General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Scoot
(regular) Fri 20-May-11 23:08:11
Print Post

Rear of Property Install

[link to this post]

Hi All,
I'm finally having FTTC installed next week, hopefully, however I have a few questions someone here might be able to answer.

Somehow I swindled a BT engineer to put my master socket in a spare bedroom at the rear of the property when my line was installed.

So the line goes over my garage in the garage attic and then through the wall in to my rear upstairs bedroom.

Do you think the OR engineer will also follow suit and do this for FTTC?

Also will this extended line to my room have any impact on my sync/connection speed?

It took some persuading to get the master socket in this room and the engineer last time called the office to ask if he should be taking the line over the garage in the attic and through a wall to do this.

I am also looking to purchase a separate route to the HomeHub 3. Can anyone recommend a decent one with good wireless?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Scoot (Fri 20-May-11 23:10:03)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-May-11 23:12:18
Print Post

Re: Rear of Property Install

[re: Scoot] [link to this post]

The engineer will install the FTTC modem at your existing master socket. The existing cable to that from outside will be used.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Scoot
(regular) Fri 20-May-11 23:15:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

ah, so he wont need to run a new cable over that route again then?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-May-11 00:07:30
Print Post

No, the only changes in your house will be a change to the master socket itself rather than any wiring.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 21-May-11 00:10:46
Print Post

Nope. He connects a fibre feed from the FTTC cabinet to your existing line in the old PCP cabinet, and fits a filtered faceplate to your Master. Should then test the connection and connect your modem, and on Infinity also your Home Hub.

There are other things like Data Extension cables possible, but your opening post implies the basic setup I just described is what you will want.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User burakkucat
(regular) Sat 21-May-11 00:19:55
Print Post

Just checking. Your back bedroom is the "computer room"?

In your initial post, you wrote --
I am also looking to purchase a separate route to the HomeHub 3. Can anyone recommend a decent one with good wireless?
(My added emphasis.)

Are you actually asking for recommendations as to which router to purchase, as a replacement for the BT supplied HH3?

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User Scoot
(regular) Sat 21-May-11 00:51:45
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orly:
No, the only changes in your house will be a change to the master socket itself rather than any wiring.

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Nope. He connects a fibre feed from the FTTC cabinet to your existing line in the old PCP cabinet, and fits a filtered faceplate to your Master. Should then test the connection and connect your modem, and on Infinity also your Home Hub.

There are other things like Data Extension cables possible, but your opening post implies the basic setup I just described is what you will want.

That's good to know, thanks for responding guys.

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
Just checking. Your back bedroom is the "computer room"?

In your initial post, you wrote --
(My added emphasis.)

Are you actually asking for recommendations as to which router to purchase, as a replacement for the BT supplied HH3?

Yes room is the computer room.

And yes looking for a better Router to the HH3, emphasise on good WiFi signal for laptops and PC's throughout the house. Hoping to find something that has Access Control like the HH2 to stop kids going on throughout the night.

I don't know what the HH3 is like but BT limit so much in the HH2, simple things like changing the DNS servers, or when you change the IP ranges it performs all sorts of tricks and messes up. Always had Netgear's before but heard some good things about Buffalo's is it?

Thanks for responding all.
Standard User burakkucat
(regular) Sat 21-May-11 02:41:58
Print Post

And yes looking for a better Router to the HH3, emphasise on good WiFi signal for laptops and PC's throughout the house. Hoping to find something that has Access Control like the HH2 to stop kids going on throughout the night.

I don't know what the HH3 is like but BT limit so much in the HH2, simple things like changing the DNS servers, or when you change the IP ranges it performs all sorts of tricks and messes up. Always had Netgear's before but heard some good things about Buffalo's is it?
Thanks for clarifying. The HH3 is a bit restrictive (just like any of the BT HHs). I've had a look at my neighbour's set-up -- he has recently gone FTTC with BT (i.e. Inifinity).

If you do a search here, in the TBB fora, you should find that there are a couple of routers that "those who know" will recommend. From what I recall, the Buffalo is one of those recommended. It'll be best to wait for others to comment . . .

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 21-May-11 08:40:54
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

I have a Buffalo NFiniti WHR-300Nv2. Fine for me, wired and wireless. Just read through the Amazon reviews, some say the wireless is great, others that it is rubbish. Hey-ho frown.

At under £30 and can be sent back I think it is a no-brainer.

Standard User Scoot
(regular) Sun 22-May-11 20:19:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Does this router have any Access Control options RobertoS?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to