General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband


Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.


  Print Thread
Standard User iand
(experienced) Tue 14-Jun-11 18:00:23
Print Post

SKY FTTC


[link to this post]
 
do I understand this correctly SKY will soon be announcing a FTTC product

IanD
Standard User MadPom
(regular) Tue 14-Jun-11 18:05:36
Print Post

Re: SKY FTTC


[re: iand] [link to this post]
 
Other than a trial that was touted in 2010, they haven't made any announcements on FTTC. I'm not sure I've seen comments from anyone on said trial so unsure if it even took place. What have you heard, and where?
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jun-11 19:49:49
Print Post

Re: SKY FTTC


[re: MadPom] [link to this post]
 
The trial did take place, a mate did a couple of Sky employee trial lines in Hemel a few months back.


Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(member) Tue 14-Jun-11 20:06:28
Print Post

Re: SKY FTTC


[re: MadPom] [link to this post]
 
They told me on phone they were going to start roling it out at the end of this year but as we all know customer services never know what there on about lol. So there's like a 1% chance it might happen but most likaly a 99% chance it wont.(Think they just told me that coz i was complaining about the [censored] upload speeds lol like oh were sotring that out with new FTTC 10meg up n all that)

They also said at same time they were excited to announce sky player was going to be on the ps3/wii by june/july but that also hasn't come true yet.

Ash

-------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Broadband Unlimited
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 11167 kbps D / 910kbps U

My Broadband Speed Test

Desktop 1 Intel Core i5 2500 4gig DDr3 1333 64GB SSD 250gig sata 3 HDD 1TB sata 2 HDD Blu-ray RW Nvidia 8800GTS Win 7 Pro
Desktop 2 Intel Atom 330 2gig DDR2 677 250gig sata 2 HDD DVD-RW Win 7 Pro
PSN/xbox live both: ACPSD775 add me if you like

Edited by acpsd775 (Tue 14-Jun-11 20:09:37)

Standard User bruce007
(regular) Wed 15-Jun-11 13:26:27
Print Post

Re: SKY FTTC


[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]
 
the Sky FTTx mini-site has been around since last year, but they were not involved in the MK FTTP trial, despite mentioning FTTP on that site. But their Anytime Plus requires Sky BB, and people are not going to stay on Sky ADSL to keep Anytime+. So Sky will have to offer some form of FTTx soon to avoid loosing customers by the boatload to the Fibre providers. Hopefully SkyGo does not have the reme restrictions.

There were some mentions over the last few months (year) about how the LLU operators would offer FTTx products, but they could always just resell BT products as they do for ADSL in exchanges not enabled for Sky (Easynet) LLU. I am hoping they (or Be) end up using their own backhaul so we don't have to live with the BT data restrictions.

And lets face it cheap Sky FTTx, with VOD and SkyGo makes for a seriously compelling product, especially if they don't have the same data cap issues as BTW products.

Bruce
Broughton Gate
get the news first at MK Broadband Action Group
Standard User acpsd775
(member) Wed 15-Jun-11 14:08:51
Print Post

Re: SKY FTTC


[re: bruce007] [link to this post]
 
I for one also hope this too ive been very happy with sky but i do miss having virgins 50meg at times (mind its the only thing i miss about them lol) especially with things like steam psn xbox live game downloads.
Also with the amount of things in my house that use the net at the same time i would love sky to offer a FTTx product this would make my like with sky complete.

sky go doesn't have any restrictions except a 2 device limit if anything its got less restrictions than sky player now you only need a 1 TV sub to use it so no more multiroom and/or broadband unlimited to get it free also both devices can now watch at same time instead of just one (Xbox 360s don't count on the 2 limit apparently they are separate effectively 3rd device .

Ash

-------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Broadband Unlimited
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 11167 kbps D / 910kbps U

My Broadband Speed Test

Desktop 1 Intel Core i5 2500 4gig DDr3 1333 64GB SSD 250gig sata 3 HDD 1TB sata 2 HDD Blu-ray RW Nvidia 8800GTS Win 7 Pro
Desktop 2 Intel Atom 330 2gig DDR2 677 250gig sata 2 HDD DVD-RW Win 7 Pro
PSN/xbox live both: ACPSD775 add me if you like
  Print Thread

Jump to