General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fragsey
(regular) Wed 20-Apr-11 08:43:21
Print Post

Self Install Coming soon?

[link to this post]

Just found this online regarding new stuff being delivered by Openreach due 7th June.

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefin...

One bt of interest is the section ORC2M-8374

GEA-FTTC: PCP only install - offer CPs the option to order a PCP-only provide. This enables customers to offer self-install or accredited engineer install products to their end users.

may be of interest to some!

-------------
http://www.fun4forums.co.uk

Vivaciti LLU :: Avg. 5294k/832k 58db att. 6db SNR

Previously: UKFSN / entanet Max :: <n>ildram Max :: plusnet 512k/1Mbit :: Bulldog 512k :: BTopenworld 512k :: AOL 56k \o/
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 20-Apr-11 09:08:03
Print Post

Re: Self Install Coming soon?

[re: Fragsey] [link to this post]

Self install? It will still require a technician visit to the cabinet and that would need to be meshed with the premises install. Plus the technician cannot test the circuit until the modem is installed so what can be gained?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User mrnelster
(committed) Wed 20-Apr-11 09:15:34
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Self install? It will still require a technician visit to the cabinet and that would need to be meshed with the premises install. Plus the technician cannot test the circuit until the modem is installed so what can be gained?

As my engineer said yesterday, he didnt want to leave the premises once the modem was installed,without me up and running. Even though he could have left me to set up my own router.

And that is the way it should stay for now in my opinion. smile

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User aquiss
(experienced) Wed 20-Apr-11 09:21:38
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

mrnelster,

I have to say, the engineer you got and who I had pleasure speaking to was nothing short of excellent. I'm fairly open minded wth engineers, but I could tell quickly we were talking from same page, with the odd joke thrown into the banter. Top Marks!

Your really are lucky, I have spoken to some who sadly see sync and leave without the customer making sure all is OK, but others who think Infinity is the only product out there with ourselves telling them how to do a manual install :/

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 20-Apr-11 10:04:36
Print Post

Why do we allow companies to stamp all over the language?

> PCP-only provide.

PCP-only provision.

> self-install or accredited engineer install

Self-installation or accredited engineer installation.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Apr-11 15:02:34
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Why do we allow companies to stamp all over the language?

> PCP-only provide.

PCP-only provision.

> self-install or accredited engineer install

Self-installation or accredited engineer installation.
I just taxed my car via the DVLA website.

It says this site allows you to tax or SORN your vehicle. (Their capitals)

As many will know, a SORN is a Statutory Off-Road Notification.

I think that beats your examples smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
ISP Representative DaveTomlinson
(isp) Tue 26-Apr-11 22:01:10
Print Post

Sadly it's not a quite a self install wires only option, you still have to use the BT modem. I asked exactly the same question last week and got this answer:

"There are no immediate plans but Openreach are committed to working with CPs on it. What people may be getting confused with is a PCP Only trial that OR are planning. This enables Accredited CP Engineer install; but using Openreach supplied SSFP+Modem and NOT (for now anyway) a Wires Only device."

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Product Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Quark999
(learned) Wed 27-Apr-11 10:39:01
Print Post

[re: DaveTomlinson] [link to this post]

Or you just throw the Openreach Modem in the bin once the engineer has left and use your own. Will be interesting to see what happens if there is a fault on the line and if OR can tell that it's a different vendor hanging off the wires. I have not had any end-user documentation telling me that I HAVE to use that Huawei monstrosity...
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 27-Apr-11 10:59:37
Print Post

[re: Quark999] [link to this post]

I can't locate a document specifically for FTTC, but I think you'll find that the service demarcation boundary is the Ethernet port on the modem.

So if an engineer comes to investigate a fault and finds that you're using your own modem he'll probably walk away and BT will send you a big fat bill.

As for the modem itself... seems a perfectly competent little unit to me, I've had no trouble with it. It would be nice to be able to see the line stats, but I can't do anything about them and my curiosity doesn't extend to spending a couple of hundred quid for my own kit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Quark999
(learned) Wed 27-Apr-11 11:09:44
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Well, since I needed a router anyway, I bought one with a VDSL modem, of which there are a few now. So at the very least, my wall cupboard is now half as messy as it was before. I will obviously plug the OR modem back in before an engineer shows up, but I do find it intriguing that everyone talks about how important it is to use that modem, yet me as Mr. End-User would have no clue about that - it's just a modem, and there still is a wall socket, so why should I treat this differently than the modem I bought off PC World for my ADSL connection?

I'm exaggerating, but it seems that OR are trying to pass this off as rocket science (with their engineer visit, "special" faceplate, "special" modem), yet what they communicate to the end user beyond that in terms of actual T&Cs is very vague...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to