General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BTBusiness_User
(newbie) Mon 18-Apr-11 10:43:17
Print Post

FTTC speed dropping - how come?

[link to this post]
Hi all

I had fibre installed about 12 days ago, "BT Business with Fibre", 40/2Mb. I'm 200m from the cab so got a link of 38717Kbps at install, and DL throughput of 36-37Mbps straight away. Ping a steady 19-20 with pretty much zero jitter, any time of day. All was good, no disconnections, no data errors, no lost packets.

Not so good now though, I'm getting 23-24Mbps with a ping of 70-120, jitter of 20 or so and even an occasional lost packet! I've speedtested with both BT Speedtest and, wired straight to the HH, and at various times over the last 5 days from 8am to 1am. I've rebooted the modem to get a reconnect once and nothing changed.

Any ideas what's going on here? Surely "line settling" should mean result can improve a little, not drop 30%???

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Apr-11 12:05:37
Print Post

Re: FTTC speed dropping - how come?

[re: BTBusiness_User] [link to this post]
I have had to have my FTTC profile set twice and it both cases it starts at a very high speed and drops. In both my cases, the line settled is about 3 days.

If there are problems with a bit if kit that are fixed and the profile has dropped from its normal level, it will increase back to the normal.

Check your ISP control panel for connects/disconnects and have a continuous speed meter displayed at all times. These can be very helpfulk in seeing what is reallyt going on with your connection.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
  Print Thread

Jump to