General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User paul1360
(member) Mon 20-Jun-11 10:36:12
Print Post

Another 1 Bites the Dust

[link to this post]

On Friday my BT modem decided to give up and like a lot of other people on BT Infinity had to have a new fitted this morning and am back to normal, It lasted just over 2 months.
Any way while the engineer was here I aasked him to show me my line stats. This is what it says:-
SNR 11dB
Line Atten. 7.1dB
DS 40000
US 10000
Above are actual, by all accounts the default SNR is 11dB, It also showed that my line cab take 54.60Mb DS and 17.85Mb US.
Just tho people may like to know as the stats can't be obtained by us.

iechyd da

Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Jun-11 13:09:41
Print Post

Re: Another 1 Bites the Dust

[re: paul1360] [link to this post]

Stopped working? I'm not surprised, as most (but not every, I hasten to add) BT domestic kit that I've ever come across has always seemed to have been designed on the back of a fag packet. In the case of that VDSL modem, they couldn't even be bothered to make it visually professional-looking. Instead, it looks more like something you'd find in a bathroom. And all that nonsense about needing to fit it to a wall and only in the vertical orientation. Need I say more?

Let's hope that soon this particular component in the FTTC setup will become 'deregulated', so that more-fitting incarnations become available to us from the likes of Netgear, Draytek, Belkin, Billion, etc., perhaps some that'll be able to collect line data that we can access. And the sooner BT introduces 'self install' also, the better, as I get fed up hearing all this tosh about the modem only working properly if it's plugged into the master socket. Gimme a break!

Yeh, it's for reasons like these that I've held back from 'going FTTC'. As things stand at present with BT's implementation of FTTC, I'd have to forfeit some useful features I get with my ADSL2 setup. As someone who struggles to get even 4M bps downstream, I can tell you it's frustrating.
Standard User paul1360
(member) Mon 20-Jun-11 13:42:18
Print Post

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

Aye it did stop working, in fact it started to smoke so I had a chat with it and told it he was 2 young to smoke but alas it ignored me lol. To be honest until it went wrong everything has been spot on for me. I understand what you say about low speeds, I was the same could only get aboyt 2Mb DS & 1Mb US now I get 38+Mb and 9+Mb US.

iechyd da

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 20-Jun-11 14:14:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by meditator:
, I'd have to forfeit some useful features I get with my ADSL2 setup.

Such as ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 20-Jun-11 16:21:37
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
In reply to a post by meditator:
, I'd have to forfeit some useful features I get with my ADSL2 setup.
Such as ?
Just what I was thinking.

I lost a useful feature when I moved on from a Triumph Spitfire, in that I could open the bonnet, put one foot on the ground next to the engine, and tune the twin SUs with a piece of rubber tubing from the air intake to my ear.

Now if only I could do that with a modern engine ....

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 20-Jun-11 18:47:50
Print Post

Ignoring what Mediator says, has the replacement modem been wall mounted ? If not, I'd suggest doing it yourself, 100ml centres.

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 20-Jun-11 20:02:12
Print Post

Ours has been "horizontally mounted" ie "on the floor" for nearly a year and it's working fine.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Mon 20-Jun-11 20:10:46
Print Post

Its a little unfair on BT kit, I remember a thread about Thomson 585V6 routers and how to modify them to reduce over-heating problems.

On an unrelated point. my Sheevaplug (I use it as a squeezebox server) bit the dust due to PSU overheat. It has been much happier with a seperate power supply.
Standard User paul1360
(member) Tue 21-Jun-11 07:55:18
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

No it's horizontally mounted on a unit with nothing around it, why is it better to be vertically mounted???????????? The only thing is that my speed has dropped from 38Mb+ to 20Mb ggggrrrrrrrrr

iechyd da

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 21-Jun-11 08:49:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by paul1360:
No it's horizontally mounted on a unit with nothing around it, why is it better to be vertically mounted???????????? The only thing is that my speed has dropped from 38Mb+ to 20Mb ggggrrrrrrrrr

iechyd da

Airflow ... it is designed to be vertically mounted - lust look at where the air vents are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to