General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andy_K
(learned) Sun 08-May-11 07:59:01
Print Post

Leyland Exchange - Cabinet Activation

[link to this post]

Hello all, and thanks for all the useful information that you guys post in the forum and online.

My exchange Leyland is due for FTTC enablement at the end of June and the postcode checker shows that my postcode as follows:

"Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed between 28.2 to 31.4 Mbps and upstream line speed between 5.9 to 7 Mbps."

The estate that I live on is called Buckshaw Village and it is a brand new build site that started being built in 2006 and is still being developed heavily. The postcodes are pretty much 1 postcode per street, and I have check a number that all indicate that FTTC is coming

We've also had a squadron of BT vans in the streets and the guys who have asked have been told that they are working on fibre broadband.

The phone number checker is not showing any availability for either my number or any others that I know are nearby.

Is this usual practice for the postcode checker to be updated before the line checker and is there any way to confirm that Buckshaw will be getting FTTC for sure.

Thanks once more.

Andy
Standard User MadPom
(regular) Sun 08-May-11 10:51:30
Print Post

Re: Leyland Exchange - Cabinet Activation

[re: Andy_K] [link to this post]

I know where Buckshaw is - I'm the other side of the M61 from you, on the Chorley exchange which went live a few weeks ago (my FTTC install date is this Friday 13th!).

The original RFS date for Chorley was 31st March. Before mid-March, if I used my phone number on the BT wholesale checker I saw no mention of FTTC, but if I used my postcode then it gave a line estimate of 30mbps down, but no date.

About the middle of March the checker was updated and I finally had a date when checking my phone number, but it was for 1st June! Then on the 13th Apr the checker updated again so that on entering my phone number it gave an RFS date of 20th April. Sure enough I was able to order on 20th Apr and my install date is this coming Friday!

Hope this info helps.
Standard User Embraer
(member) Sun 08-May-11 11:34:16
Print Post

What is strange is that when you look at the famous Cab/Postcode spreadsheet the Buckshaw cabinets aren't showing as being activated. This is odd as the cabinets are in place

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4916299/PCP%20to%20Postcode%...

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, Bye Bye O2 once FTTC arrives on my exchange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tim27wf
(newbie) Sun 08-May-11 17:41:31
Print Post

Andy,

If u use the document available in the thread you will see buckshaw or at least most of it has been omitted. Certainly I know pr7 7 nb has as we have premisses there. I live up on fossdale moss and have found out that the pcp for my surrounding area also feeds part of the moss side industrial estate.

The bt wholesale check does give a fttc result but I doubt our area will see it unless we can pressurise bt in some way.

With regards buckshaw I will be astounded if it is not covered as it is lacking in proper connectivity and should have been identified as a priority. People local to the exchange going from 20 mb adsl to 40 mb fttc should have been classified lower in the work needed to ensure a fair distribution of fast broadband service.

Bt have decided not to updade pcp 45 46 47 48 and about 400 homes are on 48.

I suspect part of the deciding factor is revenue for bt. Commercial connections are not a priority so residential and mixed pcp are omitted.

Looks the same for my main office in Chorley as the postcode pr7 1nh has not been picked for
Fttc.

I have a couple of calls in to bt and would hope for some dialogue this week
Standard User burakkucat
(regular) Sun 08-May-11 19:53:02
Print Post

Hi Andy,

Would you be willing to disclose your postcode here, please? It will give us something to work with and then, perhaps, some more information can be elucidated.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User tim27wf
(newbie) Mon 09-May-11 13:19:39
Print Post

Further to yesterdays post I have now used the xls sheet to compile a list of the cabinets not included in the Leyland rollout

They are as follows:
10, 11, 12 13 20 25 32 35 40 45 46 47 48 51 56 58 59 60

The lower numbers in the area would you believe is the central commercial shopping area in leyland, there is also the industrial areas of Farington and the area surrounding the Prison estate. Moss side industrial estate too, and Buckshaw village which is a mixture of commercial and residential. There is also 1 rural location

I think that is enough evidence to show the commercial sector is being ignored on this exchange. Please noe this is based on the xls sheet widely available and as yet I have been unable to confirm the exact omissions with BT.

The downside for myself and Buckshaw residents is living close to the commercial area it looks like there is an attempt to maximise revenue from existing corporate leased lines and alike when a fibre solution would reduce costs significanlty

If I get any more info I will post an update.
Thanks
Standard User Andy_K
(learned) Mon 09-May-11 14:20:28
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the help

My postcode is PR7 7AH and my Mother in Laws house, also in Buckshaw is PR7 7BF

Thanks,

Andy
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 09-May-11 14:24:16
Print Post

I've seen this in the Penketh exchange as well, postcode checker shows that it'll be upgraded, but no mention at all on the phone checker. I checked the recent document showing exchanges/cabinets to be upgraded, and the only entry for my postcode shows that it will be enabled, with 100% of the lines.

No idea if its an issue with the checker or if the upgrade plans have been recently scaled back for this upgrade phase. Guess we'll find out in a month or two's time.
Standard User tim27wf
(newbie) Mon 09-May-11 14:56:16
Print Post

Both postcodes are on PCP 58, and according to the document this will not be on the Jun 2011 rollout. The stories I am hearing is that there is lots of Openreach activity in Buckshaw at the minute so this may change quite quickly.

We have business premises on Buckshaw and would like the benefit of fast BB, I am really hoping the document is not accurate.
Standard User tim27wf
(newbie) Mon 09-May-11 15:05:33
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Thats the same for me, postcode checker gives me the FTTC blurb but off the document I can see as you are there is no "yes" for fttc so we must wait I fear

Cheers
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to