General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Yerman164
(learned) Wed 08-Jun-11 14:17:41
Print Post

BT Infinity DLM

[link to this post]

I'm on BT Infinity and I've just bought a new router the, Apple Airport Extreme. Every time you change a setting on the Airport it resets itself, so when I've been setting it up it's reset 4 or 5 times which has caused my IP profile to lower and my ping to double.

My IP profile is now 36946 instead of the max it was before and my ping is now 20ms instead of 10ms.

I thought so long as the modem was synced resetting the router shouldn't affect anything, but it seems to have done.

Does the DLM automatically change the IP profile and ping back to what it was before if I don't reset the router for awhile or do I need to contact BT to get it back to how it was? Cheers.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 08-Jun-11 14:23:56
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity DLM

[re: Yerman164] [link to this post]

From what others have reported it will reset to the normal state quite quickly, as long as you stop causing the disconnections.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 08-Jun-11 14:33:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by Yerman164:
I thought so long as the modem was synced resetting the router shouldn't affect anything, but it seems to have done.
That's certainly how it should happen, and I've never had a router reboot affect the profile either with the Airport Extreme or my current Billion router... sure it's not just a coincidence?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Jun-11 14:37:24
Print Post

A router reboot (as opposed to rebooting the Openreach modem) should not cause a resync of the VDSL2 on the phone line.

At worst a router reboot should just cause a PPPoE renegotiation.

If the reset of the airport is causing the modem to show it is resyncing then I would recommend moving the PSU and Airport further away from the modem, as its just an ethernet connection to the two boxes can be up to 100m of CAT5e cable apart.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Yerman164
(learned) Wed 08-Jun-11 14:54:39
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
That's certainly how it should happen, and I've never had a router reboot affect the profile either with the Airport Extreme or my current Billion router... sure it's not just a coincidence?

I did restart the Airport 4-5 times quite close together though, because it fully restarts even if you just change the wireless channel, so maybe that's what caused it?

I doubt it's a coincidence, I've had the max profile and 10ms ping for 2 months since the install and as soon as I've restarted the router 4-5 times it's changed.

I'll keep an eye on it and see if it automatically changes back to how it was. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Standard User Yerman164
(learned) Wed 08-Jun-11 14:58:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
A router reboot (as opposed to rebooting the Openreach modem) should not cause a resync of the VDSL2 on the phone line.

At worst a router reboot should just cause a PPPoE renegotiation.

If the reset of the airport is causing the modem to show it is resyncing then I would recommend moving the PSU and Airport further away from the modem, as its just an ethernet connection to the two boxes can be up to 100m of CAT5e cable apart.

I'm not sure if resetting the airport was causing the modem to resync, I daren't do anything now for awhile to test it incase it makes things worse.
Standard User Yerman164
(learned) Wed 15-Jun-11 14:31:51
Print Post

It's taken a week, but my connection has finally reset itself to the max profile and low pings like it was before. I've not had to contact BT, I've just made sure not to restart the modem/router at all.

http://speedtest.aquiss.net/result/34471
Standard User Yerman164
(learned) Mon 20-Jun-11 14:30:12
Print Post

My IP profile has dropped massively today for some reason. It's now 25859. I haven't rebooted the router at all, so it's not me that's caused it.

What on earth is going on? I had a totally stable max IP profile for 2 months, and then soon after changing the HH3 to an Airport Extreme the IP profile has lowered, slightly at first and then massively today. Is this just a coincidence, because surely the router can't affect the IP profile if it's not being rebooted.

Could it be the BT modem beginning to fail? I've read there's a lot of problems with them.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Jun-11 15:11:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Yerman164:
What on earth is going on? I had a totally stable max IP profile for 2 months, and then soon after changing the HH3 to an Airport Extreme the IP profile has lowered, slightly at first and then massively today. Is this just a coincidence, because surely the router can't affect the IP profile if it's not being rebooted.

Could it be the BT modem beginning to fail? I've read there's a lot of problems with them.

I too use an Airport Extreme (the BT engineers set up the HH3 and as soon as they left I swapped it out for the AE). I have not found that the reboots of the AE affect my profile, as I would expect since it does not drop sync on the modem.

It is possible that the modem is starting to fail, is it very hot? Mine sits on the top of a bookcase and does not get too hot.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Standard User Yerman164
(learned) Mon 20-Jun-11 15:51:22
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheHorseman:
I too use an Airport Extreme (the BT engineers set up the HH3 and as soon as they left I swapped it out for the AE). I have not found that the reboots of the AE affect my profile, as I would expect since it does not drop sync on the modem.

It is possible that the modem is starting to fail, is it very hot? Mine sits on the top of a bookcase and does not get too hot.

It doesn't feel very hot, the engineer wall mounted it to try and make sure it stays cool. The whole sequence of events is very strange, it seems like it's an Airport Extreme problem but I don't think it's possible so it must be a coincidence.

- 2 months stable max profile with HH3 and 10ms ping
- Change to Airport Extreme and when setting up reset the router 4-5 times and the IP profile dropped slightly and ping doubled
- Didn't reboot Airport Extreme for a week, max profile and low pings returned
- 5 days later IP profile drops to 25859 without me rebooting either router or modem at all
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to