General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-May-11 16:56:08
Print Post

Is the Billion 7800N necessarily the best choice?

[link to this post]

I'm having difficuklty in deciding which router arrangement to use with the FTTC connection that's now available to me, should I wish to proceed. One or two things are casting doubt on the efficacy of the modem/router pairing. For example, I've seen a number of FTTC reviews where apparently the BT-supplied modem overheats after a while and then has to be turned off to cool down. Others say that, for that reason, the BT modem can only be operated vertically. I've horrible visions of moving away from my current very stable but quite slow ADSL2 connection, signing up with one of the half-dozen FTTC ISPs, only to be plagued by thermal problems with the modem. Okay, somebody's been looking into an alternative modem of late - the Fritzbox - but in a number of ways that doesn't meet my requirements, and its use is probably against BT's ruling anyway.

Then there's the Billion 7800N modem-router. Good performance, yes, but as far as I can tell nobody's reported in detail as to how it performs under FTTC, where of course the ADSL2/ADSL2+ aspect of the 7800N will be completely redundant - only the EWAN/router side of it would be used. This would also mean that the fact that it incorporates a Broadcom chip also becomes irrelevant, since presumably the Broadcom chip is a feature of its modem, not of its router. So, is the Billion 7800N necessarily the best choice for a fast PPPoE router with EWAN, rather than RJ11, connectivity to the BT modem?

For FTTC, I'm just wondering if I should hang on to my trusty Netgear DG834 router (I use a wired version) and use that instead. It's configurable to PPPoE and surely one could effectively make an EWAN connection to the BT modem by using one of the four Ethernet ports on it? Couldn't one? Or would there be a problem with that? Presumably, the DG834 can handle Ethernet at 40M bps and thereabouts?

I'd be interested to hear from FTTC users, to find out just what foibles the BT modem has, and also which routers they're now using. The Billion 7800N is, according to many, a superb ADSL router/modem but, at over £100, would be an expensive acquisition, especially since half of it would go unused for FTTC.
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Sat 07-May-11 00:55:57
Print Post

Re: Is the Billion 7800N necessarily the best choice?

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

Can you get the DG834 to act as a router alone? With an ethernet WAN port?

My experience of the 834 is that the modem part is linked to the DSL WAN port, and that nothing else will do - so even though you can pick PPPoE, it goes over the integrated modem.

Therefore no point in integrating it with the BT Modem (or any other standalone modem).
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-May-11 11:04:35
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Wombat,

I half suspected that that was the case, but wasn't sure. (Are you sure?). I guess I'll have no option but to change to a different router, then. Shame, because I've really got to like my DG834.

I've been using the wired version of the 834, as I've no real need for wireless. Being a combined ADSL router-and-modem and using a Broadcom chip in its modem dept., it's worked wonderfully well with the DMT utility, allowing me to almost instantly tailor the line SNR to achieve stable operation on my long line. Sadly, this will not be possible if I move to FTTC. One could argue that, with FTTC, tweaking the SNR will be unnecessary but, knowing my luck, the large amount of spurious noise that gets picked up on my line will turn out to occur within the 700m between my house and the cabinet and so the fibre then won't help in that regard!

Are you yourself already on FTTC, Wombat? If so, which router(s) do you recommend? The Billion 7800N seems the bee's knees for those who normally use wireless operation. However, I personally don't need - at least, for the foreseeable future - a strongly-performing wireless N-type router (since I'll be connecting in wired fashion), or one that also incorporates an ADSL modem (since this will be redundant for FTTC and can't be used as a fallback, not unless there's a complete reversion by the user to ADSL2/+ line operation), these being two of the features of the Billion. So, I've been looking very closely at the Netgear WNR1000, RP614, and WNDR3700 instead. Two of these are wireless. However, they do also provide for wired connection. All three seem to have an RJ45-type connection for a DSL modem.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mr_bean
(regular) Sat 07-May-11 14:44:31
Print Post

...(Are you sure?)...
The PPPoE entry on the 834 refers to PPPoE over ATM - it's one of the AAL5 link layer encapsulations and was (I believe) much more common for ISPs t'other side of the pond. Pretty much all the UK ISPs used PPPoA.

Sadly, although the hardware in the dg834g would be ideal for the job it isn't wired up quite the right way - all of the 4 exposed ethernet ports are connected to the internal switch. Had one of the CPU Ethernet interfaces been brought out to serve a DMZ it would not have been difficult to reuse that for a WAN port, but that wasn't done on the 834.

I'm using a WZR-HP-300NH and it's been fine so far.

Edited by mr_bean (Sat 07-May-11 15:17:01)

Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-May-11 15:14:50
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

Well, from what you're all now telling me, sadly I won't be able to use my DG834.

Mr Bean (heh, heh, heh), are you using your Buffalo WZR-HP-300NH in an FTTC setup, or just an ADSL2/+ setup? If you're using FTTC, then what's your view, so far, of the BT modem? Is it stable? To stop the BT modem overheating, can you only use it in one orientation?

Know if anyone's published a picture of the BT modem?
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 07-May-11 15:22:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by meditator:
Several linked to in this post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mr_bean
(regular) Sat 07-May-11 15:23:54
Print Post

are you using your Buffalo WZR-HP-300NH in an FTTC setup, or just an ADSL2/+ setup?
FTTC
what's your view, so far, of the BT modem? Is it stable?
Mine's been fine although the OR engineer said they'd been told to mount them vertically which he did - doesn't seem to get too warm at all like that.
There's one here
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-May-11 18:11:17
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

Thanks, everyone, for the pics of the BT OR modem. It looks more like something that belongs in your bathroom, doesn't it? Can't say that I'm at all impressed by it having the connections on the front, either.

I'm intrigued by the new faceplate that BT fits to the master socket. It now appears to have an RJ11 outlet in the upper half, and the usual phone outlet in the lower half. So, does the new upper and lower section still sit over the basic NTE5? That is, is the new lower and upper half faceplate an integrated piece that then plugs into the base NTE5, the latter still having an internal socket situated slightly to the right (seen when you remove the user faceplate)? I ask because I would be fitting an XTE-2005 faceplate over the NTE5 instead. The XTE-2005 would give me unfiltered IDC outputs on its rear, essential for me to make a 12m long connection through the wall and eventually into my computer room. Since I'm wired not wireless, there's no way that a modem and router could remain by the master socket. And, for a variety of reasons, trailing leads would be out of the question. Indeed, I've already re-cabled the extension, using screened Cat5e and an XTF-85 at the end of the extension. This alone has gained me some extra speed at ADSL2 and, with the way I've done it, is aesthetically very good (it's had to pass through a bedroom). Beats anything comparable that BT could ever implement.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 07-May-11 18:32:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by meditator:
Can't say that I'm at all impressed by it having the connections on the front, either.
They're not really on the front... if you have it on the desk or whatever with the connections at the back, the writing is upside down. It's plainly intended to be wall-mounted, and if you mount it with the writing the right way up, the connections come out of the bottom.

BT logic tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-May-11 19:03:08
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Ah, I see. That's fair enough, I suppose. But how many other modems (of whatever ilk) on the market at present are designed specifically to be mounted on a wall? It once again indicates to me that BT is not all that savvy about users' wants and needs.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to