General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 13-Jun-11 15:09:04
Print Post

PCP to Postcode - 2 cabs one postcode?

[link to this post]

Hi, FTTC due to be installed tomorrow.

Been looking over the PCP to Postcode file and noticed my Postcode is served by two cabs.
This makes sense, as when I put my number in the checker it said I couldn't have FTTC but my postcode said I could.

When Bt installed my line he showed me my Cab, pointed right at it as its only up the road.
PCP to Postcode says:

SAU_ID, Name, Postcode, SAU_NODE_ID, Exchange Only Flag, Percent Lines, Uplift, Phase, Deployed, FTTC or FTTP
SMWV, WOLVERTON, MK146AL, {SMWV} {p10}, 0, 97.29, 10.33, 5a, Yes ,FTTC
SMWV, WOLVERTON, MK146AL, {SMWV} {p6}, 0, 2.7, 3.38, 5a, Yes, FTTC
(exuses the poor formatting)

Either I face high contention (97.3% of local lines) but a uplift of 2mb x 10 = 20mb.
Or I face a very low contention (2.7% local lines) but a rather dismal uplift 2mb x 3.38 = 7.2mb.

Assuming my understanding is correct, Im not sure what cab id rather be on, the only thing I can see that separates them is the exchange only flag, is there anyway to find out what the "exchange only flag" for the cab I know is mine?

Would be interesting to know.

Thanks
Standard User mikecrawford80
(regular) Mon 13-Jun-11 15:57:10
Print Post

Re: PCP to Postcode - 2 cabs one postcode?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

p10 and p6 are the PCP (Primary Connection Point) numbers. Your cabinet should have a stencilled or written number on it. If yours does not have it, can you find another one elsewhere that has either 6 or 10 on it?

Plusnet Value Fibre
June 2011 Speedtest ...
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Mon 13-Jun-11 16:05:21
Print Post

I'd love to know how you managed to order FTTC if your checker said your line couldn't have it!

The two spreadsheet lines mean that 97.29% of lines in that postcode go to cabinet 10, and 2.7% go to cabinet 6. They don't mean that either cabinet has higher contention than the other - after all, they both serve many other postcodes too.

The uplift figure is relatively meaningless too - in that it is an average, comparing the average of estimates for old technology vs the average of estimates for the new technology. The difference probably suggests that either a) the cable for cabinet 10 takes a more convoluted route back to the exchange, and therefore the old speeds for cab 10 are slow, or b) cabinet 6 is a lot futher from the postcode than 10, so all the new speeds are slow.

What matters to you is what speed you end up on, realtive to what you were on. You would know the answer to this if the checker told you that you could have FTTC wink

The "exchange-only" flag probably doesn't differentiate you. If yours was an exchange line (ie no cabinet) then you wouldn't get FTTC at all. The VDSL frequencies have only been allowed from cabinets, and not from exchange buildings.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 13-Jun-11 16:56:28
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I'd love to know how you managed to order FTTC if your checker said your line couldn't have it!

The two spreadsheet lines mean that 97.29% of lines in that postcode go to cabinet 10, and 2.7% go to cabinet 6. They don't mean that either cabinet has higher contention than the other - after all, they both serve many other postcodes too.

The uplift figure is relatively meaningless too - in that it is an average, comparing the average of estimates for old technology vs the average of estimates for the new technology. The difference probably suggests that either a) the cable for cabinet 10 takes a more convoluted route back to the exchange, and therefore the old speeds for cab 10 are slow, or b) cabinet 6 is a lot futher from the postcode than 10, so all the new speeds are slow.

What matters to you is what speed you end up on, realtive to what you were on. You would know the answer to this if the checker told you that you could have FTTC wink

The "exchange-only" flag probably doesn't differentiate you. If yours was an exchange line (ie no cabinet) then you wouldn't get FTTC at all. The VDSL frequencies have only been allowed from cabinets, and not from exchange buildings.

I see, makes sense about the % and contention hummm.

The checker does say I can get it via my number now, however for months it said no, and the postcode said yes.

wholsale checker says: 29.9Mbps and upstream line speed of 7Mbps.
And Id guess the cab is 200-300m away directly down the road.

Currently geting 2mb - so either way ill be happy.
Standard User Justo
(learned) Mon 13-Jun-11 17:34:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
wholsale checker says: 29.9Mbps and upstream line speed of 7Mbps.
And Id guess the cab is 200-300m away directly down the road.

Currently geting 2mb - so either way ill be happy.

As WWwombat says really, but I would say that the postcode file thinks you get around 3mb currently, not 2mb again as your postcode and that cab cover various houses, it's just a guide. If the checker says 29.9 you will likely see 35 after install.
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Mon 13-Jun-11 18:29:32
Print Post

I just checked in my copy of the Openreach spreadsheets that got loose in early May....

As of that time, the list of RFS cabinets in Wolverton included cabinet 6 but didn't include cabinet 10. Cabinet 11 was marked as New.

I guess that means you are one of the many on Cab 10, but the original postcode check was giving responses for Cab 6.

My distance is about 550m, with original predictions of 30.1, and currently with an IP profile of about 35 - so I guess the sync is about 36.5. I did get a full IP profile for a while... but I also got about 4% packet loss too. Speeds have dropped a little since then, but stability has improved.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Jun-11 22:11:36
Print Post

Where is this PCP to postcode file?

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User Embraer
(member) Mon 13-Jun-11 23:26:27
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Here's mine

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, Bye Bye O2 once FTTC arrives on my exchange
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 13-Jun-11 23:53:52
Print Post

I think I am on cab 10, but with a business product I think im assured 12mb throughput, so should be ok.

As for speeds, although it will sound greedy, but ill be sad if I don't see above 30mb, not so much for now, 2 to 30 will be amazing, but id like to think in the future id stand a chance at getting the 80(ish) sevice.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jun-11 00:23:13
Print Post

[re: Embraer] [link to this post]

Thanks.

Nothing in there for where I live frown

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
  Print Thread

Jump to