General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Justo
(newbie) Tue 10-May-11 11:14:34
Print Post

10 years almost to the day

[link to this post]

Currently, the checkers are showing my FTTC availability as being July 2011.

This will nearly be 10 years to the day that I first got my 512k ADSL frog-modem installed by an OR engineer.

The excitement (and cost!) of getting internet speeds 10x quicker in 2011 was huge and I remember people being amazed by ADSL when I showed them. It seems like history and technology is repeating, giving me what should be a 30x increase a decade on.

Interestingly I've clearly been really unlucky with my three homes since the one that had ADSL first installed into it as I've never had a connection over 2 meg (currently just over 1) so 30 meg will be something to behold!

Worth an extra £10 a month? You bet, just like the £40 a month for ADSL in the sunny summer of 2001.
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Tue 10-May-11 14:15:25
Print Post

Re: 10 years almost to the day

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

Almost snap, but I've been luckier with locations...

May 3rd, 2000 for a 2Mb link on the Demon trial.
May 2007 for 8Mb
May 10th 2011 (fingers crossed) for 40Mb link on Plusnet.
Standard User kasg
(committed) Wed 11-May-11 19:01:42
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Almost snap, but I've been luckier with locations...

May 3rd, 2000 for a 2Mb link on the Demon trial.
May 2007 for 8Mb
May 10th 2011 (fingers crossed) for 40Mb link on Plusnet.
How did it go? My Plusnet FTTC installation went very smoothly.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User woooshuk
(committed) Wed 11-May-11 21:09:19
Print Post

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Justo:
The excitement (and cost!) of getting internet speeds ............................................................ just like the £40 a month for ADSL in the sunny summer of 2001.

I remember it well. I took the day off work to wait on the green frog and the engineer. I was amazed by both the speed (512) and the always on aspect!

10 years later, I again took the day off to await the engineer and was just as excited about the leap in tech.

Now getting 38/8. what will be the next speeds when I take a day off awaiting the engineer?

How sad really!!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 11-May-11 21:49:09
Print Post

[re: woooshuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by woooshuk:
I remember it well. I took the day off work to wait on the green frog and the engineer. I was amazed by both the speed (512) and the always on aspect!

10 years later, I again took the day off to await the engineer and was just as excited about the leap in tech.

Now getting 38/8. what will be the next speeds when I take a day off awaiting the engineer?

How sad really!!
Next time it will be a brain surgeon, to do the implant. Amazing how versatile and adaptable Openreach engineers are.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Wed 11-May-11 23:44:22
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

I'm being hit by gremlins between BT Wholesale & Openreach...

The original order went smoothly, but with miles of lead time because of a holiday in the way. Unfortunately, I needed to change the install date - and with 10 days notice, you'd think they'd manage that, right?

Something went wrong with that, and the order got stuck between BTW and Openreach, and went uncancelled... and the engineer turned up anyway. Shame no one was available though...

It then took a week to get the order re-instated.

On installation day, Openreach were a no show. Afterwards, it turns out that the order got rejected again sometime after being accepted, and is now stuck on someone's system.

And idea what a "bridge case" is? 'Cos that's what we have now. The next attempt to order goes ahead tomorrow...
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 11-May-11 23:48:28
Print Post

And idea what a "bridge case" is?
It's where the trolls in BT's ordering department live wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Thu 12-May-11 00:14:12
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Oh no, no, no. It isn't my line you want to eat. There's a much fatter FTTP line over there in Milton Keynes. You'd much rather go and eat that line...
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 12-May-11 16:04:09
Print Post

Same here (first got ADSL in September/October of 2001), provided BT don't further delay our cab/exchange (currently it's been subject to multiple delays - so far it's back from Dec 2010 to Sept 30th 2011 - I'll believe that when/if I see it).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User kasg
(committed) Thu 12-May-11 17:59:36
Print Post

I'm being hit by gremlins between BT Wholesale & Openreach...

The original order went smoothly, but with miles of lead time because of a holiday in the way. Unfortunately, I needed to change the install date - and with 10 days notice, you'd think they'd manage that, right?

Something went wrong with that, and the order got stuck between BTW and Openreach, and went uncancelled... and the engineer turned up anyway. Shame no one was available though...

It then took a week to get the order re-instated.

On installation day, Openreach were a no show. Afterwards, it turns out that the order got rejected again sometime after being accepted, and is now stuck on someone's system.

And idea what a "bridge case" is? 'Cos that's what we have now. The next attempt to order goes ahead tomorrow...
Sorry to hear that - it sounds like it was changing the installation date that they couldn't cope with, fortunately I didn't have to.

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to