General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User peter_g
(newbie) Mon 20-Jun-11 14:55:25
Print Post

Speeds on Sheffield node (not Infinity)

[link to this post]

Is anybody here on the Sheffield node and not on Infinity?

I'm interested in the general peformance you get from fibre.

I sync at pretty much the full 40Mbps and at this precise moment in time am speedtesting at a staggering 0.84Mbps!!!

This is below normal speed that I get, but I generally find my connection rarely gets over half speed during waking hours weekdays, a bit better at the weekends, but will never max out even at stupid o'clock, and can regularly return a red bar on the BT test.

BT login "best efforts" test has been returning close to sync speed.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 20-Jun-11 15:02:52
Print Post

Re: Speeds on Sheffield node (not Infinity)

[re: peter_g] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by peter_g:
and can regularly return a red bar on the BT test.

Those two statements don't seem to match up... do you mean your profile in the second one?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mikecrawford80
(regular) Mon 20-Jun-11 16:27:10
Print Post

Sorry, not in Sheffield, but do have questions for you... What is your network setup, wireless or any powerline adapters in use at all?

Also is BT your ISP, if not, what info can you glean from your ISP, any stats from them?

Plusnet Value Fibre
June 2011 Speedtest ...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User peter_g
(newbie) Mon 20-Jun-11 16:41:42
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
and can regularly return a red bar on the BT test.

Those two statements don't seem to match up... do you mean your profile in the second one?

I regularly red bar the first BT test when logged in via my ISP login, however using the speedtest@speedtemp_domain login to do the best efforts test (or test 3, or whatever they call it now) I get close (34127kbps) to profile (38717kbps)
Standard User peter_g
(newbie) Mon 20-Jun-11 16:58:21
Print Post

[re: mikecrawford80] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mikecrawford80:
Sorry, not in Sheffield, but do have questions for you... What is your network setup, wireless or any powerline adapters in use at all?

Also is BT your ISP, if not, what info can you glean from your ISP, any stats from them?

I made one of the four engineers BT have sent test from a PPP connection from his laptop directly wired to the VDSL modem using my ISP login, after I heard the conversation (typical, is it wireless, sounds like the customers problem, etc.) he was having with his helpdesk. So that rules out everything of mine! All their line tests from handheld kit report fine. So that points to exchange onwards.

No, it's not BT. I don't really want to mention the ISP as I (and them) don't think they are at fault.

Not got a lot of info from the ISP, other than it is probably a VP at issue. BT have to an extent acknowledged this six months ago, but no progress. Every time I raise the issue again, we seem to repeat over again, though BT seem to have stopped sending engineers!

All I know is that when the Sheffield node is reported as quiet, I get ok (not great) performance. As it is more utilised, but still with bags of bandwidth available, my performance is going seriously downhill!
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 20-Jun-11 17:34:16
Print Post

I regularly red bar the first BT test when logged in via my ISP login, however using the speedtest@speedtemp_domain login to do the best efforts test (or test 3, or whatever they call it now) I get close (34127kbps) to profile (38717kbps)
Ah, I see. So it's not your end.

It's either your ISP, in which case shout at them or it's BT, in which case it's up to your ISP to sort it out with them.

So shout at your ISP until they sort it out, because either way it's down to them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 20-Jun-11 17:57:47
Print Post

[re: mikecrawford80] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mikecrawford80:

Seeing as he is talking about the Sheffield node, I would guess it's an Entanet reseller.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to