General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User carl9199
(newbie) Fri 27-May-11 19:42:02
Print Post

UTV Business FTTC

[link to this post]

Hi, I am with virgin Media on the 50Mb broadband at the moment. I am thinking of moving to UTV Business FTTC broadband (http://www.utvinternet.com/broadband/fibre.aspx). I use arround 60 gig a mouth of data (I Think) at the moment.

the reason I am considering leaving virgin is that the Watford area is heavily congested and I feel speeds drop to an unacceptable level during the evenings and weekends.I have also had to speak with technical support which is mainly based in India on three separate occasions. This is fine for basic enquiries, anything that deviates away from the script they are unable to help with.

UTV claim to have unlimited usage and 24/7 UK-based technical support within the business products. I am concerned that they are so much cheaper than any other seller for an unlimited product. I have also been unable to find any useful reviews of their service.

It would be greatly appreciated for advice on whether it is worth the risk of taking a 24 month contract with UTV. Or whether I would be better off going with a different provider.

Thank you for your help in advance.
Carl
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 27-May-11 20:48:14
Print Post

Re: UTV Business FTTC

[re: carl9199] [link to this post]

A 24 month contract is something I would personally steer clear of. Regardless of whether it may be ok at present, 2 years is a long time to be tied in to anything, so think carefully and good luck smile

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-May-11 22:04:39
Print Post

Isn't it (Northern?) Ireland only?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-May-11 22:15:06
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
A 24 month contract is something I would personally steer clear of. Regardless of whether it may be ok at present, 2 years is a long time to be tied in to anything, so think carefully and good luck smile
I think I would steer clear of a company that said the following, even if it was available on the UK mainland.
FREE VDSL WAN wireless router worth £45.99
The Wireless modem is a Zyxel NBG417N and you must have an Ethernet port on your PC, Laptop or MAC for it to work if you are not utilizing the wireless capability.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User carl9199
(newbie) Fri 27-May-11 22:17:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No

I have spoken to a business manager who offered me a service.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-May-11 22:17:52
Print Post

See my list of mainland providers, and the link on that page to a spreadsheet by orly and yarwell comparing basic details.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-May-11 22:22:21
Print Post

Strange, click their rollout map. What the difference is between pale and dark blue I don't know, other than N v S geography, but otherwise there is zero information on it.

Though as they are (I presume) a BT Wholesale ISP I expect there is no reason they can't supply on the mainland. I wonder why they don't show that on the map?

Standard User carl9199
(newbie) Fri 27-May-11 22:48:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I don't no why they don't show main land UK on the map. Do you not think this is a provider I should consider. The main concern is the 24 mouth contract. I like the sound of the package they have on offer. It seems almost to good to be true.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-May-11 23:02:09
Print Post

I'm a bit tired so didn't look in too much depth at the rather low pricing, and off to bed now. The Residential and Business pricing looked very similar, but I could have been bleary-eyed.

Have a look at the spreadsheet I mentioned in an earlier post. There is no way anyone can undercut BT Infinity at the moment, so if they are doing something odd is going on.

As I pointed out to ADSL24, their blurb about the cable router they supply is disturbing. It is not a VDSL router, isn't a VDSL modem, and doesn't contain a VDSL modem. Google it.

There will be an Openreach VDSL modem connected to an OR filtered faceplate just like all other installations. The Zygel is possibly perfectly OK for the router job, but the fact they talk garbage about it doesn't bode well in my book for ongoing support.

Print Thread

Jump to