General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 06-Jun-11 11:48:59
Print Post

When Installing BT Infinity....

[link to this post]

What does the engineer need?

I'm due to get it installed tomorrow but wont be at home, so will have someone round to let the guy in.

I have the hub which has been posted to me and the person knows where my master phone socket is.

Is there anything else they need?
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(experienced) Mon 06-Jun-11 11:56:42
Print Post

Re: When Installing BT Infinity....

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The engineer will require a cup of tea/coffee and as many biscuits as he can eat.

However should you offer a box of chocolates he will have to call his line manager for permission to accept as this could be construed as payment which is not required as good service is included in the service he already offers in his B2 pay grade.
Standard User furman
(experienced) Mon 06-Jun-11 12:01:30
Print Post

[re: FRS_Plunderer] [link to this post]

Very funny smile
Actually the engineer who visited me refused tea and biccies - I was shocked!

2 power sockets, one for hub and one for modem. I had my laptop handy to test speeds and he kindly showed me how to access the home hub admin via it's IP add and tested network speed - he was pretty keen to show me this stuff even though I told him not to bother.

---------------------------------------------------------
Be 16mb (actual 9mb):
My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User weirdo
(newbie) Mon 06-Jun-11 12:34:04
Print Post

I'm in a similar situation. Installation is this Friday between 1pm - 6pm, but I will be at work until 3pm. Wife will be in though, yet I'd rather be there myself as I want something doing in particular.

One question, if I may:

My master socket is in the hallway downstairs, but would like the modem/router to be located in the living room upstairs (where there is a slave phone socket). Do any of you know whether this slave can be changed to a master socket? We are in a new build house, if that makes any difference.

(I don't want the data extension as do not fancy a CAT5e cable all the way upstairs).
Standard User G3UZF
(member) Mon 06-Jun-11 14:04:29
Print Post

If the Engineer is not to locate the Modem and Hub at the Master Socket, he will need to know where to run a cable from the socket to the final destination. They have cable up to 30-metres. Looks like a slightly thicker phone extension cable.

I believe they will not relocate the Master Socket, they just replace the old one with the Infinity one (at least, that's what they did for me).

As someone else said, they need 2 power sockets, one for the modem and one for the hub.

The 2 Engineeers took about 2-hours to do the installation and made a jolly good job of it.

They will phone about an hour before visiting to advise there will be an outage in the phone and existing broadband connection whilst they move the cables etc to the FTTC.

Enjoy!

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User G3UZF
(member) Mon 06-Jun-11 14:10:04
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

More...

You might like to know you can access the Hubs diagnostics etc at http://192.168.1.254/

They probably won't tell you that.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(experienced) Mon 06-Jun-11 14:49:10
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

Just to add,

The homehubs address isn't considered a secret by anyone at BT.

The 'ring ahead' isn't strictly speaking an hour ahead, it's anytime after the engineer receives the job on his terminal and has had a chance to review it and estimate an arrival time, example - could be 2mins if he's only working locally... assuming you get a call.

Edited by FRS_Plunderer (Mon 06-Jun-11 14:51:04)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Jun-11 18:33:29
Print Post

[re: weirdo] [link to this post]

I'm sure they will be happy to shift it, especially if you are not using the existing master downstairs.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 06-Jun-11 20:22:28
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

New build frown.

I wonder what the existing extension cabling is?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to