General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Tue 14-Jun-11 23:49:52
Print Post

Re: New Exchanges Announced

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

No change of FTTx in a place which is sub-5000 in population then. frown

I don't even want FTTx. It would require outlay on my part for kit, a learning curve of said kit (very familiar with the current kit) and would cost more monthly. I want ADSL2+ for no added cost, no added learning curve and little or no work involved for the exchange folk. 12-13 Meg would be fine, and an upload of 700K would also do nicely for the next few years.

That's not being greedy. Just asking for a level playing field.

In reply to a post by adebov:
Time to talk with your MP?

I would, but he's Labour, and not only is there a language barrier (Labour speak), he's on another planet. Scary looking too.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jun-11 00:05:25
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
No change of FTTx in a place which is sub-5000 in population then. frown

If it's close enough to other high population centres or has an affluent population (where the take-up is likely to be quite high) I'd say your chances are good.
If your sub-5000 town is stuck out (on its own) in the middle of nowhere, I'd say you've more chance of flying frown

I'm away of many towns at (or just above) that level of population which have FTTc enablement dates ahead of ours (and our exchange serves just shy of 20,000 domestic lines).
Business lines seem irrelevant as OR seem not to be doing cabs in industrial or business districts (probably to stop loads of companies ditching their very expensive leased lines - ours costs us probably 20x the cost of a FTTc vDSL connection and is significantly slower).

I tend to agree with you on ADSL2+.
The least BT can do (with all the exchange equipment which will be sitting idle once FTTc take-up increases) is to stick that equipment into the small exchanges and switch on ADSL2+ for you guys.
Actually the 'least they can do' is nothing and suspect that's what they'll do!

I would, but he's Labour

What? A Labour MP in Scotland....are you sure? wink They're getting as rare as Welsh Tory MPs these days!

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Wed 15-Jun-11 00:31:14
Print Post

Just over 3000 premises with 2.5% being commercial (of that, only one or two non-retail ones).

Not particularly affluent. Some nice areas, some not so nice. 5-10 miles from three bigger places; 9K pop, 35K pop, and 48K pop. None of those are in the pipeline.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jun-11 00:37:52
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Just over 3000 premises with 2.5% being commercial (of that, only one or two non-retail ones).

Not particularly affluent. Some nice areas, some not so nice. 5-10 miles from three bigger places; 9K pop, 35K pop, and 48K pop. None of those are in the pipeline.

I'd say we're unlikely to see the next couple of years go past without most exchanges serving those sorts of populations (35k & 48k) being enabled for FTTc, mainly because OR will run out of things to do in a year or so!

Remember we're still in the early stages of a roll-out (albeit one which is running significantly faster than the original ADSL1 roll-out).
How long [after the first batch of proper - i.e. non-trial exchanges] did you have to wait, after 2000/2001 for ADSL1? That may give an indication how far you are down the 'it doesn't matter, it's only Scotland" priority list smile.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Wed 15-Jun-11 03:23:43
Print Post

For English rural areas, you are right - some funding will need to step in.

The government had started trials in some places (started == making funds available), and I recall north Yorkshire bing one such place.

But other places see the advantage of not waiting for central government funds. Surrey is aiming for 100% coverage, and is being organised at the County level. I'm sure they'll try to chase central funcing, but they're well aware of the problems they always have at getting any central funding for anything.

I also checked the population figures. They're roughly in the proportions of 100:10:6:4 for England:Scotland:Wales:NI. All other things being equal, you'd expect cabinets to be being enabled in those proportions too, and exchanges in roughly similar proportions.

But all other things aren't equal, obviously.

We already know that BT say they will get fibre out to 67% in the current plans. And we know that 20% are classified as market 1 and market 2 - so it seems likely that almost all market 1 & 2 exchanges will not get covered - and another 13% of the "worst"/smallest market 3 exchanges.

But what size of town/exchange are we down to, when we hit the new have/have-not border? Ofcom's definition of Market 1 used to include 10,000 premises - which I reckon to match a population of 18-20,000. My rough guess says that the border between fibre and not will be exchanges/towns a little smaller - say around 6,000 lines, or populations of 10,000.
Standard User killie99
(regular) Wed 15-Jun-11 09:23:51
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

I have already contacted my MP and my MSP. My MSP is the convenor of the cross party group on Digital Participation so you never know, maybe he'll manage to do something.

The main population centres in Ayrshire are:

Kilmarnock (45,000)
Ayr (46,000)
Irvine (40,000)
Kilwinning/Ardrossan (48,000)
Prestwick/Troon (25,000)

So you have over 200,000 people in a fairly small area which makes it one of the highest populated areas of Scotland outside the major cities but still there are no plans to roll out FTTC. The Kilmarnock exchange was one of the first to roll out ADSL MAX and I was part of the trial (i think that was around 2006) and since then my broadband speed has got slower and slower - I'm guessing due to congestion as it works great during the day but slows down at night. I'm also far enough away from the exchange that ADSL2+ brings me no benefit even though it is available.
Time for the government to get their finger (and cash) out.
Standard User epyon
(learned) Wed 15-Jun-11 10:58:33
Print Post

My exchange (NSDEN) got "coming soon" 2012

Well...i'm happy laugh

don't see why a less popular exchange in this city is getting is this year

i'm sure openreach have there reasons.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by epyon (Wed 15-Jun-11 10:59:51)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Jun-11 11:09:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
But what size of town/exchange are we down to, when we hit the new have/have-not border? Ofcom's definition of Market 1 used to include 10,000 premises - which I reckon to match a population of 18-20,000. My rough guess says that the border between fibre and not will be exchanges/towns a little smaller - say around 6,000 lines, or populations of 10,000.
It isn't just about size though(*). Brackley is Market 3 and due to get FTTC at the end of year (used to say 'enabled December 2011' but now says 'Available 2012'). We have 6500 lines according to Samknows. Now that is above your limit but we've been listed as getting FTTC for over a year now so it's not like we're borderline.

(*)As the actress said to the bishop smile.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jun-11 13:37:19
Print Post

in leicestershire, more market 2 than market 3 have been picked, thoughts?
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 15-Jun-11 13:39:31
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
in leicestershire, more market 2 than market 3 have been picked, thoughts?
Possibly a closer correlation with postcodes that have Virgin cable available?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to