General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BTBusiness_User
(newbie) Mon 18-Apr-11 10:43:17
Print Post

FTTC speed dropping - how come?

[link to this post]

Hi all

I had fibre installed about 12 days ago, "BT Business with Fibre", 40/2Mb. I'm 200m from the cab so got a link of 38717Kbps at install, and DL throughput of 36-37Mbps straight away. Ping a steady 19-20 with pretty much zero jitter, any time of day. All was good, no disconnections, no data errors, no lost packets.

Not so good now though, I'm getting 23-24Mbps with a ping of 70-120, jitter of 20 or so and even an occasional lost packet! I've speedtested with both BT Speedtest and speedtest.net, wired straight to the HH, and at various times over the last 5 days from 8am to 1am. I've rebooted the modem to get a reconnect once and nothing changed.

Any ideas what's going on here? Surely "line settling" should mean result can improve a little, not drop 30%???

Thanks
Bert
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Apr-11 12:05:37
Print Post

Re: FTTC speed dropping - how come?

[re: BTBusiness_User] [link to this post]

I have had to have my FTTC profile set twice and it both cases it starts at a very high speed and drops. In both my cases, the line settled is about 3 days.

If there are problems with a bit if kit that are fixed and the profile has dropped from its normal level, it will increase back to the normal.

Check your ISP control panel for connects/disconnects and have a continuous speed meter displayed at all times. These can be very helpfulk in seeing what is reallyt going on with your connection.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
  Print Thread

Jump to