General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Sun 05-Jun-11 03:16:09
Print Post

Packet Loss on FTTC

[link to this post]

Hi all,

My FTTC connection finally went in - after a botched order system with BTW/BTO held things up for 2 months. Even then they mucked up by cancelling the existing ADSL connection, leaving us without anything. Serious escalation from Plusnet got the FTTC install 2 days later...

However, all is not quite right at the moment - in particular my TBB BQM, which shows about 5% packet loss all day long.

Does anyone else have a graph like this? Or do FTTC graphs usually show more usual behaviour with no loss at all?

I was synced with an IP profile of 38717 yesterday (I can't check right now), but my speedtest.net results have been in the region of 33-34.5Mbps, which seems a little low. Don't people get nearer 36-37Mbps with that kind of IP profile?
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Sun 05-Jun-11 10:09:05
Print Post

Re: Packet Loss on FTTC

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Peculiar...

..as a starter for 10, try getting a totally different ethernet cable and going from the openreach modem directly to a computer (turn the firewall on first mind you). See if the problems persist - that would assist in identifying whether anything in your home is at fault, or if it's further up the line.

I'd imagine your slightly slower speed measurements are going hand-in-hand with the packet loss.

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 05-Jun-11 10:35:00
Print Post

That continuous packet loss definitely isn't normal- there's a link to my live BQM in my sig for comparison. It probably accounts for your lowered speed, I get in the high 36's for a profile of 38282Mbps (with interleave on).

You've got those periodic spike in pings at about 2-hour intervals too... unlikely to be anything to worry about, but some users get these periodic spikes for no good reason we've been able to discover crazy

Another oddity is that black period at ~1pm, I can't see how that can happen. Either a ping is successful and recorded or it isn't and it shows up as a lost packet in red. The only time I've ever seen black was a bug in tbb's pingbox when I was running an IPv6 BQM over a 6to4 tunnel, and then the whole thing was black! Don't understand it...

eta- as Blueacid suggests, try to rule out local causes first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed

Edited by billford (Sun 05-Jun-11 10:52:54)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(member) Sun 05-Jun-11 11:54:09
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

I suspect you are right over the relation between speed loss & packet loss.

I tried setting up an outbound ping - to the first location in a traceroute (which would be the Plusnet end to a BT central, or whatever they are called now) - and got 4% packet loss over 15 minutes. That suggests the problem lies between the two, so I'll be testing various components in the link.
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Sun 05-Jun-11 12:02:33
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I reached the conclusion that the black hole could only be the Firebrick, rather than my end, so I've been ignoring that part. And I hadn't even noticed the regular spikes in the max-latency figures. I'll watch for those, but not be too worried just yet wink

Thanks for the link to your BQM - Some packet loss seems inevitable - especially if there's a spot where the ISP lets P2P traffic loose (such as Midnight).

I'll work on the local causes first - I just wanted to be sure I wasn't trying to fix something that *everyone* sufered from! So it is good to know that there is something worth chasing here...

I'm also suffering from relatively slow download speeds from everything that is NOT a speedtester. That's on the list to do later too - but is the TBB "downloads" page capable of sustaining FTTC speeds for those files (at the smaller end of the scale, anyway)?
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 05-Jun-11 12:25:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I reached the conclusion that the black hole could only be the Firebrick, rather than my end, so I've been ignoring that part.
I checked on my BQM for that day and there was no black hole, so it may not be the Firebrick. Not worth worrying about unless it gets to be a regular occurrence, in which case a post in TTTS would be indicated!
is the TBB "downloads" page capable of sustaining FTTC speeds for those files (at the smaller end of the scale, anyway)?
It's certainly capable of it, even the big files, I've downloaded them (and others, eg >1GB movies from iTunes) at a steady ~4.5MB/sec, but you need a modicum of luck. FTTC seems much more sensitive to congestion, I've seen my speeds drop by 40-50% at times of day when ADSL2+ would only have dropped by ~10%.

And of course, it doesn't take many people hitting a popular server with high-speed connections to cause problems there, regardless of any congestion along the route.

But it's still a lot faster so I'm not really complaining smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Sun 05-Jun-11 12:44:01
Print Post

LOL...

I was wondering why the DLM hadn't cut in to change speed and/or add interleaving.

After posting my previous replies, I thought I'd check on the latest graph, and found that DLM has done exactly that!

Sunday's BQM - with a step change at 9:30 AM, which I think comes exactly 48 hours after the first installation.

BT's speedtester is working today, and gave a 32/1.5 result with a 38717 profile still. Speedtest.net is still in the region of 34/1.7

Edit: Adding this test image too:
My Broadband Speed Test

So it looks like an addition of interleaving, but no reduction in speed. However, we don't seem to have changed much in the net download speeds...

Edited by WWWombat (Sun 05-Jun-11 12:57:27)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 05-Jun-11 12:46:35
Print Post

The ways of DLM are mysterious indeed... it's not in my list of favourite software frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(experienced) Sun 05-Jun-11 14:04:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
The ways of DLM are mysterious indeed... it's not in my list of favourite software frown

Indeed. I'd like to see an online web-portal that allows users to manually set their target SNR and interleaving options - auto settings for the majority but with the option to tweak them if you like and if you get into trouble a reset to put them all back to normal - but that makes too much sense I suppose.
Standard User kasg
(committed) Sun 05-Jun-11 15:31:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I was synced with an IP profile of 38717 yesterday (I can't check right now), but my speedtest.net results have been in the region of 33-34.5Mbps, which seems a little low. Don't people get nearer 36-37Mbps with that kind of IP profile?

It varies for me, sometimes 33-35ish, sometimes 36-37ish, mind you I just got this, which is clearly overstating it a bit!

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to