General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User homer79
(newbie) Mon 16-May-11 09:38:12
Print Post

FTTC Sub 15Mbs Connection

[link to this post]

Hi,

Hopefully next month my cabinet should be activated, my cable from the cabinet is roughly about 900M away. The broadband checker is predicting 14.4Mbs for my line.
The master socket is in the loft and really needs to be moved. I've piped it all in steel conduit with its own clean earth to screen the pipe, I've put some screened CAT6 cable ready and waiting. Hopefully the BT man shouldnt have any problems using CAT6, Its high quality than telephone cable anyway.
My brother who lives down the road has FTTC and hes syncing at 36Mbs ish, and is having awful trouble. I know hes got alu cable somewhere on his line tho. Are people on longer length lines having stablity problems at all??? I'd rather not move away from my stable ADSL connection i've got at the moment if that is the case.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 16-May-11 10:26:15
Print Post

Re: FTTC Sub 15Mbs Connection

[re: homer79] [link to this post]

You are, I believe, hoping that the BT Tech will connect your Cat6 to the drop wire in a box on the eaves and then install the master at the other end.

You may find that the answer is NO ... remember the network belongs to BT right up to the NTE (master) and BT will want to provide the cable.

How easy will it be to pull a new cable through the conduit? Because you may find it necessary.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 16-May-11 10:36:55
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The OP probably stands more chance if he hard-wires the CAT6 to the IDCs then tries to persuade the OR engineer that is as good or better than the Data Extension kit, and leave the master in the loft.

@homer - why do you think the master needs moving?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User worldofadsl
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-May-11 10:41:51
Print Post

You seem to have gone to a lot of un-needed trouble.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 16-May-11 13:07:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I did think of that too, with carefully notes of which wire he could then use 2 pairs for Ethernet and a further pair for 'phone extensions.

M H C

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-May-11 13:51:53
Print Post

If the OP's existing router is sited at the end of the cable he has run in, and the current NTE is in the loft, I feel sure most installing engineers would be only too happy to shift the NTE using the cable he has run in.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 16-May-11 13:58:15
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
If the OP's existing router is sited at the end of the cable he has run in, and the current NTE is in the loft, I feel sure most installing engineers would be only too happy to shift the NTE using the cable he has run in.

I agree, most would ... but there will always be a jobsworth!

M H C

Standard User homer79
(newbie) Mon 16-May-11 15:13:46
Print Post

Running a new cable in would be as easy as taping on a new wire and pulling. The reason I would like it shifted out of the loft is that its in a really hard place to get to. The last BT engineer was grumbling alot. Who likes a face full of fibreglass anyway.
The reason why its in metal conduit is so that it is protected in the wall, and its screened so hopefully no RFI.
How have people on longer FTTC lines faired? If its stable then I intend to get it next month.
Standard User andew
(regular) Mon 16-May-11 16:02:24
Print Post

My problem is sorted, ended up being a high resistance fault in the original cabinet.

Currently on 9 days and counting with no disconnects smile
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 16-May-11 16:28:00
Print Post

I know exactly why you are doing it! But wanted to make sure you were aware that the BT Tech could say NO - a good chance they won't but just be prepared if he says no, and if it is as easy as you suggest and the worst happens then you can quickly pull the new (BT supplied) cable through.

M H C

Print Thread

Jump to