General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 09-May-11 18:39:05
Print Post

Moving from Sky to BT Infinitiy

[link to this post]

Hi all.

I currently have broadband through sky which also includes my line rental.

So if I move t BT infinity, I know I have to give them my mac number, but don't I need to have a BT line? My line is paid through sk, so I think I have to move this as well.

Anyone know what I need to do?
Thanks
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-May-11 19:10:02
Print Post

Re: Moving from Sky to BT Infinitiy

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13733/

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?
Standard User woooshuk
(committed) Mon 09-May-11 19:18:26
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

"you'll need a residential line and a BT calls and phone line service package from BT before we can install BT Infinity."

Really? I had a call and phone line package from IDNET when I ordered fibre. So, if you want the Infinity product you need to move back to BT for calls? Many other fibre over BT suppliers out there.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 09-May-11 20:18:29
Print Post

Re: Moving from Sky to BT Infinitiy *DELETED*

[re: orly] [link to this post]

Post deleted by RobertoS
Standard User Renfrew
(regular) Mon 09-May-11 23:21:35
Print Post

[re: woooshuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by woooshuk:
"you'll need a residential line and a BT calls and phone line service package from BT before we can install BT Infinity."

Really? I had a call and phone line package from IDNET when I ordered fibre. So, if you want the Infinity product you need to move back to BT for calls? Many other fibre over BT suppliers out there.

I think you've overlooked the point that "BT Infinity" is a specific BT Retail branded product, not to be confused with the BT Wholesale FTTC product resold by independent ISPs.

BT Retail want customers to take their phone service as a condition of supplying their branded Infinity product. If you don't want to do that, then get a FTTC product from another supplier using the BT Wholesale product which doesn't require you to take BT's phone service, but it won't be BT Infinity.

This strategy won't work, however, with companies that take over your phone line entirely (i.e., MPF) unless they also happen to offer independent exchange-based (GEA) access to FTTC, such as TalkTalk which is the only one I know of at present. In that case, you are still tied into one supplier for all their telecoms services and also for an 18 month contract.

I hope that's clear? :^)

--
Dave N

Every day, ...... is another day
Standard User craigglawson
(regular) Mon 09-May-11 23:52:51
Print Post

[re: Renfrew] [link to this post]

I believe that is only applicable if you have a package with BT Infinity in it.

You can get BT Infinity on it's own, but you'd need to have a line on the BT Network for this.
Standard User Renfrew
(regular) Tue 10-May-11 00:47:17
Print Post

[re: craigglawson] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by craigglawson:
I believe that is only applicable if you have a package with BT Infinity in it.

You can get BT Infinity on it's own, but you'd need to have a line on the BT Network for this.

Erm, no that is not correct. We seem to be going round in circles. See earlier posts in this thread which refer to BT's requirements:- "you'll need a residential line and a BT calls and phone line service package from BT before we can install BT Infinity." Orly's post has a URI for a direct link to where that statement appears on BT's web site.

If you just want FTTC, that is a different matter which I've just explained in my earlier post but it will not be branded as BT Infinity.

--
Dave N

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 10-May-11 20:52:59
Print Post

The last time this discussion came up there was a well-hidden page on the BT Retail website which did give Infinity prices quite independent of rental/call plans. I haven't thought of a way to find the post that IIRC XraySpeX first linked to it, or one by me later, and thence a link to the page, but there doesn't appear to be any such page now.

I agree with you that it looks as if BT Retail will only offer Infinity if bundled with BT Retail line rental. I think I found in 30 mins or so searching earlier today that you can get these two without a call plan, but that is pointless as the lowest call plan is included with normal line rental anyway.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 10-May-11 20:53:38)

Standard User Renfrew
(regular) Tue 10-May-11 22:59:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The last time this discussion came up there was a well-hidden page on the BT Retail website which did give Infinity prices quite independent of rental/call plans. I haven't thought of a way to find the post that IIRC XraySpeX first linked to it, or one by me later, and thence a link to the page, but there doesn't appear to be any such page now.
[...]

Given BT's current unambiguous statement on their web site, I would be intrigued to hear of anyone who's had BT Infinity installed whilst still taking their line rental service via another supplier.

--
Dave N

Standard User hareng
(newbie) Wed 11-May-11 00:52:29
Print Post

If its any help i specifically tested the field as something to fall back on by asking the question online, phone and by email. Quite funny the online chat one.
All said same thing must have BT line and calls.

I do have a BT managed line but rental is not directly paid to them its through an online phone company must be good, been wth them 5 years and 4 ISP inc an FTTC

You will find those that tout and offer call packages as a deal they work out dearer than shopping around, read the small print and pricing.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to