General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User aldredd
(newbie) Tue 21-Jun-11 14:01:48
Print Post

FTTP Installation - What's the process?

[link to this post]

Happy days guys - after months of emailing ISP's, chasing, wrangling etc - finally been given a date for my FTTP installation (Bradwell Abbey Exchange, Milton Keynes)

The date I was given is 23/6 - Thursday.

So what happens?

We've already had a fleet of BT vans show up yesterday afternoon - I wasn't in, so didn't get to ask what bit they were doing.

And what sort of speeds are people experiencing on FTTP? currently get between 1mbps & 2mbps, so to be honest, anything will be better.

Far too excited - my partner though, she just doesn't understand my excitement laugh

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User nelix01
(member) Tue 21-Jun-11 15:41:45
Print Post

Re: FTTP Installation - What's the process? *DELETED*

[re: aldredd] [link to this post]

Post deleted by nelix01
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 21-Jun-11 15:45:15
Print Post

Re: FTTP Installation - What's the process?

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nelix01:
On the day of installation, the eng will visit the FTTC CAB....
Unlikely:
In reply to a post by aldredd:
finally been given a date for my FTTP installation (Bradwell Abbey Exchange, Milton Keynes)
tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User aldredd
(newbie) Tue 21-Jun-11 15:49:30
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

Thanks - so is FTTP pretty much the same process as FTTC then?

If they're just replacing the existing faceplate, that may save me some hassle, as was going to have to move quite a bit of equipment from the area, as I thought they'd need to drill for a new access point / faceplate.

The wholesale checker confirms I *should* be able to get 100mbps on fttp, just wondered what people are getting in real life.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User nelix01
(member) Tue 21-Jun-11 15:53:19
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Should have put my specs on! Completely different process for FTTP and one which I am not familiar with at all.

Original post deleted.

Edited by nelix01 (Tue 21-Jun-11 16:02:09)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 21-Jun-11 15:58:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by aldredd:
Thanks - so is FTTP pretty much the same process as FTTC then?
No, it's completely different- nelix mis-read your post as FTTC, it's easily done- FTTP is rare!

Neither of us know what's involved unfortunately, but I'm sure someone who does will be along.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Gleichfalls
(newbie) Tue 21-Jun-11 16:08:45
Print Post

Well I take it that you have an envelope sized white fibre junction box on the outside of your house next to your cavity wall box.
If so, there isnt too much for the engineer to do when he/she arrives on Thursday.
He/she will need to run a cable from the CSP (the white box) to where you would like the ONT (optical network termintation, the box to which you connect your router) within your house.
He/she will probably not touch the telephony wiring within the house. On the odd occasion they may because they could use the same conduit that feeds your master socket to put the fibre cable in.
Once the ONT is on the wall and fed by the cable back to the ONT, the engineer will splice the fibres at the CSP and then send off the ONT's serial number to give you service.

And, hey presto!
Standard User aldredd
(newbie) Tue 21-Jun-11 16:51:03
Print Post

[re: Gleichfalls] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply!

In reply to a post by Gleichfalls:
Well I take it that you have an envelope sized white fibre junction box on the outside of your house next to your cavity wall box.

No - nothing I could see. However, by 'cavity wall box', are you referring to the 50cm x 50cm panel next to the gas & elec cabinets that I have no idea what's for and can't get into? Just asked my partner who says that they were inside this panel, and there's a pile of insulation on the floor, so they've been doing something in there - have no idea what though!

If so, there isnt too much for the engineer to do when he/she arrives on Thursday.
He/she will need to run a cable from the CSP (the white box) to where you would like the ONT (optical network termintation, the box to which you connect your router) within your house.
He/she will probably not touch the telephony wiring within the house. On the odd occasion they may because they could use the same conduit that feeds your master socket to put the fibre cable in.

so, will I have a socket that take the connection from outside, into the ONT (essentially the modem, right?) or will it be a cable coming straight through the wall & into the ONT?

Once the ONT is on the wall and fed by the cable back to the ONT, the engineer will splice the fibres at the CSP and then send off the ONT's serial number to give you service.

cool - so once it's all done, how long is it until it's all ready for use? Moments / hours / days?

Thanks!

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User aldredd
(newbie) Tue 21-Jun-11 17:00:06
Print Post

For clarification, here is a pic of the cabinet they were working in (included the Elec cabinet for scale)

Here

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Gleichfalls
(newbie) Tue 21-Jun-11 18:21:08
Print Post

Hi again,
The metal plate is your cavity wall box. You have one of the larger types so I would assume the junction box I am talking about is inside. Most people have smaller cavity wall boxes which would not give enough room to install the junction point in.
The cable will come from the junction point and go directly into the ONT.
Hoping that all is successful it should only (fingers crossed) take 10 minutes after the serial number has been sent, to give you service.

Enjoy
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to