General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User aldredd
(newbie) Wed 27-Apr-11 16:35:48
Print Post

Router for FTTP (Belkin N1 Vision)

[link to this post]

Hello, 1st post here, so please be kind smile

I live in Milton Keynes, and after much searching, phoning & emailing, I've managed to find a company that will sort me out with a FTTP connection - wohoo! (currently get <1mb)

In their email to me, they say I need a PPPoE router. They say they can provide one - but for £120 - which is a bit much for me really
I currently have a Belkin N1 Vision Modem Router for my adsl connection

Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the modem element of this router, and use this, or do I need something different - any suggestions? (The one they were wanting to sell me is a Zyxel one I think)

Thanks for your help!

Edit:
OK, so the router they're offering to sell me is the Zyxel NBG-460N
It works out about £130 if I buy from them, or about £100 elsewhere.

So, is there a good alternative / or can I convert my existing router?

Edited by aldredd (Wed 27-Apr-11 17:40:00)

ISP Representative DaveTomlinson
(isp) Wed 27-Apr-11 23:58:27
Print Post

Re: Router for FTTP (Belkin N1 Vision)

[re: aldredd] [link to this post]

Hi,

Not sure if you can convert the Belkin N1, we've done similar with Thomson routers, you can convert one of the LAN ports to be a WAN port on them but the only other router we've done that on was a Cisco. Not tried anything else.

For FTTP we're supplying Netgear WNR3500 and ZyXEL NBG4604 routers but any wireless N cable router should work fine but assuming you're getting the 100Mbps FTTP you'll need something capable of 100Mbps WAN to LAN which means it would need to be wireless N 2x2 and not one of the entry level N routers (some are only capable of 60-70Mbps WAN to LAN which is fine for FTTC but not fast enough for FTTP).

Think we have customers using other higher end Netgears, Apple Airport Extreme/Time capsules, and Thomson TG789 routers.

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Product Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User aldredd
(newbie) Thu 28-Apr-11 09:17:11
Print Post

[re: DaveTomlinson] [link to this post]

Thanks Dave - appreciate your help.

Looks like my safe bet will be to go with their recommended router then (or the Zyxel one you mentioned) - I think there is still a good bit of value in my current router, so can claw some money back!

A tad OT, but are you the same Dave from the plus net FTTP thread? Is it correct that you're no longer adding people to the trial? Spent ages emailing, and speaking to people, and was told it all ended in January frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative DaveTomlinson
(isp) Thu 28-Apr-11 16:33:30
Print Post

I am the same Dave and we are still taking customers on, if you PM me who you spoke to our side I'll make sure they're updated. We changed the FTTC trial in January to charge for it but FTTP is still going as was.

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Product Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User aldredd
(newbie) Thu 28-Apr-11 16:42:47
Print Post

[re: DaveTomlinson] [link to this post]

Thanks Dave - PM sent smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 28-Apr-11 22:19:01
Print Post

I and a few others are using the Buffalo Nfiniti WHR-G300N. Seems fine to me and so far as I know the others are also happy.

The LAN is only 100Mbps ethernet. There is a similar one with 1Gbps LAN but the posts about it here have been less than encouraging.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User aldredd
(newbie) Fri 29-Apr-11 23:42:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks RobertoS

Quite keen to have gigabit lan

The other one you refer to I think is the G300NH?

Also like the look of the AGL300NH - what's the advantage of dual band? (I guess if I have to ask I don't need it!)

The Netgear 3500L seems to tick most of the boxes - I like the usb port on it!
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Apr-11 23:52:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by aldredd:
Also like the look of the AGL300NH - what's the advantage of dual band? (I guess if I have to ask I don't need it!)

Dual band is only any use if you have any wireless devices that can use the 5GHz band (or may get in the near future). I use a dual band router but I have two machines that have dual band wifi (iMac and Macbook Pro). The advantage for me is that no one else within range of me is using the 5GHz band so my laptop gives a solid 300Mbps connection. The iMac is wired and a speedtest with either machine gives full throughput.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Standard User aldredd
(newbie) Sat 30-Apr-11 21:36:33
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

Interesting, thanks for the clarification.
As it happens, I think my laptop does indeed have dual band - it's a few years old now but uses the intel 5100 wifi chip, which reading, does appear to be dual band.

Quite interested in this particular router now - quite like the almost retro look of it as well!

Shouldn't be any reason why it won't work on an FTTP line, is there?
ISP guys reckon any router ought work, with a 2x2 n wireless for best output - though I think many are 3x3 n now (including my existing one, I think)
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Apr-11 21:55:56
Print Post

As long as the router can do PPPoE it should work. (I use an Apple Airport Extreme, works well but pricy).

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to