General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Jun-11 10:55:05
Print Post

So....Decisions

[link to this post]

Hard to keep up with this forum and the ISPs offering fibre and the performance and prices... Currently on 20meg sky unlimited, getting the full 20meg download, paying all together something like £13 for line rental £5 for calls and £7.50 for broadband....

Really tempted to Infinity and the checker has just changed today to see its available:

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 36Mbps and upstream line speed of 7.8Mbps.

Would BT be the best for unlimited usage? Works out at over £40 a month tho doesn't it? Compared to £25.50 for Sky

Sky Broadband
Unlimited

Edited by BuckleZ (Wed 01-Jun-11 10:55:21)

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Jun-11 11:05:47
Print Post

Re: So....Decisions

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

Need to say to, my usage over the past months, would probably be under 50GB, but i dont like knowing i have a limit

Sky Broadband
Unlimited
Standard User asturini
(newbie) Wed 01-Jun-11 11:32:24
Print Post

BT have removed their limits on their Infinity Option 2 product in April. They do apply traffic management to p2p applications.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mikecrawford80
(regular) Wed 01-Jun-11 12:12:47
Print Post

Worth having a look at the Google spreadsheet that some of the guys have knocked, sorry, dont have the link to it at hand just now.

I personally went with Plusnet because they had no install fee if you take the phone package with them. At least their site is worth a look.

Plusnet Value Fibre
May 2011 Spedtest ...
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Jun-11 13:18:41
Print Post

[re: asturini] [link to this post]

The main thing i am trying to justify is the price increase, i'll get double the download speed and 10x the upload, aswell as the pings being almost 20ms less.

But in saying that, the service i have had from Sky is had been top notch!, no slow downloads at any time and no p2p throttling

Sky Broadband
Unlimited
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Jun-11 13:51:30
Print Post

Surely Sky can't be far from an announcement?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Jun-11 14:13:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There has been noting said from them in a long time, could spose just keep my fingers crossed for them

Sky Broadband
Unlimited
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Jun-11 17:27:45
Print Post

How much do you pay for Sky TV though.

observation: don't watch nearly as much TV now that we have FTTC.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?
Standard User weirdo
(newbie) Thu 02-Jun-11 22:28:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 36Mbps and upstream line speed of 7.8Mbps.

Would BT be the best for unlimited usage? Works out at over £40 a month tho doesn't it? Compared to £25.50 for Sky

So effectively you'll be paying £1 per 1Mbps increase in d/l speed tongue

I believe most, if not all, of the current FTTC offerings have traffic shaping and/or capped usage.

Yes, Infinity is unlimited and is a good choice as long as you're not a heavy torrent user. I've read that torrents are throttled right down to 20K/sec during peak hours, but it goes to full speed when off peak (though some have said it's slow 24/7).

At least with Sky it's fully unlimited with no traffic management? Plus the main thing is that you are happy with them.

You'll be stuck for 18 months with BT/Talk Talk/Plusnet, though their monthly charge is cheaper than the guys that offer 12 month contracts.

I have ordered Infinity myself and install will be next Friday. My current speed is 4.5Mb with o2, and should get 35Mb after Friday - plus it works out to just over £5 more per month (BT's current offer of 3 months free, and I get £50 back with Topcashback).

If I was in your position, I'd stick with Sky. It's cheap, truly unlimited, you know what you're getting. Maybe you could wait to see what kind of deal Sky would offer when they do FTTC.
Standard User Squirrel
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Jun-11 22:54:16
Print Post

[re: weirdo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by weirdo:
and I get £50 back with Topcashback

I recommend not holding your breath for that £50. My son ordered his broadband way back in January, activated early February. He is still waiting for his £110 + 1% TopCashBack cashback

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to