General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User probos
(newbie) Mon 09-May-11 21:59:12
Print Post

ISP Misleading FTTC availability

[link to this post]

Well done Plusnet for misleading a potential customer. Click on their map and it states

"Great news! Plusnet Fibre will be available in these exchange areas from 19th April 2011.

Bath Kingsmead, Blunsdon, Bristol North, Bristol West, Chippenham, Downend Trowbridge, Midsomer Norton, Portishead, Radstock, Swindon, Toothill, Trowbridge, Worle"

Then using check availability with a phone number. Sorry Plusnet Fibre isn't available in your area yet.

Have to admit I knew the answer would be a negative, as BT checker says my exchange will not be ready until 30th Jun 2011. This date will pass as have all the previous (wishful thinking) dates have passed. BT have only recently started asking planning permission for the new cabinets. But not where I live, though I know the fible cable has been laid. Unless anyone in Bath knows different, don't expect FTTC till end of year.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 09-May-11 22:15:19
Print Post

Re: ISP Misleading FTTC availability

[re: probos] [link to this post]

Apparently it is available in some parts of the area covered by Kingsmead exchange. Have you tried a few other postcodes or addresses a mile or so away from you to see if they can get it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User probos
(newbie) Mon 09-May-11 23:10:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Have tried other local numbers and post codes same result.
Also download the spreadsheet showing exchanges, cabinets etc.
I'm phase 5B, whenever that may be. Have not seen any new cabinets in Bath.
As I said before not hopeful for 30th June 2011.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User craigglawson
(regular) Mon 09-May-11 23:53:23
Print Post

Can it be misleading when they say availability is never guaranteed?
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Tue 10-May-11 14:59:36
Print Post

At an exchange level, this site gets the updates: Openreach "where & when".

On an individual phone line, the standard BT wholesale DSL checker is best, and applies to any ISP.

The phase numbering relates to the plans when BT announced the exchange would get fibre. Different exchanges move back-and-forth at different rates, but the phase number doesn't change.

For example, Woking was originally down for Mar 2011 (probably the same as Bath Kingsmead, and the source of Plusnet's map data), but recently got moved onto the "coming later" list as Dec 2011. It is still marked as phase 5b largely, with some cabinets delayed into 6a.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 10-May-11 21:15:06
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Interesting link, thanks smile.

It seems to list GEA, (or maybe VULA), ISPs, which is something I don't think we had seen before. That list in itself is very interesting, re both inclusions and omissions.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User k0065126
(learned) Wed 11-May-11 10:19:24
Print Post

Re: ISP Misleading FTTC availability *DELETED*

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Post deleted by k0065126
  Print Thread

Jump to