General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SpencerUk
(learned) Tue 19-Apr-11 22:24:59
Print Post

RipWiRE VDSL2 FTTC Review

[link to this post]

My Review

Apologies that its long, but thinking about taking up I would have a read of my post before you go any further..Even makes the company I work for look really really good (*cough* sheffield based ISP*cough*)

Regards
Spencer Davies
Standard User m00g
(newbie) Wed 20-Apr-11 19:34:20
Print Post

Re: RipWiRE VDSL2 FTTC Review

[re: SpencerUk] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info (even though I hopefully won't need to go there!)
Standard User gribz
(regular) Tue 26-Apr-11 21:15:33
Print Post

Interesting review, thank you for posting it.

I agree with most of the points on there, website looks good for a start but dig a bit deeper and it's shabby in places. Needs service status update, user billing area, better support ticketing system, more comprehensive info on whats provided, better telephone support (a very abrupt lady taking a message for call backs, which never happen) and less jargon.

And that's just off the top of my head. smile

Having spoken to Liam Winder before I have to say he is a very friendly, approachable person who does take any issues raised seriously, such as when I migrated across my old ISP/wholesale provider wouldn't believe i'd moved away due to BTW not updating their database.

Billing wasn't a problem for me, they took the correct amount of money in the correct timeframe. However, as with all ISP's, you can't pick the date for the payment which is a personal annoyance more than anything.

I also might add that Ask4 have now started offering the Digital Region product for the same monthly cost (£25) on the 40/10 service but with a £50 setup charge.

Hopefully RipWire will perk their ideas up and offer a more consumer friendly service.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User haydnwalker
(newbie) Wed 27-Apr-11 11:50:30
Print Post

Thanks for the review spencer!

I was considering RipWire myself (as we've started using them at work to provide DR circuits that we can VPN over). However, I've just received an email from Ask4's new Business Development Manager so I've emailed him back asking various questions (capping, contract length etc etc) as I'm actually in Doncaster not Sheffield so I'm unsure if Ask4 will provide me with a service.

Also I want to know what their support is like (so if anyone knows...please post to let me know!!) as I don't really want the hassle you've had - it was rediculous!

I don't see Ripwire improving, due to the fact they are so small. If Mr Winder appears at our workplace, I'll speak to him, but he tends to appear and disappear like Harry Potter frown

Regards,
Haydn
Standard User SpencerUk
(learned) Sun 01-May-11 20:15:22
Print Post

[re: gribz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gribz:
Interesting review, thank you for posting it.

I agree with most of the points on there, website looks good for a start but dig a bit deeper and it's shabby in places. Needs service status update, user billing area, better support ticketing system, more comprehensive info on whats provided, better telephone support (a very abrupt lady taking a message for call backs, which never happen) and less jargon.

And that's just off the top of my head. smile

Having spoken to Liam Winder before I have to say he is a very friendly, approachable person who does take any issues raised seriously, such as when I migrated across my old ISP/wholesale provider wouldn't believe i'd moved away due to BTW not updating their database.

Billing wasn't a problem for me, they took the correct amount of money in the correct timeframe. However, as with all ISP's, you can't pick the date for the payment which is a personal annoyance more than anything.

I also might add that Ask4 have now started offering the Digital Region product for the same monthly cost (£25) on the 40/10 service but with a £50 setup charge.

Hopefully RipWire will perk their ideas up and offer a more consumer friendly service.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm sure Liam is a sound guy but change needs to happen. I've seen about Ask4 advertising, they don't say if they have a FUP either or usage.

In reply to a post by haydnwalker:
Thanks for the review spencer!

I was considering RipWire myself (as we've started using them at work to provide DR circuits that we can VPN over). However, I've just received an email from Ask4's new Business Development Manager so I've emailed him back asking various questions (capping, contract length etc etc) as I'm actually in Doncaster not Sheffield so I'm unsure if Ask4 will provide me with a service.

Also I want to know what their support is like (so if anyone knows...please post to let me know!!) as I don't really want the hassle you've had - it was rediculous!

I don't see Ripwire improving, due to the fact they are so small. If Mr Winder appears at our workplace, I'll speak to him, but he tends to appear and disappear like Harry Potter frown

To my knowledge, Ask4 usually deal with Ethernet in the premises but with Digital Region its all about the cabinet (PCP) being enabled...If its enabled in your area, Ask4 and whoever else will hopefully join Digital Region can supply the service.

In relation to support, I found them quite clueless in billing and in technical. I mean my ticket is still outstanding, both of them being dealt by the same Manager. I asked for a radius as I'm seeing dropouts and such low throughput until I reboot their equipment..Not got that...I asked for reasons why I didn't get any recompense or response in my billing ticket and why the direct debit didn't actually do anything..no response.

I'm trying to get Liam to actually read my assessment of the company and to help spurr it onto better things, but as you say, finding the guy, different thing. I've even emailed the company and not had a response.

I'm sure RipWire will improve over time, smaller companies generally tend to get things changed quicker, hell, I'd even offer to train them myself on Fibre!.

My contract with them expires in Feb next year and i'm already thinking of switching over to BT's FTTC (which provides a lower estimate than what i get) and thats quite a way off!

Regards
Spencer Davies
(newbie) Tue 03-May-11 22:07:17
Print Post

I think I'll be going to Ask4. Their Business Dev Manager Oliver Riddle emailed me and there IS NO FUP/AUP/Limits on the SYDR service.

They have only just released their Digital Region Product and are only just beginning to market it.

The whole Consumer market of SYDR has been completely overlooked it seems as there's virtually no marketing at all!

Once they sort that out, I'm sure competition (and hence choice and customer service) will improve smile

Regards,
Haydn
Standard User SpencerUk
(learned) Thu 05-May-11 09:17:15
Print Post

[re: haydnwalker] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by haydnwalker:
I think I'll be going to Ask4. Their Business Dev Manager Oliver Riddle emailed me and there IS NO FUP/AUP/Limits on the SYDR service.

They have only just released their Digital Region Product and are only just beginning to market it.

The whole Consumer market of SYDR has been completely overlooked it seems as there's virtually no marketing at all!

Once they sort that out, I'm sure competition (and hence choice and customer service) will improve smile

I think there is no caps on the service due to the current mass of bandwidth being present because of the lack of takeup.

There is no DR advertising at all, I only found it by driving past a cabinet when I was on the way to getting my hair cut...well that and an attractive women was next to it so you gotta look haha

Regards
Spencer Davies

Edited by SpencerUk (Thu 05-May-11 17:08:21)

(newbie) Wed 14-Sep-11 11:35:47
Print Post

[re: m00g] [link to this post]

Well I've now moved and actually signed up with Ask4.

Due to go Live on 19th Sept.

One word of warning for those not wanting to use a landline with DRL (which is possible - called the Metal Path Service) it costs an extra £10/month - but at least you aren't paying BT eh?

I went for this service (makes a total of £35/month / 12month contract) due to the fact our mobiles provide plenty of talk and texts...so no need for landline too.

I'll provide a review once the service has been live a few weeks, and the niggles have been worked out smile

Regards,
Haydn
Standard User LeJimster
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Sep-11 02:20:07
Print Post

[re: haydnwalker] [link to this post]

If BT weren't so monopolistic with their pricing on SLU it could be a much cheaper service. At the moment I think you've probably picked the best ISP out of the bunch, for at least ask4 has been around many years and has a modest network built up already. The others I'm less inclined to trust.

(learned) Thu 15-Sep-11 07:23:33
Print Post

Just found this thread.
I joined Ask4 2 weeks ago. after an initial cockup with paper work not arriving. So they sent it registered post. It was pretty straight forward from there on in.

I found the support forum useful and prompt replies whilst make initial contact.
All mu question answered, it was just waiting for the gear to arrive. It has to be said that the DR Modem is one ugly bit of kit. On the other hand the router is nice and small.
Router supplied is a TPlink Wireless 150mb N router.With 4 Ethernet ports.
TP router has a nice clear interface and very simple to set up.
I hide the Modem behind my monitor lol.
So I live approx 350 to 400 mtrs from the cab and getting 38 mb down stream and 6 up stream on the first connection of day one.

Received phone calls from Ask4 a few hours later to see how things are going. which I thought was good.
Ask4 could not have been any more helpful I have to say.
Everyone I talked to at Ask4 have been helpful and knowledgeable.
On line support has now gone 24-7. You also have access to their support forums and also via Twitter and phone.

So now just over a week in and have not had any drop outs but as you would expect there is fluctuation in speed whilst it settles in.
However, speeds have dropped and have become somewhat inconsistent.
Don't get me wrong here. the service is solid, just taking speed test from thinkbroadband I get as low as 16 mb down.but usual 32 mb down.
I got an other call from Ask4 and mentioned this issue. I sent them the data of speed tests and they have raised a ticket with Thales who are now monitoring my connect over the next 24 hrs to see whats causing this.

So over all I am very happy with Ask4 and feel confident they will sort the fluctuation in speed out.
I live in North Doncaster if that helps.

Joss
=TH3=EN3MY PC gaming clan
BF2BC & MW2
http://th3en3my.com
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to