General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nelix01
(member) Tue 14-Jun-11 10:03:51
Print Post

New Exchanges Announced

[link to this post]

Apparently another 66 exchanges have been announced as being part of the FTTC/P roll-out:
http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 14-Jun-11 11:47:13
Print Post

Re: New Exchanges Announced

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

And still there is nothing south west of Glasgow as far as FTTC is concerned. Is this due to the lack of fibre connections from Glasgow to the likes of Kilmarnock and Ayr rather than an unwillingness to lay fibre in these towns?
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Tue 14-Jun-11 12:17:46
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

12 of these make it into 2011 plans, the rest in 2012. 12 of those in the 2012 plans are marked as "FTTC/P".

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 14-Jun-11 14:10:29
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Blimey, it makes grim reading if you live in Scotland/Wales, By the end of 2012 the breakdown of exchanges converted for FTTC will be:

Wales 22
Scotland 37
Northern Ireland 103
England 825

Anyone knowhow many exchanges there currently are in each country?
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Jun-11 15:41:51
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

The only reason we have so many in N.ireland was from government funding.

The city i live in has 100% coverage due for 30th June, all 100+ cabinets are done.

Sky Broadband
Unlimited
Standard User killie99
(regular) Tue 14-Jun-11 15:57:09
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

Just realised I wasn't logged in - wondered why I was being asked to jump through catchpa hoop thing ...

Anyway, found out the number of exchanges in each country on Samknows and it makes grim reading for Scotland. By the end of 2012 the breadown of converted FTTC exchanges will be:

Scotland 3.36%
Wales 5.08%
England 21.16%
NI 53.93%

By the end of 2012 there will still be NO exchanges south of Glasgow converted to FTTC.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-Jun-11 21:14:29
Print Post

I know N.Ireland has less than 200 but we're the FTTC kings at the moment.

Rough memory/estimates for others

Wales somewhere around 400
Scotland closer to 1000
England 3000 (?)

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Jun-11 22:51:25
Print Post

[re: killie99] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by killie99:
Just realised I wasn't logged in - wondered why I was being asked to jump through catchpa hoop thing ...

Anyway, found out the number of exchanges in each country on Samknows and it makes grim reading for Scotland. By the end of 2012 the breadown of converted FTTC exchanges will be:

Scotland 3.36%
Wales 5.08%
England 21.16%
NI 53.93%

By the end of 2012 there will still be NO exchanges south of Glasgow converted to FTTC.

its grim in england as well, most of TBB seems to be on a exchange thats planned which doesnt reflect the actual situation as 3/4 of BT network still has no FTTC planned.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Jun-11 23:24:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
And still there is nothing south west of Glasgow as far as FTTC is concerned. Is this due to the lack of fibre connections from Glasgow to the likes of Kilmarnock and Ayr rather than an unwillingness to lay fibre in these towns?

Probably that coupled with the fact many towns south of Glasgow (excluding the obvious ones - Dumfries, Ayr, Hamilton) have populations well below 40,000 (the three I mention still don't top 50,000).
It follows most exchanges will serve very rural communities meaning BT is unlikely to get a financial return for their investment.
This is also the case in many parts of England and most of Wales and NI.

Rural parts of England, Scotland, Wales and NI will need government subsidies to fund a fibre roll-out.
This is what happened in NI.
For England this is unlikely to happen on a wide scale.
Scotland & Wales get a pot of money from central government (and I guess it will upset many that 'central' means 'in London' tongue) and can spend it how they wish.
Wales chooses to go for free prescriptions (the English have to pay for theirs) and Scotland does the same (along with free crossings on ex-toll bridges, etc.)

Face facts; there's only a limited amount of money to go round, BT are unlikely to dip into their own pockets to roll-out fibre from exchanges they'll likely never see a return/profit and the Scottish government seems to favour free prescriptions and free travel across various toll bridges.
I guess those in Scotland who'd rather have fibre broadband in small rural communities (or in large towns where the nearest other large town is 50+ miles away) could petition their MP?

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Jun-11 23:35:21
Print Post

[re: killie99] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by killie99:

I'm not really surprised - I can only remember three towns south of Glasgow (and one's only just south of Glasgow) which have populations approaching 50,000.

I live in a similar size town (to Hamilton, Ayr and Dumfries) and we'll have fibre (if all goes to plan and we don't get a fourth or fifth delay) by the end of September, and we're a lot closer to other large (and larger) population centres than most of south-west Scotland and the Borders.
Within a 40 mile radius we have probably 6 to 10 towns with populations between 20,000 & 50,000; two have 100,000; another has 150,000; two with populations around 200,000; one with 300,000 and one is over a million!
It's still taken this long for us to get fibre (and we're in a very heavily populated area) so the chances for Scotland (outside the big places like Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Stirling & Dundee) look grim - as you say.

Time to talk with your MP?

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to