General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 22-Jun-11 11:12:40
Print Post

Web Browser cant keep up with Infinity

[link to this post]

Hi All

I had BT Infinity installed a couple weeks ago and synched at 30 meg. The problem is, whenever I am browsing my internet explorer cannot keep up!

When i download a file everything is great. However browsing the internet is a problem, going between tabs takes a few seconds all the time, as if its waiting for one of the pages to load.

Anyone had a problem with this? (First person who blames it on IE will be ignored) wink
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Wed 22-Jun-11 11:15:01
Print Post

Re: Web Browser cant keep up with Infinity

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

i would try a diff browser..... 'ie' is hopeless wink

edit: give this a try and see if it resolves your problems..i have a feeling it will wink

http://www.opera.com/browser/

Edited by djfunkdup (Wed 22-Jun-11 11:24:24)

Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Wed 22-Jun-11 13:29:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Anyone had a problem with this? (First person who blames it on IE will be ignored) wink

Will have to ignore the question then.

Seriously though it's worth seeing how the behaviour differs in other browsers. I'd guess you may have some plugin installed that's causing this issue, so perhaps check what's installed and disable anything that's not needed.

In general later versions of IE have got better. I now have IE9 installed though rarely use it apart from checking compatability. But in IE terms it's a big step forward

Are other things slow - out of cpu/memory / other stuff running ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User aldredd
(newbie) Wed 22-Jun-11 13:32:49
Print Post

What version of Internet Explorer you using? Ensure you're using the latest version, ideally don't use version 7, and CERTAINLY not version 6 (or less!)

Or, as the previous poster suggested, try another browser - I'm a big fan of Google Chrome these days - very fast browser, but some websites don't like it, so I keep IE installed as a backup

My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 22-Jun-11 14:11:57
Print Post

[re: aldredd] [link to this post]

I have IE 9 on Windows 7. Think I will try Chrome tonight and see how I get on then
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Jun-11 15:55:41
Print Post

When i download a file everything is great. However browsing the internet is a problem, going between tabs takes a few seconds all the time, as if its waiting for one of the pages to load.

That's a shame because it is IE. IE8 is diabolical - IE9 is better but the problem for me is that IE9 has no option to disable subpixel addressing. I'm sticking Chrome smile

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User Justo
(learned) Wed 22-Jun-11 16:38:20
Print Post

I have IE 9 on Windows 7. Think I will try Chrome tonight and see how I get on then

Yep, or Firefox 4
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Wed 22-Jun-11 17:41:45
Print Post

It is plausible that your problem is memory - and that you might be swapping to disk to get the tabs displayed.

Windows 7 can be a big memory hog, but I haven't heard of IE especially.

I use Firefox, and have a habit of having hundreds of tabs... which chews up memory. There is a plugin called barTab that keeps tabs out of memory until you want them.

I also discovered that the Firfox plugin "Firebug" limts throughput too. I didn't think it was active (and certainly wasn't open), but it got in the way of every connection. For Speedtest.net it limited throughput to 10Mbps instead of 34Mbps.
Standard User dustofnations
(regular) Thu 23-Jun-11 01:08:51
Print Post

Hi All

I had BT Infinity installed a couple weeks ago and synched at 30 meg. The problem is, whenever I am browsing my internet explorer cannot keep up!

It may just be that the websites you are trying to load have high latencies, this could be due to geographic distance to the servers in question (or poor peering, routing etc). Irrespective of your bandwidth you'd notice a definite 'loading' delay between your request and fulfilment because of that (add 250ms on top of normal processing overhead and you get a noticeable lag).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 23-Jun-11 08:16:15
Print Post

[re: dustofnations] [link to this post]

?
Surely unless his browsing habits have changed dramatically in the last two weeks that would have always been the case?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to