General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Embraer
(regular) Sat 30-Apr-11 17:11:01
Print Post

Strange Cabinet

[link to this post]

My exchange has had all the FTTC infrastructure installed over the last few weeks and according to Openreach my cab has been upgraded with a predicted speed on the Wholesale website. What is odd is the cabinet that is supposed to be servicing my property. The cab is situated next to a small building site, it was originally a single dwelling on a large plot and is now having roughly 14 properties built on it. All of the surrounding cabinets are of the old thin faded grey/green type (with their numbers on) with their associated new fttc cabs in residence close by. My cabinet is stand-alone as far as I can tell but exhibits some of the external features of an fttc cab. Below is a link to a picture, is it possible that Openreach have installed some sort of hybrid cabinet as the old one may have been removed when the building work was started?

New Cabinet

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, Bye Bye O2 once FTTC arrives on my exchange
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 30-Apr-11 17:21:53
Print Post

Re: Strange Cabinet

[re: Embraer] [link to this post]

I think that is a normal (new vandal-proof?) ordinary phone cabinet.

Has the old one been removed or not? If that has just appeared, then there must be another one somewhere servicing you.

You imply there are lots of cabinets nearby. Are they all 2-digit numbered, or are some much longer numbers?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 30-Apr-11 17:22:10)

Standard User Embraer
(regular) Sat 30-Apr-11 17:31:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Nope, all are two digit, and it's been confirmed by an engineer, as he was diagnosing a line fault I had, that I am connected to Cab41. I'm not so worried as Wholesale say my cab is to be part of the upgrade etc., and a contact I have in Ian Livingston's complaints department has assured me that 41 is part of the upgrade

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, Bye Bye O2 once FTTC arrives on my exchange

Edited by Embraer (Sat 30-Apr-11 17:34:04)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burakkucat
(learned) Sat 30-Apr-11 19:14:13
Print Post

That looks, to me, to be just a standard telephony PCP cabinet.

I would expect there to be another cabinet, its fibre companion, somewhere close by if the service is currently enabled or the fibre cabinet has yet to be installed, if the service is not currently available to customers connected via No. 41.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User polemonkey
(newbie) Sat 30-Apr-11 21:30:58
Print Post

Don't worry it's fairly normal that they "re-shell" cabinets in preperation for FTTC work. Some of the older designs (cast steel as apposed to the new pressed steel) lack the space inside to provide the ducts and tie cables necessary to link to and from the FTTC cabinet.

So don't panic, you'll still be getting your FTTC smile
Standard User Embraer
(regular) Sat 30-Apr-11 23:49:57
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

It's the only cab out of 8 in my immediate neighbourhood that hasn't got an fttc twin, and boy have I looked. Every indication I've received, from the Wholesale checker to a nice lady in BT's ELC Dept, suggests the imminent arrival of fttc for me but until I have that nice shiny VDSL modem sitting on top of my Apple TimeCapsule and I'm murdering a movie download off iTunes I'm holding my breathe and standing by for disappointment. I've seen it all before with too many promises to improve my appalling speed

Standard User burakkucat
(learned) Sun 01-May-11 00:26:05
Print Post

[re: polemonkey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by polemonkey:
Don't worry it's fairly normal that they "re-shell" cabinets in preperation for FTTC work. Some of the older designs (cast steel as apposed to the new pressed steel) lack the space inside to provide the ducts and tie cables necessary to link to and from the FTTC cabinet.

So don't panic, you'll still be getting your FTTC smile
Assuming, from your forum ID, that you are an OR engineer would you agree that there is still a "fibre cabinet" to be installed, the partner to No. 41 ?

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-May-11 09:26:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by Embraer:
It's the only cab out of 8 in my immediate neighbourhood that hasn't got an fttc twin,

Maybe it's slaved from a neighbouring cabinet.
I think most people are assuming when OR upgrade a cabinet to have FTTC capability, the fibre (and accompanying vDSL equipment) will go all the way to every cabinet.
I wouldn't be surprised, especially on lightly loaded cabinets, to see OR locate the vDSL equipment at another cabinet just down the road.

What you have (certainly the shell, anyway) is a bog standard cab (our cabinet, just round the corner, has looked like yours since it was installed about 10 years ago).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User burakkucat
(learned) Sun 01-May-11 11:10:44
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adebov:
Maybe it's slaved from a neighbouring cabinet.
I think most people are assuming when OR upgrade a cabinet to have FTTC capability, the fibre (and accompanying vDSL equipment) will go all the way to every cabinet.
I wouldn't be surprised, especially on lightly loaded cabinets, to see OR locate the vDSL equipment at another cabinet just down the road.
That's an interesting suggestion. It really needs an OR engineer to comment or for Embraer, the OP, to track down and ask an engineer who is working in the local area.

Edited by burakkucat (Sun 01-May-11 11:11:59)

Standard User Embraer
(regular) Sun 01-May-11 16:13:39
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

I shall get my stalking gear on. The engineers on my exchange are a pretty approachable lot - it's a northern thing! The evidence points to a date when I can order but no cab puts doubt in my mind. The footprint that 41 serves is rather large though, so I don't see why it would be slaved

Image One shows the Cab locations, Slater 2 being cab41 and the arrow pointing to my property. As you can see that's a pretty dense series of estates. My estate has been completed since this OS map was produced as you can see from this Google Maps image

Edited by Embraer (Sun 01-May-11 17:28:44)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to