General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DarrenNI
(newbie) Wed 11-May-11 09:53:30
Print Post

Question re: modem and router location (Infinity)

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I got Infinity installed a month or so ago and am extremely happy with it. The only problem is that the engineer arrived when I was out and my wife was at home (doh!).

My master socket is in the hall, and the engineer informed me over the phone that it would be too difficult (or messy) to run the cable up to my study, so I'm now stuck with the modem, the HomeHub 3 and my NAS all in the hall (plus a SamKnows unit which I haven't connected yet, since I don't want it stuck in the hall as well!).

My question is, can I connect a Powerline networking plug to the modem in the hall, and connect the HomeHub to another in the study to get everything out of the hall except for the modem? Will this work, or does the HomeHub have to stay directly connected to the modem? Or is there any easier/cheaper way of doing this? (note: I don't want to start trying to drag a pile of CAT-5 up through my walls)

Thanks!
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-May-11 10:56:13
Print Post

Re: Question re: modem and router location (Infinity)

[re: DarrenNI] [link to this post]

I am currently using HomePlug units at home with FTTC and it works fine. I would suggest getting the 500Mbps rated units, though as the 200 Mbps units probably won't hit 40Mbps throughput.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 11-May-11 11:06:35
Print Post

As Spasch says - yes.

However in your situation I'd be tempted to do what you suggest, compare the speeds taken before and after the move, then an hour or so later assuming those speeds are fine I would try taking the modem upstairs if it is a nuisance in the hall.

I would expect it to work, though can't be sure, and there would be a high chance it would be lower performance than the other two solutions. But without trying you won't find out.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nelix01
(member) Wed 11-May-11 12:19:17
Print Post

I tried using a pair of 100Meg Homeplugs that I had but the throughput was around 10-12Meg on a connection of 38Meg.

If you are using a set, you will still need to have the Modem and Hub in the hall iirc and then the homeplugs connected via the Hub.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-May-11 12:36:49
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spasch:
I am currently using HomePlug units at home with FTTC and it works fine. I would suggest getting the 500Mbps rated units, though as the 200 Mbps units probably won't hit 40Mbps throughput.

I had a pair of Devolo 200Mbps AVs and they topped out at just under 30Mbps throughput. Do you use 500Mbps units? I now have an ethernet cable tucked down the edge of the carpet, much cheaper than the 500Mbps homeplugs .

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-May-11 12:44:50
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheHorseman:
I had a pair of Devolo 200Mbps AVs and they topped out at just under 30Mbps throughput. Do you use 500Mbps units? I now have an ethernet cable tucked down the edge of the carpet, much cheaper than the 500Mbps homeplugs .
I currently use the Devolo 200Mbps units but my FTTC tops out at 28Mbps, so they work fine for me. No carpet downstairs, so ethernet is not an option and we have 4 of these scattered around the house (next to modem & router, next to NAS in the living room, in the bedroom and in the loft). The loft unit services the PCs that live there, the bedroom & living room units are used to stream movies & music off the NAS (using WD TV Live units)..
Standard User DarrenNI
(newbie) Wed 11-May-11 12:49:14
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

Cheers folks,

Much appreciated. I'll give all of the various configurations a try until I see which works best.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 11-May-11 13:10:19
Print Post

Is there no way you can get a cat5e or cat6 cable from modem to study? Tucked into the edges of carpets &c. It will be the easiest and cheapest way.

If the study is on the first floor, it should be on a different power ring - that could be a problem. And even on the same floor, rooms can have separate power rings.

I experimented with my modem to hub and used a long cable - no issues at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User DarrenNI
(newbie) Wed 11-May-11 13:13:52
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Unfortunately not. The hall floor is marble, and the master socket is on the opposite side of the hall from the stairs which have carpet. The only option that way is to track up the wall and go under the upstairs floorboards into the study. Not ideal. If the master socket were even on a stud wall it would help, but the walls of the hall are brick. frown
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 11-May-11 13:27:11
Print Post

Is there skirting board in the hall? Can you get behind it? Or is there just a small corner bead at floor level? Get the cable to a corner and then vertically up at that point.

There is some very small quadrant trunking which could be useful.

If you go for two pair Cat5e it is smaller in diameter than 4 pair and will carry 100Mb which will be sufficient.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to