General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Justo
(newbie) Tue 26-Apr-11 19:32:44
Print Post

Do 'Sub' cabinets get a fibre cab too?

[link to this post]

Hi all, in my village we are getting FTTC in late June early July. The availability checker says I should get 30mbs which is fine with me as currently I get 1.3 on a good day!

In the village we have at least one full size cabinet with a number 4 on it and a much smaller one nearer to me with 4/2 on it. I assume the one near me is some sort of sub-cabinet or junction box. How does this kind of layout work when it comes to FTTC? Will they just put a second one near the larger cabinet 4 and not mine? As I say not too fussed as the availability checker shows some good expected speed coming my way, but just wondered.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 26-Apr-11 19:36:52
Print Post

Re: Do 'Sub' cabinets get a fibre cab too?

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

afaik the dslam goes at the main cabinet pcp but those off the scp do not get service at all (even though technically possible). But I might be out of date with the scp info. If the checker says you can get it though mabye you are not off the scp or the policy is now changed??
Standard User Ribble
(regular) Tue 26-Apr-11 19:51:11
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The main cab with get the FTTC cabinet. Whether anyone on the SCP can get service will depend on the usual deployment guidelines for speed/distance. The fact there is an SCP in itself wont make a difference.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Apr-11 21:21:25
Print Post

Just imagine that this 'secondary' cabinet (SCP) is just another large joint on your lines route. many SCP's round here have been replaced with underground joints. The SCP will not get its own DSLAM cabinet, but if your estmate is 30meg, then you can't be too far from the main PCP.

Standard User Justo
(newbie) Wed 27-Apr-11 10:10:27
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks all that's very interesting, so the SCP (now I know what they're called!) is likely a kind of junction box and so I'll keep and eye on the main cab down the road. I am about 500m from the main cab by road.
Standard User NuttyMucker
(regular) Wed 27-Apr-11 10:55:33
Print Post

My line runs through an SBC and I am 1 mile from the main cab which is going live hopefully this weekend. I will be ordering through ADSL24 who will maually force the order through and hopefully I will be able to get a reasonable sync!
Someone from the DETI scheme has told me that there have been numerous queries regarding SBC's and why these have not been upgraded, but he tells me that there is a possibility that these are next to be rolled out in the final third (Northern Ireland)

Edited by NuttyMucker (Wed 27-Apr-11 11:04:24)

Standard User Justo
(newbie) Thu 28-Apr-11 21:53:19
Print Post

[re: NuttyMucker] [link to this post]

Just another thought - do they leave the SCP in place even if the joins have been replaced by underground joints?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 28-Apr-11 22:23:35
Print Post

I have been observing some (odd) methods that BTOR seem to be using in my local area ,they have so far dug up some paving flags, then replaced them again, then removed them constructed a concrete base( plinth ) complete with several ducts, covered that with tarmac then returned several weeks later ,& removed several other paving flags ect, to put in ducting ,covered it up again then left it for over a week then returned uncovered it for several days (no cables in ducting) and returned again to tarmac over the plinth again????
strange method of installing fiber if you ask me, and a very expensive way of doing it , not that it bothers me, as that area is not served by my connected exchange with is the main one, but it is not scheduled to get fiber bt seem to forget that there is very good reason for those who live in affluent areas being affluent ,that is because they are tight asses hence why they are rich they don't like being parted with their wads of cash
so they bt are waisting their efforts
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Apr-11 09:41:24
Print Post

No, they usually do away with' the SCP shell afterwards.

Print Thread

Jump to