General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bobby_Valentino
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-May-11 15:55:30
Print Post

FTTC Question

[link to this post]

Hi

On the BTWhoesale checker website it says my cab is due to be FTTC enabled in september, but thats for my cab, is there a place to check to see when the exchange is due to be enabled/is enabled?

TIA

Edited by Bobby_Valentino (Thu 26-May-11 15:59:35)

Standard User ggremlin
(member) Thu 26-May-11 16:14:54
Print Post

Re: FTTC Question

[re: Bobby_Valentino] [link to this post]

samknows
Standard User cjbell68
(regular) Thu 26-May-11 17:06:06
Print Post

When I check my exchange on Sam Knows it says September 2011, however the coming soon PDF on the Openreach site states June 2011 which is the same as the checker currently shows for my cab.

http://www.openreach-communications.co.uk/superfast/...

(edit) Note - the properties of the coming soon PDF indicate it's not been updated since April, however SamKnows has been showing September 2011 ever since our exchange was announced in the rollout.

Colin

plusnet

Edited by cjbell68 (Thu 26-May-11 17:08:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-May-11 19:11:32
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ggremlin:
samknows

Samknows is often wrong (due to infrequent updates or a total lack of updated information).
Samknows says 1st June for our exchange (quite an old date) whilst the BT document (linked in the other reply to the OP) states Sept 2011 - the same as the BT Wholesale checker.
Given June 1st is next Wednesday and there's zero evidence of any cabinet I've seen in town having been upgraded (no shiny new neighbouring fibre cabs around) I'd tend to believe the BT dates as opposed to the Samknows dates.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Thu 26-May-11 23:29:47
Print Post

Another snippet that might help... It has been said that BT will put an exchange live when there are at least 10 cabinets ready to go live.

Obviously the exchange can go nowhere if it isn't ready itself.

For us, the exchange seemed to go live before *any* cabinets - many of which came along 4 weeks later. Some were faulty, and needed another 3 months, and some were still being installed in the 2 or 3 months after the go-live date.

And, importantly, I haven't yet seen a date given by the DSL checker that shows a cabinet date where the exchange *isn't* ready.
Standard User cjbell68
(regular) Fri 27-May-11 12:13:25
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Interesting about the 10 cabs.
This week I can see BT in the process of installing five cabinets which also checks out with the data available on Elgin.gov.uk regarding current roadworks.

Our village forum has a list of the cabinets BT will enable for our exchange. There are only eight of these (serving 3 villages) - but these tally with the cabinets in the CSV file "PCP to Postcode Report 13042011" that BT so kindly made available a few weeks back smile

There may be one or two more cabinets already in build in the main neighbouring village - but this would suggest that either BT will enable our exchange with 5-8 cabinets live - or that whilst the checker says 30th June for my cabinet - I can expect the date to slip soon frown

Colin

plusnet
  Print Thread

Jump to