General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 22gwr
(newbie) Wed 01-Jun-11 15:41:22
Print Post

FTTC yes or no - exchange or cabinet problem?

[link to this post]

Okay we've had the vans in swarms over the last few weeks buzzing around the shiny new cabinets that have popped up around town and our estate.
Samknows says NDEGR should have FTTC 1/6/11, BT Infinity checker currently says not scheduled for >6 months - from previous run-ins with BT I shouldn't be surprised. Expect to go with Zen once we can place an order.

So to the questions - where do you find the true situation and how do I check that we are indeed going to be on one of these news cabs?

TIA
Tony
Standard User kasg
(committed) Wed 01-Jun-11 15:45:17
Print Post

Re: FTTC yes or no - exchange or cabinet problem?

[re: 22gwr] [link to this post]

The only way I know of to find the "true" situation is to enter your phone number here, which may well be what you have already done:

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User Justo
(newbie) Wed 01-Jun-11 16:16:08
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Check out the other thread with the download of a spreadsheet of cabs - if you put your postcode into it and the cab shown serves your postcode 100% then just go and look at that cab to see if there's a shiny sister cab near it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 22gwr
(newbie) Wed 01-Jun-11 17:07:30
Print Post

[re: Justo] [link to this post]

Thanks gents - wholesale checker says no, off to check spreadsheet
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Thu 02-Jun-11 01:48:33
Print Post

It is entirely plausible that your exchange will get enabled soon, with some other cabinets. But your cabinet is either unplanned, ot a lot further down the line.

That spreadsheet showed a couple of cabinets here being 2 phases behind the rest of the area...
Standard User 22gwr
(newbie) Thu 02-Jun-11 22:47:49
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

The spreadsheet shows our post code as phase 5b lines @ 100% and deployed - so any pointers on which OR database is the "real" one and which webchecking tool uses it?

TIA
Tony
Standard User Justo
(newbie) Fri 03-Jun-11 09:17:38
Print Post

5b should all be up and running now, so it could be an error with the checker - the wholesale one should show the current details other ISPs will also see if your currently on a BT line.

What was the cabinet number shown for your post code and have you physically located it for;

a - a new cab
b - humming or other 'live' activity looking likely
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Sun 05-Jun-11 02:44:34
Print Post

How can you tell it is deployed from that spreadsheet?

IIRC, the "Deployed" column being "Yes" means that the postcode is included in a scheme - and NOT that the cabinet has actually been deployed yet.

There is a different spreadsheet that shows which exchange/cabinets have reached RFS.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 06-Jun-11 01:08:01
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
How can you tell it is deployed from that spreadsheet?

IIRC, the "Deployed" column being "Yes" means that the postcode is included in a scheme - and NOT that the cabinet has actually been deployed yet.
As you say smile. It says so in the headings of the spreadsheet.

Yet another case of BT mis-using the language, though in this case they have given their redefinition of the relevant word. That is quite unusual.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User 22gwr
(newbie) Fri 26-Aug-11 12:03:27
Print Post

Well despite having registered to be advised when Infinity was available on our exchange (East Grinstead / NDEGR) still no news from BT, no surprise I suppose.

It's here, ahead of the last revised date (March->June->September) and we have an order placed and an installation booked, roll on 8/9/11.

Estimated speeds are 32.5/7.5 and we've opted to go with Zen (we resell them) and will report back on how things go and what we actually end up with speed wise.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to