General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User neagle
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-11 19:54:58
Print Post

OR Modem Replaced Speed Drop DLM

[link to this post]

I had the Open Reach modem replaced on tuesday due to a fault in the hardware which appears to be common.
Since the install my connection has been near max with the IP profile starting out at 38171 and only dropping slightly when I request the 10k upload profile.

Anyway the modem decided to die on my and tried resyncing a **bleep** loads of times for a period of 2 days till the eng came out.

Eng replaced the modem and the IP Profile sat at 23000~ he said he reset the DLM at the cabinet and that it may take 2 - 3 days for the speed to start incresing back to the orginal state.

Currently its been 4 days and im still stuck at the 23k with no change at all? Is there something I'm missing... Does the DLM require like loads of data to be going over the line for it to increase the speed?

Thanks

Nick
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Jun-11 20:00:40
Print Post

Re: OR Modem Replaced Speed Drop DLM

[re: neagle] [link to this post]

Summat not right there. The engineer can ring and have the sync reset there and then, whilst on the phone, they *should* have done this. The only thing I can imagine is that, as happened the other day, the reset system was going slow, so the resync took well over two hours to come through .... maybe it didn't. Could be that the engineer didn't actually get the resync done, or there is a fault on the D-side causing low sync.

Ring your ISP, and get them to call the engineers back out.

Standard User neagle
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-11 20:04:27
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

ISP Is BT and talking to them... well i might aswell bash my head against the wall to be totally honest...
Why does the Engineer need to come back out if they can just call openreach? to have it reset? Unless there is still a problem on d-side? not sure what d-side means tongue smile

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Jun-11 20:08:59
Print Post

Keep pushing, I know it can be traumatic.

You need an engineer out so they can use their test kit to see what sync rate you are getting, or maybe look for errors, etc. If there is a fault on the D-side (pair between the cabinet and you) then they can fix that if required.

Standard User neagle
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-11 21:48:05
Print Post

your telling me, its like the same person each and everytime just different names and they do not listen and just move you around from departments.

such a waste of time
Standard User andyboygsi
(committed) Fri 17-Jun-11 22:16:05
Print Post

the engineer does not need to phone up and reset as it should happen automatically.

i have never reset anything after swapping out a faulty modem

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User neagle
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-11 22:23:31
Print Post

[re: andyboygsi] [link to this post]

but because of the amount of resyncs im guessing here... the DLM has lowered my IP profile to try to stabilize the line..
so how long should i need to wait if i havent been using the internet much since the replacement?

Edited by neagle (Fri 17-Jun-11 22:26:32)

Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Fri 17-Jun-11 22:50:42
Print Post

Someone posted on Plusnet's forum that their line took 3 weeks to recover the profile after the modem was replaced.

No mention of the speeds seen.
Standard User neagle
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-11 23:48:58
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Ah if thats the case I don't mind waiting... No rush, its more the case it is stuck. The dlm is meant to mange the line on the fly I'm guessing....
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 18-Jun-11 00:20:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by neagle:
The dlm is meant to mange the line on the fly I'm guessing....

I believe you've missed the letter 'L'...

The dlm is meant to mangle the line on the fly I'm guessing....

Mangle - A verb meaning to wreck or obliterate
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to