General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User izools
(committed) Mon 16-May-11 11:28:52
Print Post

Finding out which cabs / anywhere FTTP?

[link to this post]

I'm on WWEXTR which as an RFS date of 01/06/11 (not holding my breath, was originally 30/09/10 and has been pushed back a few times since).

How do I find out which cabs are being enabled? I've not seen a single fibre cab anywhere in the city yet.

Also, how do I find out whether any premises / which ones will be given FTTP?

I currently live close to the exchange in new build flats. Because they are a new build they haven't been cabled for Virgin Media so I had to say bye to my 50 Meg cable and have 14 meg ADSL instead. Which is fine, I suppose.

AFAIK this block of flats doesn't connect to WWEXTR via a PCP. Does that mean no FTTC or does it mean the potential for FTTP?

How do I find out which parts of the city are getting what?

Delivered over 5GHz 802.11N via a Netgear DGND3300
Soon to be userped by BE Bonded lines laugh
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-May-11 12:34:46
Print Post

Re: Finding out which cabs / anywhere FTTP?

[re: izools] [link to this post]

FTTP is a rare beast indeed, and apart from trial areas, would seem to being rolled out on a few new build estates.

Why do you think your line is EO ? The easiest way for planners to provide service to new build flats/small developments, is to run in a new 100 or 50 pair, and either feed this right back to the nearest cab, or pick up spare capacity in a large cable nearby. I haven't seen anything new connected via EO in all my time.

Standard User bruce007
(regular) Mon 16-May-11 13:26:36
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

FTTP is MK has only been rolled out to about 30% of the users connected to the trial exchange, Bradwell Abbey (SMBA), and this has so far only been houses, NO new builds or multi-dwelling properties.

From the comments, this appeared to be related to issues with getting the fibre into the appartment/flat (access permission etc), so they skipped the new build areas and any flats in the enabled areas. It sounded like they were planning some futher trialling of FTTP (or FTTBuilding) in Jun/Jul. History shows we will know only after they start work.

The trial ISPs always say to use the BT ADSL line checker to see if you are able to get FTTP. But as FTTP is not a live product (even in MK), unless you line is FTTP enabled, you are going to struggle to get reliable availablity info. I am 200m from nearest known FTTP splitter, and not even sure if I will ever be able to get FTTP.

Bruce
Broughton Gate
get the news first at MK Broadband Action Group

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 16-May-11 14:02:13
Print Post

Do you mean a 14Mbps sync speed, or you get 14Mbps throughput on speed tests? There is a significant difference.

I would have though if it is 14Mbps sync then there is no way you are connected direct to the exchange, (opinion-requesting look at Zarjaz), unless you have serious wiring problems somewhere. If it is 14Mbps throughput, then what are the full line stats from your router, (see here for help), and IP Profile if a BT Wholesale connection?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User izools
(committed) Mon 16-May-11 14:14:13
Print Post

[re: bruce007] [link to this post]

OK, FTTP aside, how can I find out if / when my Cab will be done?

Like I say, I've not seen a single FTTC cab in the city and it's supposed to be go live on a fortnight.

If I put my postcode in it says no. If I put for exapmle my old postcode in says FTTC is available, but when I add the house number says it isn't. Same with my mother's address at the same exchange (postcode can get it, house number can't)...

...If anyone is able to check if I give my number by PM that'd be super awesome smile

EDIT: Roberto: My full line stats show a 28dB downstream loss 16dB upstream loss, in sync at 16.8M down and 1376K up, 3.0dB margins (Be - Fast Path). No doubt the line does go via a PCP I just can't see any in the vicinity. Only 400M from exchange ATCF so would be a helluva lot lower atten if the line went direct.

Am on the top floor of the block so no doubt the height adds a bit to the atten.

Really must update sig

Delivered over 5GHz 802.11N via a Netgear DGND3300
Soon to be userped by BE Bonded lines laugh

Edited by izools (Mon 16-May-11 14:19:26)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-May-11 14:51:33
Print Post

28db attenuation is the same as my line, pre FTTC. More likely around 1.6k.
You are joking about height adding to attenuation, right ? (smile).
What exactly is at 400m, can you gives us a link on Google streetview possibly ?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 16-May-11 15:52:01
Print Post

Phone number checkers are best. Have you tried this one? It should be definitive.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-May-11 18:54:23
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
28db attenuation is the same as my line, pre FTTC. More likely around 1.6k.

That tallies quite well with my line - 24db atten, 16/17mbps sync. Google mapping estimates the total distance to the exchange at 1010m - and the distance to my cabinet at 473m.

Maybe the OP's cabinet is hidden in a side road, or perhaps even underground???

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-May-11 19:00:44
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

As far as I know, cabinets are not usually underground. I know there's big 'un that serves lots of Heathrow airport that's in an underground room, and one in a small room in the underground service area of a shopping centre in Reading. These are the exception rather than the rule. I suspect your 'hidden' theory is closer the truth.

ISP Representative DaveTomlinson
(isp) Mon 16-May-11 19:47:16
Print Post

Hi,

I've got some availability data on FTTP in Exeter, the first cabs are due in July and last ones November. There are no exchange only lines (i.e. lines not connected to a cab) in the plan that I've got. So far only Highams Park has had any exchange only lines enabled. If you're certain your line isn't on a cab then unfortunately at the moment it looks like your line isn't going to get it.

Feel free to PM me your phone number and I'll see if I can find out for sure.

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Product Team
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to