General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User eddie1150
(regular) Mon 09-May-11 10:35:21
Print Post

My first encounter with the Digital Economy ACt

[link to this post]

Well, last night i decided to download the series of hawaii 5-0 due to having a new born, and been up through most of the night.
I opted to use torrent instead of usenet, as its just easier for finding the right files.
For the first time since ive been on a pc ( and i have in the past downloaded lots of things) i receive this email from my ISP...

Dear Edward,

We have received notification from a 3rd party acting on behalf of the interests of a copyright holder that copyrighted material is being redistributed from the following account.

Account Username : abb-****@aquiss.com Account Line Number : *****3

We have been provided by the 3rd party with the following evidentiary information about the infringement.

----------------------------------
Infringing Work: Hawaii 5-0
First Found: 8 May 2011 20:21:58 EDT (GMT -0400) Last Found: 8 May 2011 20:21:58 EDT (GMT -0400) IP Address: 87.127.123.247 IP Port: 41257
Protocol: BitTorrent
Torrent InfoHash: 75959BC1C3101F79648A443BF24B85B788216F3E
Containing file(s):
Hawaii.Five-0.2010.S01E05.HDTV.XviD-LOL.[VTV].avi.torrent (366,548,620 bytes)

----------------------------------

On June 8th 2010, the UK Government passed a cross party bill, which is called the "Digital Economy Act 2010". Since this date, it has been illegal to download and distribute copyright infringed material via all mediums, including the Internet. The "Digital Economy Act 2010" also gives powers to fine and prosecute, via Court Order, those who seek not to adhere to notices from ISPs.

ISPs, such as Aquiss, are obligated under this Act to inform our customers when we receive a notice against an account. We are also further obligated, once a customer has received 3 notices, to suspend an account.

Please advise, by replying to this email, when this file has been removed.

Reading References:
[-] http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/24/contents

Best Regards,

---------------------------------------------------------
Customer Services Team
Aquiss Internet
T: 01746 708090
F: 01746 708091
E: support@aquiss.net
W: http://www.aquiss.net
---------------------------------------------------------

The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential and may also be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient then please delete forthwith.
It says distribution of copyright works, so im assuming its because it had been seeded as well as downloaded?
Stupid new uk laws!
Standard User GMAN98
(committed) Mon 09-May-11 10:40:21
Print Post

Re: My first encounter with the Digital Economy ACt

[re: eddie1150] [link to this post]

Last time you use torrents then smile
Standard User GMAN98
(committed) Mon 09-May-11 10:56:22
Print Post

Interesting text on their emails though. I thought the issue was the sharing of the material, not the downloading itself.

I take it your client automatically shares what is downloaded? Although based on what they are saying downloading is also a problem, its a bit of a conflict really, it takes about redistributed and then downloading

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User monkeyarms
(committed) Mon 09-May-11 11:12:39
Print Post

[re: GMAN98] [link to this post]

Also interesting is ..
Please advise, by replying to this email, when this file has been removed

ie please admit in writing to what you are accused of.
Standard User eddie1150
(regular) Mon 09-May-11 11:13:17
Print Post

[re: GMAN98] [link to this post]

Indeed the last time i use them!
and yeah with torrents you download from a peer, then re upload whatevers downloaded to other peers
Standard User eddie1150
(regular) Mon 09-May-11 11:30:55
Print Post

[re: monkeyarms] [link to this post]

Indeed, i didn't intentionally distribute it though, so dont think i will be replying to that.
the annoying thing is, i can save the whole series on sky+, that used to be illegal, but i wouldnt get an email about that would i?!
Standard User aquiss
(experienced) Mon 09-May-11 11:31:16
Print Post

Hi Edward,

Let me clear this up for you a little. What you have here is a copy of what Entanet have sent us regarding notice of Copyright Infringement, who they inturn have been informed about. We just relay it on to you accordingly, automatically. None of your details gets sent back to other way.

As we mention to every customer, we are not the police and this whole Act is annoying at best, but at present we will also pass on all notices to a customer so that they can make an informed choice. We have to been seen to be acting upon reports wink

My advice, don't use Torrents wink

If you have any issues, do give me a shout in the office.

Standard User eddie1150
(regular) Mon 09-May-11 11:35:32
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

No issues Martin,
Just annoys me how "they" think they will combat piracy, when all they do is push it underground!
Not your fault, just these stupid laws which obviously as a company, you need to adhere to.
Dont worry ill be sticking to usenet from now on smile ha!
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-May-11 12:11:35
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

Just don't use torrents from public trackers, if you use torrents from private trackers with closed membership or membership that is vetted, then you won't be fount via your IP.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-May-11 17:12:51
Print Post

[re: krazykizza] [link to this post]

In all the years a friend of mine has been heavily using p2p, she has never got such an email. She has acquired the info and links to deal with them. She is also set up to use VPN for such downloads should the need arise.

Apparently most major usenet companies offer encrypted connections too.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to