General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Lemzip
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Jun-11 01:13:33
Print Post

Shropshire - BT hate the County

[link to this post]

I know its down to rural area etc etc but comon...we have 80 exchanges with a good coverage. How many exchanges is on the roll out inc future exchanges..

3...YES 3 for the whole County which is pritty big.

So we have Shrewsbury, Baschurch (race to infinity winners) and Oswestry.

Everywhere else...nothing...nada...not even VM.

Must be really unlucky to live here....great countryside...high petrol prices and bad internet.

Edited by Lemzip (Thu 16-Jun-11 01:14:22)

Standard User ccxo
(regular) Thu 16-Jun-11 05:16:28
Print Post

Re: Shropshire - BT hate the County

[re: Lemzip] [link to this post]

Need to get onto you're MP and councils for the region to make funding avaliable, that will speed up the rollout.

We are only in 2011- rollout goes till 2015 when the target of 85% is expected to be reached, so will proably see more exchanges out the 60 done in the next few years.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User aquiss
(experienced) Thu 16-Jun-11 09:40:35
Print Post

Hi Lemzip,

As a company based in the county, we do understand more than anyone the problems and the delays being faced. However, we agree, the county actually has exchanges (unlike Herefordshire) that are located in good placements, with a return on investment better than most rural counties.

That all said, we are making some progress in south of the county. We are working with our local MP and BT account managers to push hard for Bridgnorth and Ludlow to be progressed in some way. Bridgnorth did appear briefly on BTs FTTC plans, but got removed within weeks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Lemzip
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 18-Jun-11 22:52:34
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

Lets hope something happens, i know the bid for the latest cash from BDUK was not secured (what do they want the Council to show them? The map is pritty clear to me!)

http://connectingshropshire.com/

If you look at the map, you can see the issue we have in this area. No cable either across the whole County.

Edited by Lemzip (Sat 18-Jun-11 22:54:44)

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Jun-11 15:20:46
Print Post

Telford and Newport both fall into Shropshire.

Donnington
Stirchley
Newport

Shrewsbury also listed for FTTC/P so they are investing heavily in Shropshire.

-

Xilo.net Office 8Mb
Standard User Lemzip
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Jun-11 01:50:39
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

Sorry, should have clarified...i mean Council wise (as thats where the money will go from BDUK)

Donnington, Stirchley, Newport all fall under Telford and Wrekin Council (even though Telford is classed as Shropshire)

Telford and Wrekin Council will not be given cash to get a Shropshire Council exchange done that they get given from BDUK.

So you saying that the 3 out of almost 100 exchanges in the Shropshire Council area is still satisfactory coverage for this Council area (Shrewsbury, Oswestry and Baschurch)?

Edited by Lemzip (Wed 22-Jun-11 01:52:41)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 22-Jun-11 08:13:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Lemzip:
Sorry, should have clarified...i mean Council wise (as thats where the money will go from BDUK)

Donnington, Stirchley, Newport all fall under Telford and Wrekin Council (even though Telford is classed as Shropshire)

Telford and Wrekin Council will not be given cash to get a Shropshire Council exchange done that they get given from BDUK.

So you saying that the 3 out of almost 100 exchanges in the Shropshire Council area is still satisfactory coverage for this Council area (Shrewsbury, Oswestry and Baschurch)?

Number of exchanges is not important, what % of the population is covered?
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Jun-11 09:26:34
Print Post

I understand and although TAW have Newport, Donnington and Stirchley all listed Oakengates and Wellington especially, the two big exchanges have been left out.

Telford does have excellent Virgin coverage although I know a Virgin tech who says the network is old and the fiber links to Wolverhampton need upgrading. It's hit and miss in some areas.

It was offered to Shrewsbury but Shropshire council rejected all planning permission. Same thing happened in Chester.

I guess if Virgin would have cabled Shrewsbury then it would have been easier for them to get fiber to places like Oswestry.

I would expect places like Bayston Hill, Harlescott and Wem to get Infinity eventually.

-

Xilo.net Office 8Mb
Standard User ccxo
(regular) Fri 24-Jun-11 03:41:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Lemzip:

I know in my county, my particualr part of it will see 85% roll out by BT by 2015 which would cover 16 out of the 19 exchanges, if 2m could be raised by my local cc then the coverage would rise to 96-97% with the remaining area's needed wireless or satelite connections as they are not economicaly viable for fibre.

Have to rember BT's roleout goes till 2015 as i have mentioned before, you will have to wait a while as BT is limited by the manpower it has in each area where they will do the most viable exchanges first and then move down the list in their areas through their own funding.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Fri 24-Jun-11 03:42:52)

Standard User TheKLF99
(newbie) Tue 16-Aug-11 08:17:49
Print Post

I totally agree with you on this one.

I moved to Ludlow from Warrington back in December, it was due to my mum having health issues with all the pollution in Warrington.

I couldn't believe it when we came here and I asked about Virgin and was told I'm in a virgin no-go area. I'm 1 mile from Ludlow in Middleton - that's an absolute joke.

If you want Virgin media to consider Shropshire we need to bombard them at this address with requests - cablemystreet@virginmedia.co.uk

I sent one but was told they have no plans at present to install in this area, maybe if enough people sent there postcode in they would consider it.

It's annoying 'cos I've found Ludlow to be a really nice place to live and it's just the lack of superfast broadband that is killing it.

I know one major problem would be the routing of the fibres because for superfast broadband you'd need to take it from somewhere, and I presume most companies are looking at the fact they'd bring it out from Birmingham, which would mean taking it through the Shropshire hills, which I suppose would be a major problem, however there is a better option, they could lay it down near the A49, bring it straight down from Warrington, and then cover numerous towns and villages on the way down like Whitchurch, Shrewsbury, Wem, Craven Arms, Ludlow, and even onto Leominster and Hereford.

Shropshire could do with some company founding it's own cable company here, that is exactly how most of Lancashire got cable - Telewest founded themselves in Preston and covered most of Lancashire in fibre, in Shropshire we need a similar company, would love to do it myself if my PC repair company got big enough.

Another option for super-fast broadband is Too-way satellite broadband but that does come at a really hefty cost - £24.99 per month for only 4Gb usage, if they sort the usage out it would be fine, but I pay less than that for Plus.net and get far more usage, it might be slower, but I'd easily go through 4Gb.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to