it seems stable after a while as I pray that this training will not lock me in to a set speed regardless of how stable the
One is after my unfortunate discons
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 29-Feb-12 15:29:40
Print Post

What are DLM consequences short term and longer relating to my line.? Is BT flexible enough to make the profile go up if after a while? Or does this set me in stone?
Standard User smurf46
(member) Wed 29-Feb-12 16:10:00
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by asbokid:
unsure of is which Annex to use for BT VDSL2 A or B

ITU-T G.993.2 Annex A defines the VDSL2 bandplan and PSD mask specs for Region A (North America)
ITU-T G.993.2 Annex B defines the VDSL2 bandplan and PSD mask specs for Region B (Europe including Blighty)

See p.202 onwards in http://www.home.surewest.net/hyoung/T-REC-G.993.2-20...

Just a query: are you sure?The document says:
Annex B
Region B (Europe)1
B.1 Band plans
Two different band plans are defined in this annex. These are based on ITU-T Rec. G.993.1
band plans A and B, also previously known as plan 998 and plan 997, respectively.

BT I understood use bandplan 998. Annex A on the Fritz is what I have always been told to use (as I believe it equates to Band Plan A), along with many others, and is the default in models supplied for the UK market. It also gives me higher speeds, though not by much.

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin
Standard User smurf46
(member) Wed 29-Feb-12 16:30:34
Print Post

What are DLM consequences short term and longer relating to my line.? Is BT flexible enough to make the profile go up if after a while? Or does this set me in stone?

I've played around quite a lot in the early days with my Fritz! with between 8 and 12 reboots a month, and the IP profile has steadily risen up to 38.71Mbps around the max on a 40Mbps service at a 20 attn in my case, having started off at 33867 when I was transferred to the current 17a profile. If you look at maximum atttainable speed (or maximum DSLAM throughput if lower) shown on the Fritz! DSL Stats (in Expert View) then the best speed I've had shown by the tester is 5% below that, which might give you a clue to what your connection could be capable of at best. (The attainable too can rise over time, but it was within 1-2 weeks of connection by up to 20% in my case).

- Anais Nin
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 29-Feb-12 18:24:31
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by smurf46:

I've played around quite a lot in the early days with my Fritz! with between 8 and 12 reboots a month, and the IP profile has steadily risen up to 38.71Mbps around the max on a 40Mbps service at a 20 attn in my case, having started off at 33867 when I was transferred to the current 17a profile. If you look at maximum atttainable speed (or maximum DSLAM throughput if lower) shown on the Fritz! DSL Stats (in Expert View) then the best speed I've had shown by the tester is 5% below that, which might give you a clue to what your connection could be capable of at best. (The attainable too can rise over time, but it was within 1-2 weeks of connection by up to 20% in my case).

thank you your post gives me hope that a bit of messing about has not cost me long term but the next 10 days will be telling just thought I would post this to give an idea that I am connected ok now but i am unsure of what the resyncs by me may have done to my assigned profile over time:

Max Dslam 40000/10000
Attainable 66966/20656
Current throuput 39976/10000
Snr 14/13
Attenuation 15

I know this is good but I just don't know what BT will do to my speed/profile long term as I have already for example gone for a 68### to the 66966 from my resyncs and also my speed has been no higher than 32 meg / 6 meg ( on 38.7 profile according to BT tester which is all over the place speed wise in the beta anywhere from 30-5 meg....??.)from various tests but i do realise I am still training but it's nice to hear your perspective and hope I have a nice stable quick line....as far as annex a or b I just need to leave my connection for now and will ask more about it in the next few days as I am not really clear what is better if either are as the worked nearly the same and had same speeds...

Lastly one curiosity I do have is when when I do a resyncs and when I was trying the BT modem originally I get PPPoE error time out during the fritz resyncs both during the swap to annex b and back to annex a and seems like my FB is trying but failing to sync with the exchange both as a router and modem now...I am using IPv4 not 6 at the mo

Many thanks for all the input

Kirk
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(member) Wed 29-Feb-12 21:30:38
Print Post

FWIW, from my graphs from the HG612 modem, I have seen that Attainable Rates rise & fall, more or less in line with SNRM values at different times of day, 2:00pm being typically the highest levels.
Standard User asbokid
(regular) Wed 29-Feb-12 22:39:42
Print Post

Definitely use Annex B for the VDSL2 service provided by BT Openreach in the U.K.

The following data is from an unlocked but otherwise default Huawei HG612, installed by BT Openreach..

Text
Welcome Visiting Huawei  Home Gateway
Copyright by Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.Login:admin
Password: 
ATP>shBusyBox v1.9.1 (2010-10-15 17:59:06 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands. 
# xdslcmd info --statsxdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Max:    Upstream rate = 6094 Kbps, Downstream rate = 24660 KbpsPath:   0, Upstream rate = 1997 Kbps, Downstream rate = 20054 Kbps
Link Power State:       L0Mode:                   VDSL2 Annex B         <===============
VDSL2 Profile:          Profile 8cTPS-TC:                 PTM Mode
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ONLine Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime....

We can discover which of the Annex B band plans is being used from the carrier set reported by the Huawei..

Again from the Huawei xdsl driver layer tool:

Text
# xdslcmd info --pbParams
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY statusStatus: Showtime
Retrain Reason: 2Max:    Upstream rate = 6074 Kbps, Downstream rate = 24648 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 1997 Kbps, Downstream rate = 20054 KbpsDiscovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (696,1183)   DS: (32,687) (1192,1627)
Medley Phase (Final) Band PlanUS: (0,95) (696,1183)                         <===============
DS: (32,687) (1192,1627)                      <===============

Carrier spacing is 4.3125kHz..

Huawei HG612:
f1 = 32 x 4.3125 = 138 kHz
f2 = 696 x 4.3125 = 3.00 MHz
f3 = 1183 x 4.3125 = 5.10 MHz
f4 = 1627 x 4.3125 = 7.05 MHz

We can see from Table B.1/G.993.2 Band Plans on page 206 of [1] for VDSL2 Annex B (Europe) that the Huawei is using the first variant of the A/997 band plan for Annex B:

Annex B - Band Plan A/997 - Variant #1

To clarify, we can also compare the band-edge frequencies reported by the Huawei (138kHz, 3.00MHz, 5.10MHz, 7.05Mhz) with the Fig. A.1/G.993.2 Band Plan for Annex A (North America) on page 202/3 of [1]:

Annex A:
f2 = 870 x 4.3125 = 3.75 MHz
f3 = 1205 x 4.3125 = 5.20 MHz
f4 = 1971 x 4.3125 = 8.50 MHz

This illustrates that VDSL2 G993.2 Annex A (North America) is not compatible with the Annex B VDSL2 service currently provided by BT Openreach.

cheers, a

[1] http://www.home.surewest.net/hyoung/T-REC-G.993.2-20...
[2] http://www.docin.com/p-124763824.html
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 01-Mar-12 12:10:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by asbokid:
Definitely use Annex B for the VDSL2 service provided by BT Openreach in the U.K.

The following data is from an unlocked but otherwise default Huawei HG612, installed by BT Openreach..

Text
Welcome Visiting Huawei  Home Gateway
Copyright by Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.Login:admin
Password: 
ATP>shBusyBox v1.9.1 (2010-10-15 17:59:06 CST) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands. 
# xdslcmd info --statsxdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Max:    Upstream rate = 6094 Kbps, Downstream rate = 24660 KbpsPath:   0, Upstream rate = 1997 Kbps, Downstream rate = 20054 Kbps
Link Power State:       L0Mode:                   VDSL2 Annex B         <===============
VDSL2 Profile:          Profile 8cTPS-TC:                 PTM Mode
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ONLine Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime....

We can discover which of the Annex B band plans is being used from the carrier set reported by the Huawei..

Again from the Huawei xdsl driver layer tool:

Text
# xdslcmd info --pbParams
Retrain Reason: 2Max:    Upstream rate = 6074 Kbps, Downstream rate = 24648 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 1997 Kbps, Downstream rate = 20054 KbpsDiscovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (696,1183)   DS: (32,687) (1192,1627)
Medley Phase (Final) Band PlanUS: (0,95) (696,1183)                         <===============
DS: (32,687) (1192,1627)                      <===============

Carrier spacing is 4.3125kHz..

Huawei HG612:

We can see from Table B.1/G.993.2 Band Plans on page 206 of [1] for VDSL2 Annex B (Europe) that the Huawei is using the first variant of the A/997 band plan for Annex B:

Annex B - Band Plan A/997 - Variant #1

To clarify, we can also compare the band-edge frequencies reported by the Huawei (138kHz, 3.00MHz, 5.10MHz, 7.05Mhz) with the Fig. A.1/G.993.2 Band Plan for Annex A (North America) on page 202/3 of [1]:

Annex A:
f2 = 870 x 4.3125 = 3.75 MHz
f3 = 1205 x 4.3125 = 5.20 MHz
f4 = 1971 x 4.3125 = 8.50 MHz

This illustrates that VDSL2 G993.2 Annex A (North America) is not compatible with the Annex B VDSL2 service currently provided by BT Openreach.

cheers, a

[1] http://www.home.surewest.net/hyoung/T-REC-G.993.2-20...
[2] http://www.docin.com/p-124763824.html

Ok I get the fact that your saying annex a is not correct but then how is my Fritzbox able to work and not have any issues of note that I can see? Don't get me wrong I wil happily swap to annex b but as I am in training phase and have had to many resyncs done by me not the router/modem then I am warry to keep causing more resyncs by swapping and some have mentioned annex a works for them on the Fritzbox without issues so I am not clear what is worse leaving it in annex a or Perform yet another resync to get annex b on....if someone has left annex a on through training and it did no harm please enlighten me as if I am told you had a major issue due to annex a then I would force the resync but not unless I know it's actually doing my line training harm....interestingly enough a Australian forum called whirlpool has a section on the fritzbox and uk connections and they to are debating annex a or b because one person hacked the bt open reach modem and said its in b BUT running like its in annex a so I am truly confused so if someone with a fritzbox could pass on knowledge about a/b and the impact of leaving it in a it would be great. If I am made aware that the long term impact on my training is worse to leave it in annex a than to perform yet another resync I might swap it but if it's a minimal issue during training then I suppose it's best to let the line settle in now rather than risk another resync and kill my line training which is already on shaky ground due to my other resyncs i did during wire swaps and just being blasé about it after an engineer said I could power stuff on and off no probs in infinity....

Anyhow Thanks will see what advice I get and make a choice soon enough
Kirk
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 01-Mar-12 13:31:09
Print Post

Well swapped to annex b against all my instinct to leave line train so yet another re sync and my attainable rate dropped from an original 68### to last set below with current after annex b swap

Max Dslam 40000/10000 now SAME
Attainable 66966/20656 now 65376/20630
Current throuput 39976/10000 now SAME
Snr 14/13 now SAME
Attenuation 15 now SAME

Still getting around 31-32 down meg and 5-6 up roughly so it's nearly same but Carrier record now shows B43 not A?? ( forgot numbers) as before so hope this is a good thing

As usually still kicking out some errors as before so here's hoping this does not fubar my training for good wish me luck BT does no slam my line after the training period is up in 7-8 days time

Kirk
Standard User smurf46
(member) Thu 01-Mar-12 14:28:14
Print Post

askobid: if I understand you correctly you say that BT also use Band Plan 997 with the current profile 17a.

I believe that the Fritz! Annex A and Annex B are both VDSL2 (Europe) Annex B but refer respectively to (quoting the document)
"Region B (Europe)1
B.1 Band plans
Two different band plans are defined in this annex. These are based on ITU-T Rec. G.993.1
band plans A and B, also previously known as plan 998 and plan 997, respectively."

So I understand you to be saying that the use of what the Fritz! refers to as Annex B (which should be Annex B Plan B) is because BT use band plan 997. I am confused since you appear to say that Annex B Plan A is the same as band plan 997, so is the above quote from the document wrong?

I ask because that was not previously my understanding.

In practice I think that either setting seems able to work almost as well in the UK for those on shorter lines with higher attainable speeds, but for me with a longer line to the cabinet the Fritz!'s "Annex A" (properly bandplan 998 or Annex B Plan A, according to the document) seems to offer slightly better speeds and be subject to less errors.

- Anais Nin

Edited by smurf46 (Thu 01-Mar-12 14:43:25)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 01-Mar-12 14:52:41
Print Post

Anyone with th FB 7390 do you all get PPPoE timeout errors when you first try to resync as whenever I tell FB to resync due to a change in settings like going from annex a to b it conne ts but takes 2 timeout errors before I get ip/ dns/ gateway info and this strange string:

Pop:bras-red2.gi-b-B222400702037

in the system/ Internet connection menus of FB any idea if this is normal, don't know if it's due to using IPv4 not 6... Or is some setting not quiet right that someone has experienced ?

Smurf if you could just clarify you did mess with resyncs during training so you think that the speed will rebound if in the event BT does lower my line speed... hope this annex b/ a stuff works outsmile
Cheers
Kirk
Standard User asbokid
(regular) Thu 01-Mar-12 22:31:21
Print Post

I think you've solved the confusion, which I'm afraid I have added to:

I am confused since you appear to say that Annex B Plan A is the same as band plan 997, so is the above quote from the document wrong?

Sorry, I accidentally transposed those two. It should have read G998 = Annex B Plan A; G997 = Annex B Plan B

The Openreach VDSL2 Profile 8c service uses Annex B Band Plan G997 (aka plan B) - Variant #1,
The Openreach VDSL2 Profile 17a service uses Annex B Band Plan G998 (aka plan A) - Variant #1.

The following is reported by a Huawei HG612 on a Profile 17a VDSL2 service provided by BT Openreach.

Text
# xdslcmd info --show
Retrain Reason: 0Max: Upstream rate = 24622 Kbps, Downstream rate = 67492 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 10000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 39998 Kbps 
Link Power State: L0Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 17aTPS-TC: PTM Mode
Trellis: U:ON /D:ONLine Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime....
# xdslcmd info --pbParamsxdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
 Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207) (1972,2783)DS: (32,859) (1216,1963) (2792,3939)

Those tone numbers can again be multiplied by the carrier spacing (4.3125kHz) to find the band-edge frequencies:

Huawei HG612 (on Profile 17a):
f2 = 868 x 4.3125 = 3.75 MHz
f3 = 1216 x 4.3125 = 5.20 MHz
f4 = 1972 x 4.3125 = 8.50 MHz
f5 = 2792 x 4.3125 = 12.00 MHz

And those are G998 Band Plan Variant #1 frequencies, which are identical to those in the Annex A band plan for North America!

It's not relevant to the UK, but here are the tone intervals reported by a Broadcom-based Actiontec Q1000H modem on an Annex A (Profile 8a) VDSL2 service provided in the USA by CenturyLink / Qwest.

Text
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (6,31) (882,1193)DS: (41,857) (1218,1959)

Multiplying out again..

f1 = 41 x 4.3125 = 176 kHz
f2 = ~880 x 4.3125 = ~3.75 MHz (wider guard bands used by vendor)
f3 = ~1216 x 4.3125 = 5.20 MHz

So Annex A, which only supports one band plan is not compatible with Profile 8c used by Openreach.

It has been reported that BT Openreach is moving entirely to a G998 band plan. Since G998 and G997 cannot coexist in the same plant because of crosstalk and inter-carrier interference(?), the bandplan switch is presumably taking place at the same time as the DSLAMs are moved to Profile 17a.

At that point, will it matter whether Annex A or Annex B is used? Are the PSD Masks for G998 and G997 any different?

cheers, a
Standard User nateygable
(newbie) Fri 02-Mar-12 00:54:31
Print Post

Thanks for this one!
Standard User jamesall
(newbie) Tue 20-Mar-12 16:05:41
Print Post

[re: nateygable] [link to this post]

Hi All,

I had Infinity installed last week. Once the engineer had left, I configured my Fritz!box 7390 as described in this thread and plugged it in.

The DSL connection came up after a minute or so and then the status of the "internet" went green but I didn't get any message next to the status. I was expecting "connected" or similar.

I was unable to reach anything on the internet so the connection wasn't right. I power cycled the Fritz!box but this made no difference.

Next step was to re-install the BT modem. DSL synch came up immediately. I re-configured the 7390 to use the internet connection on LAN1 and connected it to the BT modem. Again, this did not work - it complained of PPoE login failure.

Re-installed the BT HH3 and connection was re-established straight away.

So, I have double checked the config against that shown within this thread. The DSL line came up so I'm assuming it's related to the username/password.

As described here, I used bthomehub@btbroadband.com and no password. Actually I also tried a space in the password but this didn't work.

Any suggestions?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 23-Mar-12 21:40:28
Print Post

[re: jamesall] [link to this post]

Just a quick suggestion if you enable ipv6 in account information it seems to sync when using the BT modem for me but not when it was on IPv4 not sure if it's due to the new modems they released....I do use the Fritz as a modem but it is ok on IPv4 with this for me so not sure why it's not working for you....I do have pppoe timeout errors before any resync oddly enough when the Frit is as a modem but not sure why? It's not been as straight forward as some have suggested so its best to check as many links to posts about the fritz to see what you might have wrong in the details of set up if you wish to use as a modem as well.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 23-Mar-12 21:44:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by jamesall:
Hi All,

I had Infinity installed last week. Once the engineer had left, I configured my Fritz!box 7390 as described in this thread and plugged it in.

The DSL connection came up after a minute or so and then the status of the "internet" went green but I didn't get any message next to the status. I was expecting "connected" or similar.

I was unable to reach anything on the internet so the connection wasn't right. I power cycled the Fritz!box but this made no difference.

Next step was to re-install the BT modem. DSL synch came up immediately. I re-configured the 7390 to use the internet connection on LAN1 and connected it to the BT modem. Again, this did not work - it complained of PPoE login failure.

Re-installed the BT HH3 and connection was re-established straight away.

So, I have double checked the config against that shown within this thread. The DSL line came up so I'm assuming it's related to the username/password.

As described here, I used bthomehub@btbroadband.com and no password. Actually I also tried a space in the password but this didn't work.

Any suggestions?

Also my username was my old still used xxxxxxx@btinternet.com

Pw was what I had with my old BT service and it was even confirmed in an email to use this not Bthomehub@btbroadband.com.....and a blank so it might be you kept old info too if your a legacy bt broadband customer?..
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 25-Mar-12 10:32:08
Print Post

Quick Fritz 7390 question if I use the FB as a modem and router in place of the BT infinity modem do I use PPPoA or PPPoE as I have done some checking and the E in PPPoE is Ethernet which I assume is for the HH3 as it Ethernet connected to the modem given by BT however if my FB is directly in the socket as the modem also does it need to mimic the BT modem which might be on PPPoA (VMUX? Or LLC?).....I ask because my FB seems to get 2-3 time out PPPoE errors on resyncs like today when I did DST time adjustment. Is his because I don't actually use PPPoE when the FB is the modem not etherneted to the BT one??
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 25-Mar-12 16:36:50
Print Post

Definitely PPPoE, under 'Account Information' , 'Additional Settings', select 'Maintain Permanently', 'Use VLAN', enter VLAN ID 101, Select 'Set manually' under DSL ATM Settings, leave VPI at '1' and 'VCI at '32' and select 'PPPoE' under Encapsulation.

I get a couple of 'PPPoE Error: Timeout' messages if I resync but it then connects (in about 32 seconds from establishing DSL sync).
Standard User jamesall
(newbie) Mon 26-Mar-12 15:16:29
Print Post

Answering my own question from a few days ago, I was finally able to get it to connect via LAN1 and PPoE. The trick was to set the IP address of the router to 192.168.1.254. I found a post somewhere saying this was required. As soon as I made the change, the PPoE connection came up.

Home Network - Network - Network Settings - IP Addresses.

The next step is to remove the OpenReach modem. A job for another day smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Mar-12 02:27:23
Print Post

I have used the above advice, and also got VDSL working with AAISP as my ISP, not BT.

NB you definitely need to manually set 1/32/PPPoE Encapsulation.
Standard User jamesall
(newbie) Tue 27-Mar-12 10:29:09
Print Post

Tried connecting the Fritzbox directly to the socket, bypassing the OR modem. I made all the relevant config changes and the DSL comes up ok. The PPE connection comes up but I'm not able to pass any traffic to/from the internet.

I see the following messages in the system log, which indicates all is well:

27.03.12 08:55:51 Internet connection established successfully. IP address: <snip>, DNS server: 213.120.234.2 and 62.6.40.178, Gateway: 217.32.144.160, Broadband PoP: bras-red1.dy-B2014010600266
27.03.12 08:52:38 DSL is available (DSL synchronization exists with 39976/10000 kbit/s).
27.03.12 08:52:25 DSL synchronization starting (training).

As soon as I revert back to LAN1 and the OR modem, all works perfectly. No changes made to the username/password.

Very strange ....

A bit worried about unplugging the modem too many times as I've seen posts about BT bumping down the speeds due to detected line issues.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 28-Mar-12 11:42:46
Print Post

Answering my own question from a few days ago, I was finally able to get it to connect via LAN1 and PPoE. The trick was to set the IP address of the router to 192.168.1.254. I found a post somewhere saying this was required. As soon as I made the change, the PPoE connection came up.

just trying new things with my fritz can you tell me all the settings you changed on the IP settings page of the router just curious If you changed any values on the dhcp From and To values and was it the old IP 192.168.178.1 the value you changed to 192.168.1.254...lastly when I go in my fritz I just type fritz.box (the default was 192.168.178.1 liked to this) can you still type fritz.box and get into it or do you use the new iP you set?? Just asking before I tweak and get to many resyncs fixing it

Thanks
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 28-Mar-12 11:51:09
Print Post

Also I use my FB as a modem and it seems fine in the original Default IP 192.168.178.1 does this actually matter when using as a modem as I don't use the BT openreach one except for a quick try on install day....I am just asking because I was not sure what BT can detect on my end as far as the default IP not being the recommended 192.168.1.254....or if this is just relevant to a LAN connection to the openreach modem only.
Standard User jamesall
(newbie) Wed 28-Mar-12 13:27:38
Print Post

The only change I made which caused it to be able to establish a connection to the internet was to change the IP to 192.168.1.254 (from 192.168.1.1).

When trying to bypass the OR modem yesterday, I also tried reverting back to .1 as part of the troubleshooting. .1 definitely does not connect to the internet (PPPoE Error: Timeout) changing back to .254 and it connected straightaway. Didn't allow traffic to/from the internet as previously mentioned but the connection was up.

When configured as .254, I cannot use "Fritz.box" in by browser for connection to the route - I have to use the IP address. Maybe that would get resolved with a re-boot of the router though.

Hope this helps
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 30-Mar-12 09:58:09
Print Post

The only change I made which caused it to be able to establish a connection to the internet was to change the IP to 192.168.1.254 (from 192.168.1.1).

When trying to bypass the OR modem yesterday, I also tried reverting back to .1 as part of the troubleshooting. .1 definitely does not connect to the internet (PPPoE Error: Timeout) changing back to .254 and it connected straightaway. Didn't allow traffic to/from the internet as previously mentioned but the connection was up.

When configured as .254, I cannot use "Fritz.box" in by browser for connection to the route - I have to use the IP address. Maybe that would get resolved with a re-boot of the router though.

Hope this helps

I thought the default IP was 192.168.178.1 but anyhow does everyone using the FB as a modem and router have this set to 192.168.1.254 or is that just if your using it as a router connected to the BT Openreach Modem?? Also, if I did swap it to the ...254 address will all the items I have installed in the 192.168.178.XXXaddress have to re configured or just the default IP the use would now just have 1.254 instead of 178.1 just wondering the knock on effect on other set up equipment like PC, PS3 and XBOX...and would DHCP ranges need to be altered to .254 from 178.1 etc...and did you leave subnet mask alone? This is a poor copy past of my current IP settings with the FB as a Modem and Router if the swap to .1.254 resolves the PPPoE timeout errors thats great to know:

IP address . . . 192.168.178.1
Subnet mask . . . 255.255.255.0
Disable NAT [UNCHECKED]
Use this setting if your Internet Service Provider provides a public IPv4 network.

Attention: The firewall of your FRITZ!Box is disabled whenever you use this setting.

[CHECK] Enable DHCP server
DHCP server assigns IP addresses

from . . . 192.168.178.20
to . . . 192.168.178.200
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 01-Jun-12 16:36:05
Print Post

I am slightly confused about the discussion around IP addresses.

I just had BT Infinity installed - and as soon as the BT engineer left the house I disconnected both the BT boxes (router and modem) and replaced them with a Fritzbox 7390 running Fritz!os 5.22.

And I did *not* change the IP address I've always used for my own local network (router at 192.168.0.1 net mask 255.255.255.0).

It all works - as the router does not care what the internal networks address is - so no need to change this.

Other settings of interest
login name and password as supplied by BT in their setup email!

VLAN : 101
VPI : 1
VCI : 32

Getting 80 Mbit/s download - 20 Mbit/s upload.

Tor
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 24-Oct-12 22:42:12
Print Post

cialis prix pharmacie, viagra precio *DELETED*

Post deleted by billford
Standard User rikscha
(newbie) Mon 17-Feb-14 11:45:04
Print Post

Hi,

I was wondering if you could use a German version of the 7390 in the UK with FTTC. I know you can't for ADSL but was wondering if standards in both countries were in line.

Many Thanks.
Standard User Quark999
(regular) Mon 17-Feb-14 12:49:17
Print Post

[re: rikscha] [link to this post]

I *think* VDSL2 is only available with traditional analogue phone lines, not ISDN - that's where the problems with ADSL2 and Annex A and B come from.

So I would assume that the German Fritzboxes work with UK phone lines. But don't quote me on that. In fairness, I had so many problems with my 7390 resetting due to buggy firmware that I ended up buying a Draytek - the Fritz has a lovely interface and awesome features, but they seemed to come at an expense of stability. The Draytek has a horrible looking interface, less features and the ones it does have are more complicated that necessary. But at least it works when I need it - not sure whether the 7390 has become more stable, AVM seems to release far more firmware updates than Draytek...
Standard User lexden16
(member) Mon 17-Feb-14 13:52:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by rikscha:
Hi,

I was wondering if you could use a German version of the 7390 in the UK with FTTC. I know you can't for ADSL but was wondering if standards in both countries were in line.

Many Thanks.

For the avoidance of doubt, 'German' versions of Fritz!boxes will not work in the UK 'out of the box'. They can be 'hacked' but this invalidates the 5 year warranty supported by the manufacturer. I had reason to return a 7390 last year and AVM's support was first-class. I am just about to replace my 3 year old (in truth a 1 year old box as rather than fix my old box, AVM replaced it) 7390 with a 7490 international (open to offers for my current box ).

I am not sure what all this talk about IP addresses is all about. All that is needed to get a 7390 up and running on any BTW FTTC line is VLAN- 101, VP1 - 1, VC1 - 32, PPPoE ticked, Annex A - ticked and your ISP Username and password.

I have had FTTC for nearly two years and apart from one glitch my connection has been pretty well rock solid at 93/27 on an 80/20 IP profile. Before you ask, my profile limits both the up and down speeds. I live about 300M from my cabinet.

International versions of Fritz!boxes and accessories can be purchased from German distributors. International versions will give you a GUI in English! The UK International version will also give you a UK PSU and 'Y' lead. I am currently running a Fritz!Repeater (german version) on my network. It has a Euro plug and everything is in German. It works as it is only connecting to my 7390. I also have 3 Fritz!Fon MT-F phones.

The 'Pro' of the Fritz!Box 7390/7490 is a one stop solution for FTTC and home phones. The 'con' is if the F!B fails then the one stop solution has a 10 day gap whilst the old box is sent to Germany and the new one arrives.
Standard User rikscha
(newbie) Mon 17-Feb-14 17:28:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by lexden16:
In reply to a post by rikscha:
Hi,

Many Thanks.

For the avoidance of doubt, 'German' versions of Fritz!boxes will not work in the UK 'out of the box'. They can be 'hacked' but this invalidates the 5 year warranty supported by the manufacturer. I had reason to return a 7390 last year and AVM's support was first-class. I am just about to replace my 3 year old (in truth a 1 year old box as rather than fix my old box, AVM replaced it) 7390 with a 7490 international (open to offers for my current box ).

I am not sure what all this talk about IP addresses is all about. All that is needed to get a 7390 up and running on any BTW FTTC line is VLAN- 101, VP1 - 1, VC1 - 32, PPPoE ticked, Annex A - ticked and your ISP Username and password.

I have had FTTC for nearly two years and apart from one glitch my connection has been pretty well rock solid at 93/27 on an 80/20 IP profile. Before you ask, my profile limits both the up and down speeds. I live about 300M from my cabinet.

International versions of Fritz!boxes and accessories can be purchased from German distributors. International versions will give you a GUI in English! The UK International version will also give you a UK PSU and 'Y' lead. I am currently running a Fritz!Repeater (german version) on my network. It has a Euro plug and everything is in German. It works as it is only connecting to my 7390. I also have 3 Fritz!Fon MT-F phones.

The 'Pro' of the Fritz!Box 7390/7490 is a one stop solution for FTTC and home phones. The 'con' is if the F!B fails then the one stop solution has a 10 day gap whilst the old box is sent to Germany and the new one arrives.

Can you point me in the right direction on where to find instructions on how to hack it? I'd rather hack it then sell it and get an UK version.
Standard User lexden16
(member) Mon 17-Feb-14 19:00:01
Print Post

lexden16

Can you point me in the right direction on where to find instructions on how to hack it? I'd rather hack it then sell it and get an UK version.

Google

rukerneltool 7390

The instructions are in German!!

I have never done it - nor will I ever try. If you require further information then I suggest that you post on the overseas AVM forum on whirlpool.net.au. Don't post separately (i.e.; in the main body) as our down-under cousins get rather upset.

FWIW, I think that I read that the 'fix' works for internet connection but it will not fix the connection to the UK phone system. Best of luck.

Edit: this might help

http://rukerneltool.rainerullrich.de/ruKernelTool-Ho...

Edited by lexden16 (Mon 17-Feb-14 19:12:47)

Standard User jg_
(newbie) Wed 26-Feb-14 13:36:29
Print Post

Just to add to lexden16's reply, the info is all at the rukerneltool website - in German. There are some English instructions for flashing a German 7170 with firmware for the International version and the process is effectively identical for the 7390. However, like Lexden16 says, this is risky as you will invalidate the warranty and could brick your Fritzbox. Additionally, the rukerneltool program is entirely in German. If you don't feel comfortable figuring out the process for the 7390 from the 7170 instructions or don't fancy the risk of dead Fritzbox, then this is not for you.

However, I have flashed a couple of German 7390s with code for the International one, allowing the web interface to be set to English (the German 7390 has no option to change this). Having used my 7390 with International firmware in Germany for a while, I have now returned to the UK and am using it with BT Infinity. Note that once flashed with the International firmware, the 7390 takes updates for this firmware from the web interface - you don't have to keep tinkering with rukerneltool.

The settings I use for BT Infinity are:

username - as on the BT Home Hub
password - blank
VLAN ID - 101
VPI - 1
VCI - 32
Encapsulation - PPoE

and under DSL/Line Settings, Annex Settings - Annex A
(I found it won't connect if set to Annex B).

I have the Internet, DECT and VoIP all working and now need an adaptor from the German Fritzbox Y cable (RJ45, pins 1 and 8 for POTS) to BT (pins 2 and 5).

HTH
JG
Standard User rikscha
(newbie) Sat 01-Mar-14 17:18:22
Print Post

[re: jg_] [link to this post]

I successfully flashed my fritzbox with your mentioned tool.
The process is very straightforward and in fact there is no risk of bricking your box as the tool is not touching the boot loader of the fritzbox. You can fairly easily switch between different firmwares.

I will test my box on Monday and let you know if it worked. I am using my box with VoIP and a DECT phone, therefore cabling isn't an issue. I cannot find any Annex settings? Could you provide a screenshot perhaps?

Thanks!
Standard User jg_
(newbie) Sat 01-Mar-14 18:30:41
Print Post

I cannot find any Annex settings? Could you provide a screenshot perhaps?

The Annex settings are under Internet / DSL Information, on the Line Settings tab and at the bottom of the page. You don't see these settings on the German version of the 7390 (until you have an International firmware loaded).
Standard User rikscha
(newbie) Tue 04-Mar-14 14:36:21
Print Post

[re: jg_] [link to this post]

I could not see the settings, because my FB was setup to connect through another Wifi network. When I switched to DSL, all was there.

I successfully synced the box at my office FTTC connection at 78d / 20u

I did not have any login details to retrieve an IP though. I suppose the sync is what really matters and I should not have any problems connecting it to BT infinity ?
Standard User R1ZLaUK
(newbie) Sun 08-Mar-15 02:53:41
Print Post

I, for the life of me can't get my 7390 working at all. I've tried all the suggestions and settings on this and other forums but just can't seem to find the answer. I'm on fttc with Plusnet but from what I've read, the vlan setting 101 etc is all the same, I just have to put my password in. I can get everything working with the supplied router/modem. Can anybody point me in the right direction please?

Kind regards

R1ZLaUK
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 08-Mar-15 14:26:30
Print Post

[re: R1ZLaUK] [link to this post]

Are you getting the username right? That's a common mistake that I've made a few times. It's AccountUsername@plusdsl.net

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 52.8 (interleaved)/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User R1ZLaUK
(newbie) Mon 09-Mar-15 11:57:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes the account username and password are correct. Like I say everything works when using the supplied router/modem. So I've discounted things like faulty cables as they work fine when swapping them over. So frustrating when it should be a simple process - I really am stumped!

Juse to be perfectly clear I'm entering ******@plusdsl.net and also my supplied password. Is that correct?

Edited by R1ZLaUK (Mon 09-Mar-15 16:16:15)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Mar-15 12:33:06
Print Post

From what Bob suggested, it looks like the bit before the @ should be in capitals, in part.

Edited by Zarjaz (Mon 09-Mar-15 12:33:53)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 09-Mar-15 12:50:28
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

No, I was just adding readability to the italicised bit. Username there is the same as the username for his Plusnet account, with the @... added to create the broadband login one. I don't know if it is case sensitive or not.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 09-Mar-15 12:51:41
Print Post

I'd delete that username. These forums are google-crawled and that leaves you with only your password as security for login and account.

Yes, the username format is correct. The password is your account password, not the router password, but I think that's what you meant.

Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4 (interleaved)/15.6Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 09-Mar-15 12:54:00)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Mar-15 14:01:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Och well Robert, I do try smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to