General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jun-11 13:42:42
Print Post

Re: New Exchanges Announced

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
in leicestershire, more market 2 than market 3 have been picked, thoughts?
Possibly a closer correlation with postcodes that have Virgin cable available?

incorrect.

2 of the exchanges picked have no VM. 9 exchanges not picked have VM.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 15-Jun-11 13:47:19
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Ah well, it was just a thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jun-11 13:52:18
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

the market 2 exchanges picked do have rich people living there tho.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(member) Wed 15-Jun-11 16:08:53
Print Post

[re: killie99] [link to this post]

I'd imagine that all of those will qualify - though obviously it will also depend on just how many exchanges they have covering the towns. For example, there look to be 2 small exchanges within Ayr that look dodgier... although their cabinets could still be converted, but connected to the main exchange.

These roll-outs seem to follow a logic that is all their own. My exchange was in the original ADSL trial in 2000, and I was first onto the exchange with that one. Then it was almost last in the ADSLmax rollout, but it has been relatively early in the FTTC roll-out, and really late in the 21CN roll-out.

For comparisons:
I live in a town in the South East of England, with a population of 92,000, which has 1 central exchange (due to go live at the end of the year), 1 exchange that covers the western suburbs plus some villages (now live), and 1 exchange that overlaps into the eastern edges (due 2012). Samknows lists those exchanges as having 25,000, 11,000 and 12,000 premises respectively. It is, I guess, a relatively affluent area, mostly covered by Virgin, of regular suburb housing density - nothing especially high density such as blocks of flats - and all market 3.

The most recent (local) addition to the list is a village-based exchange, with 4500 premises - also market 3. It isn't a big exchange area, but the housing has to be relatively sparse compared with a normal town. I'd certainly have had this exchange down as borderline for fibre. They were also early with the original ADSL.

Who knows why? We're close to Guildford - which has long been one of the main switching centres in the national network for voice and now is a core node for 21CN. I have long suspected that we got early ADSL service because our exchanges were on a route that took fibre into Guildford - so was easy to wire/light up the backhaul.

In your case, like mine, it isn't going to be a matter of the government getting the cash out. It will be covered by BT's finances. The real question is how to get your exchange higher on BT's project plans
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Wed 15-Jun-11 16:58:57
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adebov:
How long [after the first batch of proper - i.e. non-trial exchanges] did you have to wait, after 2000/2001 for ADSL1? That may give an indication how far you are down the 'it doesn't matter, it's only Scotland" priority list smile.

2004 and 2006 for ADSL and ADLSmax respectively according to Samknows. I think the 2006 date is a catch all date for many as opposed to being an accurate date.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User delone
(committed) Wed 15-Jun-11 23:03:31
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

My exchange is on this list which is good to see. I am a bit concerned that openreach have the council area listed wrongly as Fife though. In fact having just looked quickly through the 3 lists on their microsite 'Fife' seems to be a popular choice of incorrect council area / county.

Some of them should be obvious i.e. Aberdeen Ashgrove, Glasgow Scotstoun, Bristol South and I'm sure there isn't an Aberdare in Fife either!!!

Streetly appears twice, once in Fife and once in Walsall!

Openreach = BT Muppets with bells on.

smile

Del
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Wed 15-Jun-11 23:25:16
Print Post

[re: delone] [link to this post]

Inverkeithing - Fife
Cumbernauld - Not Fife

None of the others are Fife as far as I know.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User WWWombat
(member) Thu 16-Jun-11 01:09:16
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

If they were really that rich, wouldn't there be other service providers deperate to sell them services? The fact they are market 2 means it isn't just BT who think they won't buy stuff.

That doesn't explain why BT have chosen to include them, and not include the city areas though...
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Jun-11 13:18:20
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Makes no sense to me either, but its a defenite pattern.

If you look at areas where not many exchanges are been activated then the ones that are, are usually in affluent areas.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to