General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 19-Jun-11 19:22:12
Print Post

Analysis of the PCP / FTTC / FTTP data for my Exchange

[link to this post]

I've just spend a bit of time with Libre Office and the PCP to Postcode data. Incidentally this sheet is available again here.

The reason for doing the investigation was to try and find a pattern to explain those cabinets that have no FTTC or FTTP plans for my exchange (Worksop). As you can guess my cabinet is one of those (sods law).

What I found in completing this exercise is that the cabinets that do not have FTTC or FTTP marked split into the following categories:

1) Industrial Estates
2) Town Centre / Close to the Exchange
3) New estates
4) Really rural with spread-out properties

Mine falls into category 3. I've heard the theory that recent builds with underground cables are being left out of FTTC with a view to giving them FTTP in the future but my exchange already has a shed load of cabinets which have FTTP in column J.

The pessimist in me says that I might be stuck with my 2Mbs connection forever but the other cabinets that have been left out gives me some cause for optimism. Could it be simple as the roads not having been adopted or planning permission being different?

Anyone have any thought on this? (I can share my cut down spreadsheet analysis if anyone wants it.)

Mike
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Jun-11 19:59:23
Print Post

Re: Analysis of the PCP / FTTC / FTTP data for my Exchange

[re: abat] [link to this post]

Looking at the roll out of FTTC cabs round here, I'd say yes to number 1, and no to the other three.

Henley-on-Thames exchange has cab 17 literally by the front gate, this serves a quater of the town centre.

Cab 14, Twyford, in Waltham St.Laurence middle of nowhere, and still with D-sides of over 2+K.

Kennet Island in Reading, brand new, new cabs, FTTC'd up.

Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 19-Jun-11 20:33:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by abat:
What I found in completing this exercise is that the cabinets that do not have FTTC or FTTP marked split into the following categories:

1) Industrial Estates
2) Town Centre / Close to the Exchange
3) New estates
4) Really rural with spread-out properties

Anyone have any thought on this? (I can share my cut down spreadsheet analysis if anyone wants it.)

1 - Agreed.
2 - Most likley exchange only lines so cant really have FTTC and it might not fit the ROI for FTTP.
3 - If it's a small new estate it might not have enough serving lines on the cab to make it viable. (currently)
4 - If you look at Haworth exchange MYHAW it covers properties that are really really spread out.

Can you please email the excel? i'll pm my email address.

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 19-Jun-11 21:00:45
Print Post

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

I thought about the economically viable angle. I am not sure where the clipping level is but our cabinet serves the whole of a newish estate with (from a quick count) 120+ houses. There is an awful lot of Sky LLU here but I am not sure whether that would make all that much difference and I can't imagine that is much different to anywhere else.

Mike
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 19-Jun-11 21:13:05
Print Post

one 2 year old cab on a wealthy new estate feeds 500 - 600 houses not down on fttc, nor another feeding 150houses on same estate - new but far from exchange so speeds range from 1 to 5meg. All other cabs (even ones 100M away) on same estate have been done (all about 5 - 10 year old).
Are BT ignoring new cabs?
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Jun-11 21:30:58
Print Post

My cab falls into cat 3 as well.

The problem is it will not be easy to rewire blocks of flats, so I doubt this will happen. With the added issue of being a conservation area* I doubt the council will allow another BT cabinet. There was a whole fiasco over letter boxes being white when planning consent was given for cream, they had to rip them out and get new ones.

* how on earth a new build estate can be a conservation area is beyond me!

The thing is where I am none of the 405 properties in the development will be more than 300 meters from the cab so it is perfect for FTTC (if anywhere actually is).

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Sun 19-Jun-11 22:17:48
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
one 2 year old cab on a wealthy new estate feeds 500 - 600 houses not down on fttc, nor another feeding 150houses on same estate - new but far from exchange so speeds range from 1 to 5meg. All other cabs (even ones 100M away) on same estate have been done (all about 5 - 10 year old).
Are BT ignoring new cabs?

I wonder how long BT have been planning FTTC for?

I would assume that its been at least 3/4 years if not longer - as such its quite possible that the newer cabs weren't considered when your area was planned/surveyed for FTTC - and that BT will consider it as part of one of their 'in-fill' projects at a later date..

Regards
Sunil
Standard User tim27wf
(newbie) Mon 20-Jun-11 14:28:38
Print Post

Mike,
I have done my own research if you want to call it that and have similar conclusion to you. Particularly on point 1. In three locations where I live, work and a subsidary company are located the two Exchanges have gone live in May and June.

All 3 location are omitted. Both work premises are on industual estates, and my own residential location is "fed" via an industral estate I imagine on the same routing.

Houses close to me fed via overhead line and older than 25 years are now FTTC whereas my estate under 25 years but built shorlty after Ind estate are not. I suspect the route for cable would mean providing business areas with access at low cost.

I have my own theory that BT are protecting the corporate income where possible.

As I expalined on another thread, my comapany has purchased leased fibre etherent service now at almost £10K per annum.

Tim
Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Jun-11 14:46:08
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

I have seen documents around 2006...

Paul
Standard User abat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Jun-11 15:30:11
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

Interesting that the cabinet numbers of the new ones are in the middle of the range not at the end which suggests that at least the numbering happened after those cabinets existed.

Mike
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to