General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tonym
(member) Fri 29-Apr-11 19:32:31
Print Post

BT Wholesale Check for fibre

[link to this post]

Using BT Broadband on what I believe is ADSL2, have a speed of 5.5mb on South Benfleet exchange. . I have checked the BT checker as the exchange was enabled months ago for fibre. It used to tell me that my Cabinet was going to have fibre and I could expext a speed of 31mb approx (cabinet about 400metres away).

Cabinet has now been fitted and work has been done inside it (Not yet finished but due to go live September).
When I now check on the BT Wholesale checker all i get is:

For Telephone Number 01268****** on Exchange SOUTH BENFLEET

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not support a reliable ADSL Max broadband service, with current technology. However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will still be accepted, but an engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the service.

Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not support a reliable ADSL2+ broadband service, with current technology. However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will still be accepted, but an engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the service.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Why now, no mention of fibre. According to the above I am lucky to get any broadband at all, when before they said I would get approx 31mb.

Input my next door neighbours number and it tells me he can get an expected speed of 31mb when it goes live and tells him at the moment he can get a ADSL speed opf approx 3MB to 6MB

tonym
Standard User kasg
(committed) Fri 29-Apr-11 20:13:48
Print Post

Re: BT Wholesale Check for fibre

[re: tonym] [link to this post]

Must be a database error, surely, since you know the ADSL information is wrong. I'm not sure how you get it fixed though and it will presumably need to be fixed before you can place an order for FTTC.

I have noticed that since my nearest fibre cabinet was enabled, the figures given on the checker for ADSL have got much worse - mine now says "Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to receive fixed 512Kbps or 256Kbps broadband service due to the very long length of your telephone line. However, your order will be accepted if you still wish to order. An engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service." which is nonsense.

Kevin

Plusnet Extra - soon to be Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User tonym
(member) Fri 29-Apr-11 20:34:29
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
Must be a database error, surely, since you know the ADSL information is wrong. I'm not sure how you get it fixed though and it will presumably need to be fixed before you can place an order for FTTC.

Correct, I cannot see anyone taking a infinity (Fibre) order when the Cabinet goes live when they do a check on the number. But trying to get the correct dept/company to sort it out ,could be a nightmare knowing the BT infrastructure.

tonym

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 29-Apr-11 22:49:10
Print Post

same thing happened to me then once i got my fttc installed it displayed correctly they really do need to sort this out
Standard User Embraer
(regular) Fri 29-Apr-11 23:42:25
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Sucks that. I'm sort of in the same boat. Properties either side of me predicted 27.2mbps when the exchange goes live, I'm stuck at 14.4! I've fired off an email to BT's Executive Level Complaints department - address your email to BT's CEO Ian.Livingston@BT.com and your situation will be passed on to them. They're quick as well

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, Bye Bye O2 once FTTC arrives on my exchange
Standard User mr_spokey
(newbie) Sat 30-Apr-11 00:02:06
Print Post

Got the same message on BT Wholesale checker when BT took over my line.I knew the information was incorrect, rang BT five times, got nowhere. Five weeks later it came up with the correct information. Good luck.
Standard User craigglawson
(regular) Sat 30-Apr-11 01:35:22
Print Post

[re: mr_spokey] [link to this post]

Have you tried your postcode?

I checked my house, my parents and the in-laws. Numbers show no fibre, but with Postcode, they show fibre in the area and speeds.

Might be an idea?
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 30-Apr-11 05:21:37
Print Post

Seen this happen a few times on the forums...FTTC appears on the checker, then close to the time it disappears, and then a while later it reappears again.

You might be in the disappearing phase.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Apr-11 09:54:41
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
they really do need to sort this out

Never going to happen; they still haven't sorted out the ADSL side of the checker (which, on occasion, gives stupid results due to database errors) and ADSL has been with us for close to 12 years.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User mr_spokey
(newbie) Sat 30-Apr-11 10:50:56
Print Post

[re: craigglawson] [link to this post]

Postcode and house number showed fibre available @ 37.8 Mbs, ADSL2+ @17 Mbs and ADSL Max @ 6.8Mbs but phone number the same message as the OP.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to