General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 09-Jun-11 18:24:12
Print Post

Fault after engineer installed VDSL modem and faceplate

[link to this post]

Hi,

Not sure if I am posting this in the correct place but wondering if anyone can help. i had a BT open reach engineer attend my home yesterday to move me onto the new fibre to the cabinet broadband. He replaced my faceplate but before doing so he was looking at the wiring and asked if we had any other phone lines in the house to which I replied only the one now the other was cancelled years ago. He then went on to go you dont need any of these cables and removed aload of cables from the mastersocket. The engineer done his bit and the VDSL modem connected.

However one the engineer left later in the day I attempted to use the phone plugged into an extension upstairs and now whenever I left the handset the extension in the hallway rings. What has the engineer done to cause this as BT are now saying they will charge to fix it because it is internal wiring even though the BT engineer caused it.

Current set up is:

Master socket - digital phone

hallway - analogue phone

bedroom - analogue phone
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(experienced) Thu 09-Jun-11 18:42:21
Print Post

Re: Fault after engineer installed VDSL modem and faceplate

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Wires 2 & 5 are reversed on one of your extensions - either at the frontplate by the engineer installing VDSL faceplate today or they were wired up reversed at both ends in the past and the engineer connected them back correct at the VDSL end not realising that it was reversed at the other.

Either way sounds like the Openreach engineer messed up, raise a complaint to the ISP you ordered VDSL through and they should get a job raised to get it sorted.

Edited by FRS_Plunderer (Thu 09-Jun-11 18:43:36)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 09-Jun-11 20:05:11
Print Post

[re: FRS_Plunderer] [link to this post]

Double checked the extensions and they all look to be wired correctly. The extension upstairs however looks very weird (the one with the problem) as I think this is where the second line that is no longer in use was run from somehow. There is wires joining onto other wires in single plastic junction box type things.

Also the extension in the hallway has 6 wires attached so don't know if this has anything to do with it.

i am thinking that BT passed my second line I had at one point round the house on the extra wires possibly?

Looks like I am going to have to get BT back out then

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 09-Jun-11 21:15:33
Print Post

have had a few faults like this over the years. report it - when the next engineer comes around explain what has happened and they should not charge you.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Jun-11 21:35:59
Print Post

What FRS says is correct, the engineer has reversed the polarity on one of the extensions.

Print Thread

Jump to