General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 01-Jun-11 18:31:53
Print Post

Will me estimated speed increase when fibre is installed?

[link to this post]

I'm currently get an estimated connection speed of 8mbps from BT. I'm with Sky BB ATM and am connecting at 11M up and 0.8M down. Is my estimated connection speed from BT likely to increase if/ when my cabinet gets fiber enabled? I heard you need an estimated speed of 15M for BT infinity, is this still true?
Standard User D_an_W
(committed) Wed 01-Jun-11 20:09:46
Print Post

Re: Will me estimated speed increase when fibre is installed

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

AFAIK yes it is for Infinity but they do offer another fibre product and don't call it that to keep Infinity average speeds up.

Other ISPs can and do offer fibre to people with lower estimated top speeds, maybe worth a look?

EDIT: Forgot to say, I'm 600m away (estimated) and get the full speed connection.

Edited by D_an_W (Wed 01-Jun-11 20:27:47)

Standard User kasg
(committed) Wed 01-Jun-11 20:26:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I'm currently get an estimated connection speed of 8mbps from BT. I'm with Sky BB ATM and am connecting at 11M up and 0.8M down. Is my estimated connection speed from BT likely to increase if/ when my cabinet gets fiber enabled? I heard you need an estimated speed of 15M for BT infinity, is this still true?
How far away is the cabinet? That is what determines the speed you will get. Mine's about 400m away and I get the maximum speed currently available (40Mb/s, less overheads).

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Jun-11 22:09:30
Print Post

[re: D_an_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by D_an_W:
EDIT: Forgot to say, I'm 600m away (estimated) and get the full speed connection.
Your current speed is completely irrelevant as far as FTTC is concerned. All that matters is how far away your cabinet is. If that's the 600m you refer to then expect speeds in excess of 30Mb/s.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User D_an_W
(committed) Wed 01-Jun-11 22:12:53
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I am already on FTTC (600m and download at full speed), are you sure you meant to reply to me and not the OP?

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Jun-11 22:16:00
Print Post

[re: D_an_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by D_an_W:
I am already on FTTC (600m and download at full speed), are you sure you meant to reply to me and not the OP?
Oh yeah, slip of the mouse. It's been a long day smile

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 01-Jun-11 22:18:36
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
How far away is the cabinet? That is what determines the speed you will get. Mine's about 400m away and I get the maximum speed currently available (40Mb/s, less overheads).

I don't know exactly what cabinet I connect to, I was never told. I have a strong suspicion I'm connected to a cabinet a short distance down the main road from my estate. I used Google earth to estimate the distance following the road and I got 553m.
Standard User burakkucat
(member) Wed 01-Jun-11 23:29:18
Print Post

I don't know exactly what cabinet I connect to, I was never told. I have a strong suspicion I'm connected to a cabinet a short distance down the main road from my estate. I used Google earth to estimate the distance following the road and I got 553m.
There was a document available which, if you searched it for your post code, would show exactly to which cabinet your line is connected. Although it has been deleted by which ever division of BT that initially made it public, many of us (including myself) have downloaded a copy. A copy is also available as a Google doc -- but I currently do not recall the URL.

So, if you would like to know which cabinet will serve you for a FTTC product, either quote your post code (if it is not unique to yourself then there is no great security implication) or wait for someone to post the URL for the above Google doc and then look up the information, yourself.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 02-Jun-11 11:10:43
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
There was a document available which, if you searched it for your post code, would show exactly to which cabinet your line is connected. Although it has been deleted by which ever division of BT that initially made it public, many of us (including myself) have downloaded a copy. A copy is also available as a Google doc -- but I currently do not recall the URL.

So, if you would like to know which cabinet will serve you for a FTTC product, either quote your post code (if it is not unique to yourself then there is no great security implication) or wait for someone to post the URL for the above Google doc and then look up the information, yourself.

Wasn't aware of that. Not comfortable giving out my post code as a friend do a Google search for it, come across this thread and find out I've been exaggerating my speed. Thanks for telling me about it tho.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 02-Jun-11 12:00:20
Print Post

This is the cabinet I suspect I'm connected to:
http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/8931/unledyx.jpg

Is that a BT cabinet? If it is, is it the sort they can upgrade to fiber?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to