General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User simonc219
(newbie) Mon 18-Apr-11 13:12:34
Print Post

FTTC speed estimate of only 7.8Mbps in BT Checker - how far?

[link to this post]

I currently have ADSL Max of 1.5Mbps and was looking forward to the arrival of FTTC on 1st July in Chorley.

However the released estimated figures are rather disappointing from BT.

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 1st July 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 7.8Mbps and upstream line speed of 1.4Mbps.

Yes it is better than nothing but how far away would the cabinet need to be to deliver that speed level.

Is there any chance in the future that a nearer cabinet is upgraded or is that it?

Simon
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Apr-11 13:20:36
Print Post

Re: FTTC speed estimate of only 7.8Mbps in BT Checker - how

[re: simonc219] [link to this post]

You are connected to the cabinet you are connected to and that is it. I am not connected to my nearest cabinet, but my second nearest one. When I got FTTC in Sept, I got over twice the speed the BT tester suggested I'd get - and this is quite common.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User MadPom
(regular) Mon 18-Apr-11 13:49:53
Print Post

I thought most areas had a local cabinet in Chorley but obviously it depends on where you are and unfortunately you can't chose which cabinet you connect to. I'm also in Chorley but my cab is due to go live 20th Apr. I noticed over the weekend that a few cabinets seem to be having more digging work done (power?) even though they appeared to have been done a while ago. The one at the bottom of Harpers Lane (near B&Q) for example. My line estimate is 30mbps down and 7mbps up so I'll be interested what I get once connected.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mr_bean
(learned) Mon 18-Apr-11 13:55:37
Print Post

...but how far away would the cabinet need to be to deliver that speed level.

More than 2km if you go by this graph

The checker is known for being pessimistic so there's half a chance that your actual rate will be higher. It might be worth trying to figure out which cabinet you're connected to.

Is there any chance in the future that a nearer cabinet is upgraded or is that it?

Well, your line goes where it goes.

There's usually just one cabinet between you and the exchange - the "Primary Cross-Connection Point (PCP)", sometimes there's an SCP (Secondary Cross-Connection Point) as well which would be closer, but the FTTC equipment is going into the PCPs only in the current system.
Standard User simonc219
(newbie) Mon 18-Apr-11 14:00:49
Print Post

[re: MadPom] [link to this post]

Thanks MadPom. I live out Whittle le Woods way by the Leeds - Liverpool canal. The location is semie rural and I think there must be a Secondary Cross-Connection Point as when the line was fitted, the engineer only went a few hundred meters to find space for our line.

Edited by simonc219 (Mon 18-Apr-11 14:10:29)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Apr-11 15:41:43
Print Post

At least you will be able to order the 5-15Mbps FTTC service, and as has been said you should get well over the estimate.

So quite an improvement from what you have now.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Apr-11 03:14:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Not sure how "pessimistic" the checker is these days.

For me it estimates just about right. In fact, usually, our connection is a smidge slower than what it says. I think once more than a few people are connected it "gets its eye in" so to speak and offers up something a bit closer to likely reality.

We do get a slightly faster upload than the checker says though.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?
Standard User mr_bean
(regular) Tue 19-Apr-11 08:12:36
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

Not sure how "pessimistic" the checker is these days.

Depends on how they're doing the estimates I suppose. There was a significant revision a while back with most estimates increased but for my line they were still on the low side.

My estimate was 26.8 down 5.6 up, I'm 520m from the cabinet in a straight line - maybe another 100m for the wire route. If you look at the various VDSL2 rate/reach graphs they'd suggest > 40Mb/s at that distance (though maybe not by much) and, in practice, that proved to be the case as I get full sync.

They don't appear to have updated my neighbour's estimates, nor even mine as lines get connected and they get better data as to the real performance. Maybe they want to see whether the effect of crosstalk is as bad as some predictions as more lines in each cab get enabled.
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(member) Tue 19-Apr-11 20:49:49
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

my estimate was 7 , i get 14-15, 1060m line length and alluminium as well ! lol , still better than the 2-3 on adsl2 smile
  Print Thread

Jump to