General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-May-11 16:32:18
Print Post

FTTC

[link to this post]

This is my first post and any feed back feedback to would be good.
I live in the DN 12 area of Doncaster S York's and Digital Region have installed FTTC in this area with a company called Origin-Broadband supplying the internet conection service. As the first people went live last month and everything was looking good I made enquires for myself, as we only get 1.8Mb max download speed with others even lower. That was when I found out that every cabinet but one had FTTC and the fiber cable went right passed the one without. After makeing a lot of phone call's as the one that was not connected was the one that my phone line goes to I was told that it was missed because it only had 32 phone lines active in it.
I have called BT to try and see if my line can be moved to a different cabinet and only got the runner around from one department to next.I did some checking and found that 3 cabinets are all within 365Mts of my home if anyone can tell my who to contact I would be very greatfull as I have been told there are no plans to conect the cabinet to the FTTC net work.
Standard User mr_bean
(regular) Sat 07-May-11 17:02:20
Print Post

Re: FTTC

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Pause for a moment to think about how your phone line gets to you and what would have to be dug up/re-sited to move it. Essentially the path is fixed and it isn't possible to be connected to a different cabinet, or exchange (as some people ask for).

Yes, this is a pain and it is worth badgering BT but don't expect yes as an answer and if you do get yes as an answer don't expect it to be cheap.

What sort of speed do you get now (router stats useful) and what alternatives are there? - eg 3G
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 08-May-11 09:00:42
Print Post

[re: mr_bean] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply you as for my router stats.
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1888 kbps 704 kbps
Line Attenuation 63.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 10.6 db 10.0 db
this is the best speed that I can get due to line length and quality.
You say 3G as an option but that would cost far more than what I pay at moment and more than what people are paying for the fiber option.
What is most annoying is the fact that the cabinet that was not connected has the fiber optic cable run right across the front of it only 1 foot away and the cabinets left and right are only 300 feet away in each direction.
So now 36 of us watch the rest of our area get speeds of 24Mb upto 40Mb depending on package taken its like been back on dial up and watching everyone on broadband.
Not a happy bunny but as they say thats life..... frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 08-May-11 09:11:00
Print Post

Re: Non-BT FTTC

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
What is most annoying is the fact that the cabinet that was not connected has the fiber optic cable run right across the front of it only 1 foot away and the cabinets left and right are only 300 feet away in each direction.
That is just not believable. You have to be mistaken. Please upload some photos of these cabinets, and also see what numbers are on them.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 08-May-11 09:13:59)

Standard User mr_bean
(regular) Sun 08-May-11 14:14:28
Print Post

Connection Speed 1888 kbps 704 kbps
Line Attenuation 63.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 10.6 db 10.0 db
OK, a long line but there might be room for some improvement.

First thing I'd look at is your internal wiring, it can make a surprising difference. Repeat the stats but using the test socket inside the BT master - if the sync is better there then tidying/improving the wiring or removing the bell wire/fitting an i-Plate might improve things.

Also the 10.6dB SNRM is a bit high. Usually this is because of instability or an SNR which varies a lot over 24 hours. It's probably worth rechecking the stats at various times of the day - if you don't get much variation (say, less than 3dB over the 24 hours) and you don't get too many disconnects and resyncs then see if your ISP will reset the SNRM to 6dB.

Finally some modems are better than others on long lines. I found the netgear dg834g v4 pretty good - what do you have?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 08-May-11 16:21:15
Print Post

The e-mail address you require is
ian.livingston@bt.com
His office has been of great help in the past.
Named member of staff will take charge of this matter & keep you informed.
Let us know of your progress.
Mike A
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 08-May-11 19:08:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
The e-mail address you require is
ian.livingston@bt.com
His office has been of great help in the past.
Named member of staff will take charge of this matter & keep you informed.
Let us know of your progress.
Mike A
The OP said
Digital Region have installed FTTC in this area with a company called Origin-Broadband supplying the internet conection service.
What has BT CEO got to do with that?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to