General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 27-Jun-11 17:48:50
Print Post

8200M suitable for UK's FTTC?

[link to this post]

I see that Billion now have a VDSL2 modem-router on the market - the 8200M. See here:-

http://www.billion.uk.com/product/vdsl/8200m.htm

Anyone know if this would be suitable as a replacement for Openreach's default modem?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 27-Jun-11 18:17:52
Print Post

Re: 8200M suitable for UK's FTTC?

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

BT are compliant with G.993.2 and use Profile 8C at present, but with the future doubling of speeds you would need to be sure that the profile BT plan to use is supported by the modem (I believe it may be 30A)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Jun-11 22:04:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by meditator:
I see that Billion now have a VDSL2 modem-router on the market - the 8200M. See here:-

http://www.billion.uk.com/product/vdsl/8200m.htm

Anyone know if this would be suitable as a replacement for Openreach's default modem?

It is a modem ONLY; the modem/router will be 8200N.

I tested one of these a few months ago and was less than impressed as it downloaded at less than my BTO modem does.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Jun-11 23:18:40
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
BT are compliant with G.993.2 and use Profile 8C at present, but with the future doubling of speeds you would need to be sure that the profile BT plan to use is supported by the modem (I believe it may be 30A)

17a.
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jun-11 11:36:45
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

I'm surprised to learn from you that it's a modem only, as its product information at the Billion website specifically states that it incorporates a 4-port Ethernet switch. Are you certain we're discussing the self same piece of kit?

I take on board what you and others have now stated, but I'm wondering if, in your own assessment of this, you've been looking for the very best speeds and nothing much else. For example, BT may well be planning to double the top FTTC speed in due course but few people will be able to take advantage of it. My guess is that only those situated 100m or less from their cabinet will benefit. For others, the increases will be minimal.

Also, much depends on one's view of the speed obtained under FTTC. For most people, I would think that they wouldn't quibble in getting anything from about 20M bps upward (since the average that people currently get on ADSL Max/ADSL2 is about 4M bps). Surely, it's only going to be gamers and the like who are going to be super-critical about the line speed?

So, just how much slower was the Billion 8200M compared to the Openreach modem?

Something else I haven't mentioned is reliability. There's increasing evidence that the Openreach modem is poorly designed, at least from the thermal point of view. More and more people are having to have them replaced, which clearly is not a good sign. Possibly, the Billion device is better in that regard? Perhaps also it'll be possible for the user to get the line stats from the Billion device, whereas we know that that's not the case with the Openreach device?
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jun-11 11:40:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by meditator:
I'm surprised to learn from you that it's a modem only, as its product information at the Billion website specifically states that it incorporates a 4-port Ethernet switch. Are you certain we're discussing the self same piece of kit?
A switch is not the same as a router.
Standard User Ribble
(member) Tue 28-Jun-11 12:28:45
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

It does though suggest that the unit has routing ability otherwise there is no point having a multi port switch built in
Standard User ggremlin
(member) Tue 28-Jun-11 12:43:45
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

one reason for multiple ports, without routing:
you can use two of them back to back as an ethernet extender,
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jun-11 12:48:59
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Perhaps, but there is no mention of a firewall or NAT, which is present on most, if not all, routers..
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-Jun-11 14:18:20
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

I must admit that, when I read its main features on the Billion webpage, I assumed that the "4-port switch" entailed a router. Of course, retrospectively, there's no reason why it should. However, I don't think it'd worry me too much if it doesn't, as in the UK marketplace there are plenty of suitable, separate routers from which to choose.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to