General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rhino7
(newbie) Fri 29-Apr-11 10:16:55
Print Post

Modem & Router Info

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm about to sign up for an FTTC connection with BT but had a couple of questions regarding the modem and router setup. Firstly, am I correct in thinking that BT provide both a modem for the fibre connection and a separate wireless router (Homehub)? If so, is it necessary to use the BT wireless router or can I continue to use the Netgear SRXN3205 that I currently use? This has a WAN port so presumably I can just connect this to the new modem? Do BT provide a username and password (i.e. one that isn't hidden in their own router)?

Sorry for the ramble, just want to know how things will need to be connected up!

Thanks for any info!
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Apr-11 13:00:02
Print Post

Re: Modem & Router Info

[re: rhino7] [link to this post]

Yes, the Openreach engineer will provide the modem. If you choose BT Infinity, then they will post you a Homehub 3. You don't have to use this, but keep it anyhow as a spare. No secret with the username, anything.you.like@btbroadband.com no password required, just like the ADSL product.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 30-Apr-11 14:38:07
Print Post

[re: rhino7] [link to this post]

Be an idea to see if the Home Hub works before replacing it. Finding it doesn't, when needed as standby, is a bit too late.

I think the engineer will actually check you can connect through it, but not certain.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Sat 30-Apr-11 15:30:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think the engineer will actually check you can connect through it, but not certain.

They do, they will leave you with one working computer connected through the homehub. I changed the homehub for my Airport Extreme as soon as they had left.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 23-Jun-11 19:34:49
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

did you ever get your netgear prosafe srxn3205 working with the openreach modem?
  Print Thread

Jump to