General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 07-May-11 18:58:15
Print Post

BT Cease my FTTC connection?

[link to this post]

Have been on FTTC since the 7th of last month, first on the exchange (Devoran) and all was well until this Thursday when the conncetion just went dead. Had been using it all day with and have not had any disconnects in the whole month I've had it.

The only issue I had was that my ISP still had me on an 8mb profile within their network on install day, the engineer mentioned that the download speed was not right but left everything in place with a 40/10mb sync (200m from cab), although he was told to put it all back due to the speed. A phone call to my ISP sorted out the traffic profile and since then I had a solid 37 down and 8 up, well over 4.5MB/s for real world transfers with great latency.

After the conncetion went dead and a couple of calls to my ISP, they have found out that a BT 'Frames' engineer went to the exchange and ceased my line! They could not give me a reason why this has happened and I think that some words were exchanged. Two weeks was the original estimate to fix it, the ISP got that down to next Wednesday - BT said that they wouldn't charge for this apparently - cheek!

My guess is that because of the speed issue on first day, down to the ISP's traffic profile and not the line, it was flagged to be removed and it has only just got acted upon. I'm pretty hacked off with BT on this but was wondering if anyone else had heard of this happening before?

Only found a couple of related post on the web so far.

Don't want this to have any impact on the conncetion once they restore it, phone has been fine but suffering on a 3G modem after 40mb is painful.

Tom
Standard User mrnelster
(committed) Sun 08-May-11 09:09:13
Print Post

Re: BT Cease my FTTC connection?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

.......suffering on a 3G modem after 40mb is painful.

I bet it is.

That's why I couldn't have gone with BT, no matter how cheap they make it. Imagine the stress if you had to make those calls to them instead of your chosen ISP? frown

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 08-May-11 09:27:47
Print Post

...although he was told to put it all back due to the speed...

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Was the engineer instructed to remove the installation, and if so, by whom?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-May-11 10:42:01
Print Post

After the conncetion went dead and a couple of calls to my ISP, they have found out that a BT 'Frames' engineer went to the exchange and ceased my line! They could not give me a reason why this has happened

OK, but a frames cease (correctly raised to recover the old SMPF ties) would just have you lose dialling tone. Your sync now comes from the street cabinet. So this wasn't the cause.

The two more likely causes of your fault are a dead modem, or a 'rogue' software cease of the FTTC sync.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 08-May-11 14:36:03
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
After the conncetion went dead and a couple of calls to my ISP, they have found out that a BT 'Frames' engineer went to the exchange and ceased my line! They could not give me a reason why this has happened

OK, but a frames cease (correctly raised to recover the old SMPF ties) would just have you lose dialling tone. Your sync now comes from the street cabinet. So this wasn't the cause.

The two more likely causes of your fault are a dead modem, or a 'rogue' software cease of the FTTC sync.

When I called the ISP after the connecetion dropped, a check on their system showed that they had a note from BT relating to my FTTC order number and that an engineer had been to exchange that day (not requested by me or the ISP. The next day the fibre guy at the ISP found out that he had been to the exchange in order to cease the connection, BT have messed up and haven't given a reason for this.

Still have dial tone on the phone line and modem is showing a solid green on the dsl light (not sure if that warrants a sync though?), although by the sounds of it the BT supplied modems are not great. Could be a software issue like you mention but the fact the guy was at the exchange on a job relating to my FTTC order sounds like they dropped the ball.

Like another poster says, glad that I didn't have to spend the day on the phone to them - get enough of that at work!

Have been informed that it will require a visit to the exchange by BT to resolve, hope they can get this done asap.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 08-May-11 14:47:30
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:
...although he was told to put it all back due to the speed...

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Was the engineer instructed to remove the installation, and if so, by whom?

Yep, after showing me it sync at max, a line test showed a fault on the line a couple of houses down. Intial speed test also had it at 8mb down and just over that up, he saw this and thought it was the line fault causing the problem (this was actually an internal ISP profile limit and was resolved later that day).

Whoever he spoke to on the phone during the install told him to put it back the way it was before the FTTC install, failing the speed test (guessing the 15mb min) was brought up alongside the line fault. He left it all in place, as it was 8x better than the adsl connection I had before and he would have been back the next week to put it all back again once the line fault was fixed.

Tom
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-May-11 15:07:00
Print Post

but the fact the guy was at the exchange on a job relating to my FTTC order sounds like they dropped the ball.

You've missed the point, the only thing coming from the exchange to you is the dial tone, which you state has not been lost. The cease the exchange staff were actioning was raised automatically to recover your old ADSL equipment connections.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 08-May-11 15:11:43
Print Post

but the fact the guy was at the exchange on a job relating to my FTTC order sounds like they dropped the ball.
You've missed the point, the only thing coming from the exchange to you is the dial tone, which you state has not been lost. The cease the exchange staff were actioning was raised automatically to recover your old ADSL equipment connections.
What is worrying me all the way through this thread is why the throughput speed from the ISP even entered into the original testing.

I thought the engineer was supposed to test the sync speed quite independent of any ISP relationship?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 08-May-11 15:25:26
Print Post

BT have told my ISP that the change at the exchange is what has caused the problem and an engineer visit to the exchange is needed to resolve it. Don't have an intimate understanding of the exchange hardware, but understand that I now sync with the cab - are there no endpoints at the exchange that can affect FTTC connectivity beyond the enpoint at the cab?

Would love to get onto the modem and check the sync just to rule that out as a point of failure, it has showed solid green from day one.

RE the speed issue, I think that the line fault found after the install was the deciding factor in him being told to abort the install, it was mentioned during the conversation though and I showed him the intial result. The line fault was fixed a couple of days after install day but made no odds to the conncetion.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-May-11 15:41:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I thought the engineer was supposed to test the sync speed quite independent of any ISP relationship?

They are Bob.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to