General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User beercan
(newbie) Wed 29-Jun-11 20:26:24
Print Post

Exeter Fibre availability - BT messing about?

[link to this post]

Hi,

BT's Infinity coverage map says Exeter goes live tomorrow for Infinity, however my postcode check on the Infinity pages says no plans for at least 6 months (can't use my tel no as with Sky).
I phoned BT and they said I can't get it and they don't know why it conflicts, but check the SamKnows website as this is normally right. I did a postcode check on SamKnows and this says FTTC available.

I then did a check on the BT wholesale site for my postcode and that said FTTC available.
I checked my house no. and postcode it doesn't show anything except ADSL options.

I've just discovered that document listing all the postcodes and mine says FTTP roll-out phase 5a, and there have been a lot of BT vans and workmen in the main street this past 2 weeks.

None of the Fibre providers can give me an answer as they say they check what BT says and BT says no...

So, can anyone please help me by explaining what and when I'm likely to be able to get FTTC or FTTP please?

It's so frustrating not being able to get an answer from any of the Fibre companies when all these online sites suggest it's live...!

Many Thanks!
Standard User MadPom
(regular) Wed 29-Jun-11 22:09:45
Print Post

Re: Exeter Fibre availability - BT messing about?

[re: beercan] [link to this post]

The only checker that you can trust at this stage is the BT Wholesale one, using your phone number. The postcode checker said FTTC was available to me 3 months before the cabinet went live. Checking my phone number gave no trace that FTTC was pending until about 2-4 weeks before it went live. Even then the initial date offered was several months into the future. This was revised about a week before it actually went live. For a telecommunications company, BT really don't know how to communicate information. Be patient, it will become available when it's ready...
Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Wed 29-Jun-11 22:31:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by beercan:
I've just discovered that document listing all the postcodes and mine says FTTP roll-out phase 5a, and there have been a lot of BT vans and workmen in the main street this past 2 weeks.

Does your postcode get split across multiple cabinets?

The "Percentage lines" column will show what % of lines in that postcode are served by that particular cabinet. If it shows 100% (or two+ separate entries add up to 100%) and says FTTP, then you look to be highly fortunate - in that BT have selected you for fibre proper.

However, recent reports show the FTTP trial to be delayed by 6 months - which presumably has a knock-on effect on those areas meant to be going live with FTTP.

More patience needed, probably - but I could live with the patience for that one!

Samknows isn't often right with fibre. It only holds data at an exchange level - so if the exchange is live with a single cabinet, then Samknows shows it as available. And even the data it *does* hold is often out of date.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User beercan
(newbie) Wed 29-Jun-11 22:44:33
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks,

The postcode has one cabinet and shows as 100% and FTTP.
I take it FTTP is going to be significantly more expensive than FTTC too?

Oh, BTW, my phone no doesn't work in the checker as it's with Sky so BT have no info on it (despite it previously being a BT line).

Regards,

Edited by beercan (Wed 29-Jun-11 23:40:53)

Standard User WWWombat
(committed) Thu 30-Jun-11 00:40:39
Print Post

Plusnet are still trialling it, so it doesn't cost any extra there wink

The link in my last post had a paragraph that didn't quite make sense in the context written, but if I quote it here to answer you:
For punters it shouldn’t make any difference as BT is likely to specify both services at the same level. In other words they will say 80Megs and the underlying delivery technology will be irrelevant. This won’t quite be true because those benefitting from FTTP should get the stated maximum throughput whilst the FTTC lines will average out at a lower speed over their copper lines.

That sounds like BT expects to have a single "up to 80Mbps" product, and will provision it over whichever FTTx is available to you.

You may have more future-proof connections available that *will* cost more...
Standard User burakkucat
(member) Thu 30-Jun-11 02:23:20
Print Post

Oh, BTW, my phone no doesn't work in the checker as it's with Sky so BT have no info on it (despite it previously being a BT line).
Would one if your neighbours allow you to check by using their telephone number? That is exactly what I had to do -- as I was LLU'd and my neighbour was with BT.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User beercan
(newbie) Thu 30-Jun-11 18:54:12
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Thanks, there's only 6 houses on our postcode and of the people I know, nobody is with BT (all with Sky, Orange etc). frown

Have had another afternoon of pestering BT and everyone just says "check the website". One chap gave me the no for Openreach but when I phoned them they denied having anything to do with Infinity, and denied they upgrade the cabinets, lines etc!

Seems like I'm not going to get anywhere with this... frown
Standard User burakkucat
(member) Thu 30-Jun-11 19:21:09
Print Post

Thanks, there's only 6 houses on our postcode and of the people I know, nobody is with BT (all with Sky, Orange etc). frown
You do not necessarily need one of you neighbours to be with BT Retail as their ISP, you just need them not to be LLU'd. In that case, their ISP is re-selling from BT Wholesale and so the BT Wholesale checker will work! wink

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User beercan
(learned) Thu 30-Jun-11 20:18:43
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

How would we tell if they are LLU'd please?
My next door neighbour and 3 down say the same as mine when searching their phone nos...

Thanks smile
Standard User izools
(experienced) Sun 03-Jul-11 16:56:09
Print Post

Hi,

BT's Infinity coverage map says Exeter goes live tomorrow for Infinity, however my postcode check on the Infinity pages says no plans for at least 6 months (can't use my tel no as with Sky).
I phoned BT and they said I can't get it and they don't know why it conflicts, but check the SamKnows website as this is normally right. I did a postcode check on SamKnows and this says FTTC available.

I then did a check on the BT wholesale site for my postcode and that said FTTC available.
I checked my house no. and postcode it doesn't show anything except ADSL options.

None of the Fibre providers can give me an answer as they say they check what BT says and BT says no...

So, can anyone please help me by explaining what and when I'm likely to be able to get FTTC or FTTP please?

It's so frustrating not being able to get an answer from any of the Fibre companies when all these online sites suggest it's live...!

Many Thanks!

Beercan - although Samknows shows WWEXTR is live that's only on a couple of cabs out towards the edge of the exchange's reach; out the other side of Countess Wear just before the Topsham exchange takes over and the far end of Pinhoe before the Pinhoe exchange takes over.

Most places are still being installed by Openreach and a lot not until Christmas.

I've found that FTTP postcodes don't show as having a service available on the BT Wholesale checker, and FTTP / FTTC are mutually exclusive, so if you're in an FTTP area you won't be able to opt for FTTC.

FTTP checks don't work by phone number anyway as the service isn't delievered by phone line; the most reliable is to search by house number and postcode for FTTP; however FTTP runs are still being installed aroud the city so we'll have to wait until closer to Christmas.

And then find a provider actually still running an FTTP trial at that time.

Just go to sit tight until then methinks smile

Delivered over 5GHz 802.11N via a Netgear DGND3300
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to