General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User johnhol
(newbie) Tue 24-May-11 08:33:08
Print Post

Stages for CAB install

[link to this post]

Does anyone know the stages for a Fibre cab install..

Had a white van on my estate Friday and Monday and something being done to the old cabinet.

Do they need to do anything to the cabinet? Also it was a plan White van and not openreach - are they contratcing this out now?
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 24-May-11 08:50:14
Print Post

Re: Stages for CAB install

[re: johnhol] [link to this post]

In N.Ireland they use a company called KN Networks to do the install.

When mine was getting installed last week, they came to the cabinet a day before and had a look around and sprayed ojn the ground a reactable were the cabinet was going, then the next they came and the cabinet popped up. Still the cabinet is cordoned off so they are still working on it, probably on the inside.

Sky Broadband
Unlimited
Standard User Justo
(newbie) Tue 24-May-11 09:02:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by johnhol:
Does anyone know the stages for a Fibre cab install..

Had a white van on my estate Friday and Monday and something being done to the old cabinet.

Do they need to do anything to the cabinet? Also it was a plan White van and not openreach - are they contratcing this out now?

A lot of the ground work in England at least is being done by Telent. I would have thought that the cab work would have been OR still, but perhaps they were just looking at the postitioning etc as mentioned.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Tue 24-May-11 09:45:03
Print Post

http://www.carilliontelent.com/
Standard User johnhol
(newbie) Tue 24-May-11 10:14:37
Print Post

[re: Brunel] [link to this post]

This hopefully means some movement on a Fibre cab - supposed to have it ready by 30th June smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 24-May-11 10:22:10
Print Post

The FTTC cabinet is installed close by, then copper cabling laid between the two cabinets. A number of connections are then made in the FTTC cabinet ready for use in the PCP cab.

They were presumably just sorting out the PCP ready to receive/terminate that new cabling.

When someone gets connected to FTTC they jumper-connect a pair from the FTTC one to the existing copper to the premises.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Ribble
(member) Tue 24-May-11 10:22:42
Print Post

A link cable has to be provided between the old and new cabinets, and that has to be terminated in both cabinets onto connection strips which have to be installed inside. This may require moving some of the existing connections within the cabinet to make room or replaicng the cab shell with a larger one.
Alternatively they could just be thieves scouting for cable.
Standard User johnhol
(newbie) Tue 24-May-11 10:26:45
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
A link cable has to be provided between the old and new cabinets, and that has to be terminated in both cabinets onto connection strips which have to be installed inside. This may require moving some of the existing connections within the cabinet to make room or replaicng the cab shell with a larger one.
Alternatively they could just be thieves scouting for cable.

Hope not.....been waiting for this for too long already
Standard User tonym
(member) Tue 24-May-11 11:52:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Mine has just had the electric power cables laid to the new cabinet, with an estimated service date of 30th Sept. With the power just gone in , is this date likely to be brought forward

tonym
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-May-11 12:18:02
Print Post

May well have just been a contractor doing a 'normal' fault. The cabinet is a common starting point for faults issued as 'LN' (local network) battery, earth and dis faults where the line looks to be faulty well before the premises.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to