General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User neagle
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-11 19:54:58
Print Post

OR Modem Replaced Speed Drop DLM

[link to this post]

I had the Open Reach modem replaced on tuesday due to a fault in the hardware which appears to be common.
Since the install my connection has been near max with the IP profile starting out at 38171 and only dropping slightly when I request the 10k upload profile.

Anyway the modem decided to die on my and tried resyncing a **bleep** loads of times for a period of 2 days till the eng came out.

Eng replaced the modem and the IP Profile sat at 23000~ he said he reset the DLM at the cabinet and that it may take 2 - 3 days for the speed to start incresing back to the orginal state.

Currently its been 4 days and im still stuck at the 23k with no change at all? Is there something I'm missing... Does the DLM require like loads of data to be going over the line for it to increase the speed?

Thanks

Nick
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Jun-11 20:00:40
Print Post

Re: OR Modem Replaced Speed Drop DLM

[re: neagle] [link to this post]

Summat not right there. The engineer can ring and have the sync reset there and then, whilst on the phone, they *should* have done this. The only thing I can imagine is that, as happened the other day, the reset system was going slow, so the resync took well over two hours to come through .... maybe it didn't. Could be that the engineer didn't actually get the resync done, or there is a fault on the D-side causing low sync.

Ring your ISP, and get them to call the engineers back out.

Standard User neagle
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-11 20:04:27
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

ISP Is BT and talking to them... well i might aswell bash my head against the wall to be totally honest...
Why does the Engineer need to come back out if they can just call openreach? to have it reset? Unless there is still a problem on d-side? not sure what d-side means tongue smile

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Jun-11 20:08:59
Print Post

Keep pushing, I know it can be traumatic.

You need an engineer out so they can use their test kit to see what sync rate you are getting, or maybe look for errors, etc. If there is a fault on the D-side (pair between the cabinet and you) then they can fix that if required.

Standard User neagle
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-11 21:48:05
Print Post

your telling me, its like the same person each and everytime just different names and they do not listen and just move you around from departments.

such a waste of time
Standard User andyboygsi
(committed) Fri 17-Jun-11 22:16:05
Print Post

the engineer does not need to phone up and reset as it should happen automatically.

i have never reset anything after swapping out a faulty modem

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User neagle
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-11 22:23:31
Print Post

[re: andyboygsi] [link to this post]

but because of the amount of resyncs im guessing here... the DLM has lowered my IP profile to try to stabilize the line..
so how long should i need to wait if i havent been using the internet much since the replacement?

Edited by neagle (Fri 17-Jun-11 22:26:32)

Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Fri 17-Jun-11 22:50:42
Print Post

Someone posted on Plusnet's forum that their line took 3 weeks to recover the profile after the modem was replaced.

No mention of the speeds seen.
Standard User neagle
(newbie) Fri 17-Jun-11 23:48:58
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Ah if thats the case I don't mind waiting... No rush, its more the case it is stuck. The dlm is meant to mange the line on the fly I'm guessing....
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 18-Jun-11 00:20:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by neagle:
The dlm is meant to mange the line on the fly I'm guessing....

I believe you've missed the letter 'L'...

The dlm is meant to mangle the line on the fly I'm guessing....

Mangle - A verb meaning to wreck or obliterate
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Jun-11 19:15:08
Print Post

[re: andyboygsi] [link to this post]

If the sync rate has lowered due to the faulty modems influence on the circuit, then yes, you ring FTTC assurance, and they reset the sync there and then. If you leave the lowered sync, most notably on the upstream, it'll fail it's Eclipse test.

Maybe they have different guidelines in your area ??

Standard User neagle
(newbie) Sat 25-Jun-11 08:24:34
Print Post

Ok I've given up trying to talk to support as they seem to just believe its not a problem.
Emailed the Executive Level Complaints again... Hopefully this will resolve this as it has done in the past.
Standard User paul1360
(member) Sat 25-Jun-11 11:51:22
Print Post

I've the same problem as you OP and according to CS they can't reset anybody's IP Profile. So tried to find out how I could get it changed but before I could do that my new modem went again. Eng out on Monday.

iechyd da

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 25-Jun-11 12:05:46
Print Post

[re: paul1360] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by paul1360:
I've the same problem as you OP and according to CS they can't reset anybody's IP Profile. So tried to find out how I could get it changed but before I could do that my new modem went again. Eng out on Monday.

iechyd da
I think it's worth pointing out that on FTTC the IP Profile is set by the Openreach DLM, not the ADSLx BT Wholesale one.

It's quite possible that CS have no simple way to affect that other than (on all except TalkTalk) reporting a problem to BT Wholesale, and I would guess few there know much about it.

As IP Profile is set by the sync, not the other way round, and the OR DLM seems to update it effectively immediately, it's unlikely that resetting IP Profile is a need. It's the sync that needs addressing.

Zarjaz's reply to andyboygsi seems to cover it - the engineer replacing the modem needs to check the sync and sort that out if necessary, though how you get it sorted if he doesn't is another question.

We can only know what the sync is if we are one of the intrepid users who have swapped out the OR modem, precisely for diagnosis of this sort of problem.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User neagle
(newbie) Sun 26-Jun-11 14:42:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Finally, all it took was an email to HLC and now my ping has finally dropped and my speed is starting to go up again finally!!!!!

Seems kind of pointless having Phone support their if they have no clue what to do.

Edited by neagle (Sun 26-Jun-11 14:43:23)

Standard User paul1360
(member) Mon 27-Jun-11 08:39:07
Print Post

RobertoS,
Yes I understand what your saying and I've read the other post's, When my modem was replaced OR Eng did test's etc and set my profile back to normal 38717 & 10000 and all was ok till later in the day when it dropped down and kept going down & down, now it sit's at 12500 & 2400, CS says these speed are good and within the range for my line, so I said is that so!!!! Well I'm on FTTC OP 2 and min is 15000 & 6000 ( I think) again told no that's incorrect, It is what it is and thats it lol.
Any way got OR Eng coming out 2day, but what I'm trying to say is that if we were able to have someone adjust our profile by phone it would make a lot more sense and not keep an Eng for doing more important work.
Let you know how I get on.

iechyd da

Standard User Croftie
(learned) Mon 27-Jun-11 14:58:25
Print Post

I'm in the same situation and getting knowhere with support. I'm glad you finaly got it sorted. Can you PM me the email address you used please, what did you say to get them to reset it?

My sync dropped after planned engineering works took down the connection. That was 17 days ago and speed/latency still not improved.

Edited by Croftie (Mon 27-Jun-11 14:59:59)

Standard User neagle
(newbie) Mon 27-Jun-11 16:03:54
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

Well apparently they haven't done anything, so I guess the DLM has started to see the line as stable and upped the speed and lowered the latency.
Only reason i know this is as i got a friendly chap call me up seeing what he could do and just explained it that he could do anything lol...

I did manage to get him to raised it with BTw anyway as we both agreed there was no harm in asking... so either way my connection is now on the mends or it will be reset by BTw in due course.

Just do a search for the CEO's email Ian Livingston, he will forward your request onto one of his ELC or HLC people.

Nick

Edited by neagle (Mon 27-Jun-11 16:08:07)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 27-Jun-11 16:22:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by neagle:
so either way my connection is now on the mends or it will be reset by BTw in due course.
What control have BT Wholesale got over your line settings? Do Openreach provide a facility for CPs to affect them? It would be great if they do, just I haven't seen any mechanism mentioned.

As I said earlier in the thread, this is not the BT Wholesale DLM. They have no direct control.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User neagle
(newbie) Mon 27-Jun-11 16:23:41
Print Post

I think I meant BT Open Reach. or are OpenReach the same as BTw?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 27-Jun-11 16:35:49
Print Post

Openreach and Wholesale are totally different companies . Openreach are the engineering one who provide the FTTC service between you and the exchange, at which point they hand it over to their customers.

The two customers currently taking live FTTC handover are BT Wholesale and TalkTalk.

The DLM on FTTC is running on the DSLAM in the cabinet, which is OR property, unlike the DSLAM/MSANs in the exchange which have always been BT Wholesale (with BTw DLM) or LLU.

Standard User paul1360
(member) Tue 28-Jun-11 08:57:37
Print Post

Ok had BT OR Eng out again today as I told you in earlier post. He has not long gone and found that I had been taken off interleaver??? to fast path??? (not sure on terms) and all test's he carried out I had no errors or any problems and so had my Profile reset back to 38717 & 10000 but he still said to heck with it and replaced my modem as well. Now my profile had been lowered and he had to ring someone to reset it, I did ask him who he spoke to about resetting my profile but alas told me he was not able to tell me si I never pushed him, also he was a new 1 to me and had not been here drinking my coffee like a lot of the others. Now maybe someone on here would know if being off interleaved would make a difference or not?
Speed still up and running A ok

iechyd da

Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 28-Jun-11 09:22:21
Print Post

Interleaved is used on a line which is otherwise OK but subject to bursts of noise which severely corrupt the data packets.

On fastpath, the trashed data packets would need to be re-transmitted thus decreasing the effective speed.

Interleaved "spreads the data out" along the time axis (or shuffles a block of packets if you like), thus a burst of noise will put a little bit of corruption into a lot of data packets, and the error correction algorithms in the modem can recover it.

The "shuffling" and processing takes time, so interleaved will add (typically) 10-15mSec to your pings, but will increase the effective rate of data transfer as no (well, a lot fewer) re-transmits are needed.

eta- more here

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed

Edited by billford (Tue 28-Jun-11 10:09:11)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 28-Jun-11 11:22:34
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I like Kitz's explanation of interleaving.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jun-11 22:03:28
Print Post

Now my profile had been lowered and he had to ring someone to reset it, I did ask him who he spoke to about resetting my profile but alas told me he was not able to tell me si I never pushed him

So it seems I was right about the whole calling for a reset thing, the folk the engineer called were the Openreach FTTC support team, who deal with provision and repair issues.
I wonder if Andyboigsi wants the number ? smile

Standard User paul1360
(member) Wed 29-Jun-11 07:49:11
Print Post

Ok so in effect it's the same as HD on a TV I & P. So would that effect the speed then???
As I said he wouldn't give me the number, You know it Zarjaz???

iechyd da

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Jun-11 18:47:46
Print Post

Yes, I know the number, but they only deal with Openreach employees !

Standard User Croftie
(regular) Wed 29-Jun-11 19:09:27
Print Post

I'm trying to get my profile reset after it dropped following downtime caused by "maintenance and upgrades". I spoke to someone from high level complaints and they said reach (I presume he meant openreach) were having trouble running remote tests on my cuircuit and they are trying to fix that without sending out an engineer. So he is going to phone back when he gets an update.

My mate saw an openreach engineer working on the fiber cab last week, as I understand it they don't normally need to open that. Could there be a fault in the fiber cab or am I being stalled?
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Jun-11 19:15:10
Print Post

TBH, I couldn't say without knowing the full SP. Good luck anyways.

Standard User Croftie
(regular) Wed 29-Jun-11 21:02:19
Print Post

Whta's SP?
Standard User Rockh
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jun-11 22:00:42
Print Post

Back ground info. sp = starting price in slang

Dave
Standard User paul1360
(member) Thu 30-Jun-11 07:39:44
Print Post

Sorry maybe I've missed something, But how would you knowing the SP (Starting Price) know if there is a fault in the Cab as croftie asked???????????

I tho only OR Eng can ring the number to reset IP Profile

iechyd da

Standard User Croftie
(regular) Thu 30-Jun-11 15:16:46
Print Post

[re: Rockh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rockh:
Back ground info. sp = starting price in slang

I'm guessing he meant background info but what has starting price got to do with it !??

Sorry maybe I've missed something, But how would you knowing the SP (Starting Price) know if there is a fault in the Cab as croftie asked???????????

Exactly, so why did you say it was hard to comment without knowing the SP !??

I think there is some confusion. I just though you sounded like you knew about this stuff and could give your technical opinion. Thanks anyway.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jun-11 22:11:29
Print Post

Exactly, so why did you say it was hard to comment without knowing the SP !??

I think there is some confusion. I just though you sounded like you knew about this stuff and could give your technical opinion. Thanks anyway.

I do know my stuff.
But without knowing more info (the full SP, sorry to have slipped into acronyms), it'd be difficult to give any advice other than conjecture.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jun-11 22:13:09
Print Post

I tho only OR Eng can ring the number to reset IP Profile

Yes, that's correct.

Standard User paul1360
(member) Fri 01-Jul-11 08:22:45
Print Post

Re phone number ok no problem, I still think it's silly that the number is not out there for people to ring if they have an IP Profile problem, as surely sending an OR Engineer out to do cost's BT a lot more in time and money.

Zarjaz

(the full SP, sorry to have slipped into acronyms) so are you saying that SP = Starting Price?????????????

iechyd da

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 01-Jul-11 10:09:43
Print Post

(the full SP, sorry to have slipped into acronyms) so are you saying that SP = Starting Price?????????????
The full SP

Other links suggest it's "Specification", but I've known it as "Starting Price" since I was a kid.

eta- just realised that could give a distinctly misleading impression of my childhood escapades blush. My grandmother was a serious fan of the gee-gees smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed

Edited by billford (Fri 01-Jul-11 10:20:57)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 01-Jul-11 11:58:42
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
My grandmother was a serious fan of the gee-gees smile
That's an unwise statement if ever I saw one tongue.

Standard User Croftie
(regular) Fri 01-Jul-11 13:15:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
I do know my stuff.
But without knowing more info (the full SP, sorry to have slipped into acronyms), it'd be difficult to give any advice other than conjecture.

Fair enough, I'm awaiting a ringback today so will post the full details if that doesn't happen or outcome isn't satisfactory. I would appreciate your professional input.

So there is a number for reseting profiles that only openreach can use. Does that mean then that to get the profile reset the only way is to get an engineer visit, or can support get OR to reset it remotely aswell?

I can figure out most acronyms but that one threw me, Starting price is the most logical but another google suggests it may be Situation,Person.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Jul-11 20:19:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
My grandmother was a serious fan of the gee-gees smile

That's an unwise statement if ever I saw one tongue.

Oh I don't know, all the Saturday Night Fever stuff was pretty good ! (groan)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Jul-11 20:25:16
Print Post

So there is a number for reseting profiles that only openreach can use. Does that mean then that to get the profile reset the only way is to get an engineer visit, or can support get OR to reset it remotely aswell?

OK, maybe I need to clarify this...
You get sent on an FTTC fault. When testing on site you find that sync rates are lower than expected. You ring the number, and they do a reset, the sync comes back up to previous levels, and as someone else mentioned, the IP profiles come back up much quicker than those on BTw.

Standard User neagle
(newbie) Sat 09-Jul-11 13:09:04
Print Post

Finally! laugh

Well 3~ weeks and loads of calls to level 2 and ELC and about 6 resets of some sort. Finally have my 38~Down and 8~Up connection back.

The OR kept cancelling the Engineer, but finally was pushed through and came out today.
He was Syncing at 26~ at the socket and 27 at the Cabinet.
Resets were not working.So the Engineer requested a Lift and Shift. Took about 2HR's Finally came back and everything was as it was when I first got it installed! laughD

Kudos to the Engineer for getting it all fixed!
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jul-11 00:59:25
Print Post

Sorry to hear you have had a rocky time with previous engineers. There are a lot of 'new boys' on the park, and one wonders if they couldn't do with a tad more 'coaching'.

Standard User neagle
(newbie) Sun 10-Jul-11 10:32:29
Print Post

I only ever had 2 engineers tongue
One that did the modem swap and then this one that actually found a fault and rectified it laugh

HAPPY! tongue
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to